What's new

Razor used in "1923" by Harrison Ford

Iridian

Cool and slimy
like I said, the King Tiger stand-ins are forgivable. Nazi industry only ever built 492 in total.

Not forgivable is the buying of a cheap small consumer item like a Gillette Old type on an expensive film production, and it being screwed up by child 'researchers'!
+100.

Seriously, when I started reading this thread I was already thinking "wonder if the razor used was made after 1923" and bingo... oh well.

There is no excuse, it's not as if these razors would be hard to acquire or overly expensive.

Mind you, filmic inaccuracies are not confined to razors..

The Battle Of The Bulge (1965)

Oh look, here come some Tiger II (Tiger B) tanks!

The Tiger II's are in fact US Army post-war M47's. At least the M24 Chafee light tanks used by the US forces here are period correct.

I can forgive not getting hold of a hundred real King Tigers for a film.

What is unforgivable is not getting hold of a Gillette Old for a high budget 2022 film production when they can be picked up on the bay for $40!
Not to mention the appearance of a piano that Mozart was supposedly playing in his childhood in the movie Amadeus. Might as well have had his mom heatng up his lunch for him in a microwave.

This is a modern razor. As far as I know, not many people know her.

vlcsnap-2020-04-14-02h25m24s498-1030x579.jpg

For sure the EJ head.

Guy has a fair bit of irritation on the neck and a weeper on the face; not so sure it's great advertising for either the razor or for traditional shaving. He needs to figure out his lathering, imo.
And I have a war in the country, and at this time I use the foam from the balloon along with the DE razor. Although next time I will take soap for the first time in almost a year.

The ones from the screenshots look like some kind of frankenrazor Slim Twist derivative.

Amazing that a £100 million or whatever production is spoiled by poor, ignorant research. They should respect viewers more. Many who watch historical pieces are knowledgable and are keen observers of the little things.

They could have bought a period correct razor for $40. They didn't even have to have put a blade in. The effort would have been enough to get a nod of thanks from us period correct artifact nerds.

But no.

Last edited:
It does increasingly look like a mashup. Which makes absolutely no sense (from our non-industry perspectives). Not only could they could’ve bought correct vintage razors all day long for peanuts; they also could’ve bought modern clones/repros all day long for not much more… surely that would’ve been easier and cheaper than paying the costume dept. to spend the time modifying an incorrect razor into something even more incorrect?

It does increasingly look like a mashup. Which makes absolutely no sense (from our non-industry perspectives). Not only could they could’ve bought correct vintage razors all day long for peanuts; they also could’ve bought modern clones/repros all day long for not much more… surely that would’ve been easier and cheaper than paying the costume dept. to spend the time modifying an incorrect razor into something even more incorrect?
We have a saying about such cases:

I'm an painter and that's how I see it

Без названия (45).jpeg

It looks like a TTO head from the first pic.

It's a bloody 1964 English Gillette Slim Twist!!

Nooooooooooooo!!!
proxy.php

Cream plastic handle. Sooo 1923.

The handle ribbing looks slightly different, in that it doesn't go all the way to the head, and the opening mechanism knurling looks horizontal instead of vertical.

But it's some freaking Slim Twist clone.

1923 eh? Stunningly ignorant and sloppy period research.
No, the ribs aren't like a Slim Twist. On the Slim Twist they go up right to the TTO knob. In the film they reach only halfway through that white material whatever it is. And you should have noticed the 2 rings on the razor Ford uses. They are not on the Slim Twist.

Top Bottom