What's new

Neck troubles

Well gents, another thread complaining about neck shaving. You’ve probably heard it all, one pass, with the grain, no pressure. My issue is with the grain is sideways on my neck which makes the angle tough to get right, and my hair is very curly. Even weirder, if I use a dollar shave club six blade razor, I can do one pass xtg as rough as I want with almost no soap and it’ll be irritation free and closer than I get out of three passes with my gc 84. Especially down at the bottom near my adam’s apple, where the hair barely even grows out, constant ingrown hairs. I’m using stirling soap, well lathered, hot shower and hot towel, the works. Anyone able to point me toward a reason why the carts work so well but a nice de is causing me so many troubles?

Cartridge and disposable razors are designed to work with pressure and a basically fixed shave angle with the head flat against the skin. This works well but is different than most DE razors. In my short experience with DE razors (just under 1 year), the usual culprits causing irritation are insufficient pre-shave prep, insufficient lather slickness, and too much pressure.

From your description it sounds like your pre-shave prep is pretty good and Stirling is a good soap. It might be that your lather is not hydrated enough. I have learned good lather is very wet and almost runny. The primary goal is slickness. You might also try a pre-shave for your neck. I have tried several and they seem to work pretty well for me.

In regards to pressure: I think it's pretty accurate to say that too much pressure with a DE is likely to cause razor burn. When I started using DE razors I had to "unlearn" 20+ years of cartridge shaving habits. There is a learning curve to using a DE razor effectively. With a stainless steel razor like you have, the weight of the razor can do the work on your neck. Try altering your grip on the razor to see if you can achieve a lighter touch.

My lower neck also defies nature. Hairs growing every which way. I haven't even attempted to map growth direction.

My neck shaving consists of three passes, in this order:

WTG, XTG, ATG

Pretty standard, but at least I know I'm hitting my neck whiskers from (almost) every direction. I don't over-shave my neck, and STOP after those three passes, maybe with a touchup, but only if I've obviously missed a spot. I always get a smooth neck, never even try for BBS.

I’ve taken to trying an xtg pass only, which for me is just n/s except for one small section which is wtg in that direction. Oddly enough the worst burn and ingrown hairs are where the least amount of hair is. I suppose there’s probably ways I can use less pressure, and I’ll try more water. I’ve tried cold water shaving recently as well, mostly to save time.

I should also add that I do have a preshave oil but it never seems to make a big difference at all, so I’ve given up on it most of the time. Last few times I’ve simply washed my face with cold water (cold water’s not very cold in Florida) and then lathered up and gone to town.

I’ve taken to trying an xtg pass only, which for me is just n/s except for one small section which is wtg in that direction. Oddly enough the worst burn and ingrown hairs are where the least amount of hair is. I suppose there’s probably ways I can use less pressure, and I’ll try more water. I’ve tried cold water shaving recently as well, mostly to save time.
Light pressure on its own will not work unless you have the correct blade angle and I think that may be part of the problem. This may help; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade

My neck hairs grow similar to yours.
I could shave up or down across the grain a half dozen times and not really "catch" the hairs well enough.
If I shave sideways with the grain, not only will I not "catch" the hairs but I have poor blade contact. Sideways against the grain also has poor blade contact, plus lots of irritation.
First pass, I shave north to south for initial reduction.
Second pass, I shave at roughly a 45° angle, top to bottom, towards the center.
Third pass, roughly 45° angle again, bottom to top, towards the center, again.
That is it. No clean up passes. Ever.
The angle passes are a hybrid of across and against the grain. This is enough to thoroughly "catch" the hairs without chewing my neck up.
This gives me an irritation free shave that consistently is maybe 90% of BBS, 7 days a week.
I will add. I do zero pre-shave, besides cold water, face lather, and shave before I shower.

My neck hairs grow similar to yours.
I could shave up or down across the grain a half dozen times and not really "catch" the hairs well enough.
If I shave sideways with the grain, not only will I not "catch" the hairs but I have poor blade contact. Sideways against the grain also has poor blade contact, plus lots of irritation.
First pass, I shave north to south for initial reduction.
Second pass, I shave at roughly a 45° angle, top to bottom, towards the center.
Third pass, roughly 45° angle again, bottom to top, towards the center, again.
That is it. No clean up passes. Ever.
The angle passes are a hybrid of across and against the grain. This is enough to thoroughly "catch" the hairs without chewing my neck up.
This gives me an irritation free shave that consistently is maybe 90% of BBS, 7 days a week.
I will add. I do zero pre-shave, besides cold water, face lather, and shave before I shower.
This is an interesting idea I never thought of. I’m gonna play with xtg only blade angle first, and then once that is irritation free I’ll try these angles. Thanks!

This is an interesting idea I never thought of. I’m gonna play with xtg only blade angle first, and then once that is irritation free I’ll try these angles. Thanks!
I am not saying my method is the only way, but maybe play with angle of direction. Maybe find what works for you?

