What's new

Newbie from DownUnder (Perth)

Hi All

Newbie here to B&B from Perth Australia.

Been DE shaving for a couple of years, but wanted to experiment more in it. I've got a Merkur 34C HD and now dipping my feet into some vintage Gillettes. I've bought the following Gillettes over the last week and waiting for them all to arrive:
  • Gillette USA ‘New’ long comb (1934 Red & Black)
Gillette Red and Black - 1.jpg

• Gillette USA 'Aristocrat' Slim Adjustable (1966)
Gillette 1966 Adjustable - 1.jpg

• Gillette UK 'Rocket' (1958)
Gillette Rocket - 1 copy.jpg

• Gillette Super Slim Twist (1979)
Gillette Slim Twist TTO  copy.jpg

Cheers, John

I was hoping the rocket would arrive this week, but looks like won't be until next week.

I'm also looking to add a Red Tip Super Speed to see what they're like.
Hi @Celts88 welcome to our world!

The Red Tip is a nice razor, a very nice razor. Good looking and with nice weight. Here's mine
IMG_20220928_200627157.jpg

That's a B-4 last quarter 1956. Set your Slim on 5-6 to get a pretty close idea as to how it shaves.

I find it shaves very much like my 1953-4 English Rockets, but I would like to try an English Red.

The English TTO's tend to be a tad more efficient. None of us here know quite why.

See you around!

Last edited:
Hi @Celts88 welcome to our world!

The Red Tip is a nice razor, a very nice razor. Good looking and with nice weight. Here's mine
View attachment 1582917

That's a B-4 last quarter 1956. Set your Slim on 5-6 to get a pretty close idea as to how it shaves.

I find it shaves very much like my 1953-4 English Rockets, but I would like to try an English Red.

The English TTO's tend to be a tad more efficient. None of us here know quite why.

See you around!
Alum

Thanks for the photo and info on your Red Tip.

I managed to find a very much used one here in Australia for a very good price and I'm going to give it a go and see if I like the red's. At the moment I'm buying an assortment of razors primarily to use so cosmetics isn't as big a deal as long as there in good working order and minimal plating damage.

Photo of local red tip razor with no red tip 😜

Gillette Red Tip -2.jpg

Gillette Red Tip -4.jpg

Gillette Red Tip -3.jpg

Gillette Red Tip -5.jpg

Top Bottom