As far as MY neck goes:
If I shaved say every other day I could get away with against the grain. Since I shave seven days a week, directly against the grain is to harsh.
I have found that 3 passes is my maximum on a daily basis. I figured out how to make them count with the least irritation.

I spent several years (and hundreds of dollars) trying several highly rated DE razors and many blades. You don’t need an advanced degree to learn how to use a DE but many will claim you need another 10 years to figure it out.

Then one day when I wasn’t feeling well (and was looking for a lower drama shave) I used some Barbasol and a Gillette Twin Blade disposable. Super close and comfortable shave.

I have not used a DE in months. I settled on the Bic Twin Select disposable as my razor. It’s faster, safer, and more comfy than any DE I’ve used. I still make lather with soaps and creams with a brush when the weather is really dry and cold as it gives me better protection. But if I lived in Florida I’d just use Barbasol. It’s cheap and easy.

Keep using your carts and stop wasting your time trying to fix something that was not broken to begin with. You will not save money unless you buy one razor and pack of blades and use that for a long time.

I actually started using this technique trying to get a SMOOTH shave, not a close shave. I HATE a rough, snaggy, patchy shave. Having the hairs cut cleanly, consistently, and evenly matters more to me than length.
This method gets me a smooth shave, it is just a nice extra for me that this also gets me a close shave.

I really do not do clean up passes. I just trust that my 3 passes at 3 different angles are going to catch everything. Once my detectable stubble dries out and shrinks, I am dang near BBS everywhere. If not, no body can tell the difference. Either way, in a couple hours my face will be rough with stubble again as it is already growing back.
And, I am just shaving it all off again tomorrow.

J hooking works for me on the lower neck. I have similar growth and this method provides just short of BBS which I have grown to accept now. For the sake of leaving a minimal amount of whiskers, I'm completely irritation free and good to go again a day or two later.

I spent several years (and hundreds of dollars) trying several highly rated DE razors and many blades. You don’t need an advanced degree to learn how to use a DE but many will claim you need another 10 years to figure it out.

Then one day when I wasn’t feeling well (and was looking for a lower drama shave) I used some Barbasol and a Gillette Twin Blade disposable. Super close and comfortable shave.

I have not used a DE in months. I settled on the Bic Twin Select disposable as my razor. It’s faster, safer, and more comfy than any DE I’ve used. I still make lather with soaps and creams with a brush when the weather is really dry and cold as it gives me better protection. But if I lived in Florida I’d just use Barbasol. It’s cheap and easy.

Keep using your carts and stop wasting your time trying to fix something that was not broken to begin with. You will not save money unless you buy one razor and pack of blades and use that for a long time.
I got into it hoping for a closer shave. On my face, it worked perfectly, I rarely irritate myself anymore unless I’m messing around too much, and the carts left me feeling like the rough side of a sponge. The neck turned out to be the opposite, going from minor spottiness and mostly smooth to a major pain for me. I could go back to carts completely but I feel like I’d rather try and make the DE finish what I started using it for. Went one pass xtg today being careful about angle and it was alright other than some spots that were already there being irritated again.

I got into it hoping for a closer shave. On my face, it worked perfectly, I rarely irritate myself anymore unless I’m messing around too much, and the carts left me feeling like the rough side of a sponge. The neck turned out to be the opposite, going from minor spottiness and mostly smooth to a major pain for me. I could go back to carts completely but I feel like I’d rather try and make the DE finish what I started using it for. Went one pass xtg today being careful about angle and it was alright other than some spots that were already there being irritated again.

You can always use a cart on your neck only and a DE everywhere else.

I found that DE razors without good blade support (many of them) were the cause of my hard to shave places. Carts plow right through those areas with ease, for me anyway. Good luck!

J hooking works for me on the lower neck. I have similar growth and this method provides just short of BBS which I have grown to accept now. For the sake of leaving a minimal amount of whiskers, I'm completely irritation free and good to go again a day or two later.
I agree, the J Hook works great for this. It is a technique worth exploring.
I just don't have the dexterity for anymore it with my beat up hands.
Recovering from bilateral carpal tunnel release right now (already so much better). But, the arthritis precludes the fancy stuff.

You can always use a cart on your neck only and a DE everywhere else.

I found that DE razors without good blade support (many of them) were the cause of my hard to shave places. Carts plow right through those areas with ease, for me anyway. Good luck!
I have considered this, thanks for the advice. I will also look into this j hooking technique.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I saw the title of this thread and I was immediately reminded of my only "neck trubble": when I allow my neck to swivel while I'm out with my lovely War Department and it swings my head around to look at something that I shouldn't.

Then my neck trubble is usually quickly followed by Deltoid trubble once she slugs me!

I got it rough, I tell ya!

Top Bottom