What's new

Why the emphasis on the material of a razor in the wet shaving world?

hey guys I wanted to ask why is there such an emphasis with the material of a razor in the wet shaving world?

I have to be honest I've always been surprised that the material of a razor means so much to many people within the wet shaving community

Even after wet shaving for some time it doesn't really bother me tbh

I can understand wanting something that will last for life like a stainless steel razor but saying that most people have plenty of razors in their dens so not like it's going to be the only one thats being relied on

Of course like anything wet shaving YMMV but my question is why is the material of a razor so important to you?

Would be great to hear from razor manufacturers on these forums too, thanks saj 👍💯🔥

I’m not sure it’s very important but it does have an effect on the weight and face-feel, and that can make a meaningful difference to how much you enjoy a particular razor. Also looks matter, and a polished copper razor, for example, can look very nice.

A small but increasing number of razor manufacturers offer a wide choice of materials now (e.g. Karve, Wolfman), and it’s a nice option to have.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm not sure I've read a great deal of emphasis on razor material used here, but it can make a difference. Some people like the looks of a razor. While I'm not personally too excited by their looks, I keep my car clean inside and out while some people do neither. I'm comfortable with everyone finding their own comfort level on these things.

SS is heavier, which can make a difference in the shave, as can the lightness of titanium. Some people think $7 wine tastes the same as $40 wine. I'm fine with that (and a little jealous), but it's not my experience.

It's a big world, and I appreciate choice. I play a $2.50 golf ball and my partner plays a $4.00 ball. It's all good. I think each person decides what is important for them and (hopefully) makes purchases that bring them some joy. I suspect that is what is at the basis of your question: many care about razor metal and many don't. Some of us use $2 soap and some use $50 soap. As long as everyone gets to use what they like I'm happy.

I hope that helps, it's all I've got.

The past year or so, I've heavily revisited vintage DE razors. I've always been impressed with the engineering that focused on simplicity and mild but efficient shaves as well as the history and seemingly almost endless lifespan of these razors. Most of them are brass, coated with nickel and if you don't drop it on the tile floor, should last many more decades.

I think that some shavers are looking for that longevity, as well as chasing the holy grail of the perfectly efficient, (perhaps mild face feel?) Perhaps starting with the stainless steel Weber DE ($75, IIRC), we were off to the races. Now there's a wide variety of stainless steel razors ranging from inexpensive RazoRock razors to finely machined razors that are hundreds of dollars.

One of my favorite razors remains the zamak Merkur 34. Will it last as long as my vintage Gillettes or Schick razors, probably not. Yet it's older than 10 years and shows no sign of rot. Do I get a better shave with any other razor than the old Merkur, not really.

As always, YMMV and if you enjoy, trying custom stainless, copper, brass razors, more power to you.

Weight, Feel, Look. This is the main thing. Then some people who have more money than most will buy that special razor made of very costly material because they can.
I personally like to have a few options just because. No other reason than that. It's nice to see different colors in the drawer or to be holding a different material now and then besides chrome plating. Rose Gold plating is pretty in my opinion but I've only found it on cheap razors. So I have two.

I’m not sure it’s very important but it does have an effect on the weight and face-feel, and that can make a meaningful difference to how much you enjoy a particular razor. Also looks matter, and a polished copper razor, for example, can look very nice.

A small but increasing number of razor manufacturers offer a wide choice of materials now (e.g. Karve, Wolfman), and it’s a nice option to have.
yea i think material of a razor is a choice up there when people are going out to buy a new modern razor

the ciooper karve do look sick i got to say

I like that my SS razors have no alignment issues, drop the blade in, perfect. On the other hand I fiddle with Merkurs for minutes to get an even exposure and a perfect alignment. Mühle-s are better, only a little play is allowed, but there is some.

I like that question!

For me, it’s the allure of novelty and because I’m not graceful. That said, I haven’t ruined my zamack razors yet and their chrome layer is so shiny.
yea maybe just that feel good factor and a bit of eye candy lol

Last edited:
I'm not sure I've read a great deal of emphasis on razor material used here, but it can make a difference. Some people like the looks of a razor. While I'm not personally too excited by their looks, I keep my car clean inside and out while some people do neither. I'm comfortable with everyone finding their own comfort level on these things.

SS is heavier, which can make a difference in the shave, as can the lightness of titanium. Some people think $7 wine tastes the same as $40 wine. I'm fine with that (and a little jealous), but it's not my experience.

It's a big world, and I appreciate choice. I play a $2.50 golf ball and my partner plays a $4.00 ball. It's all good. I think each person decides what is important for them and (hopefully) makes purchases that bring them some joy. I suspect that is what is at the basis of your question: many care about razor metal and many don't. Some of us use $2 soap and some use $50 soap. As long as everyone gets to use what they like I'm happy.

I hope that helps, it's all I've got.
yea of course each to their own just wanted a bit more of an understanding

One of my favorite razors is a Parker Variant. Zamak head brass handle. I bought a second as a backup if needed in a couple decades. lol

But I do appreciate the options out there and it's nice having a heirloom to pass down. I have my grandfather's he used for decades and I used it for decades and will soon be my son's.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
a bit of eye candy

My favorite wetshaving eye-candy is pictures of other people’s Rocnel Sailor razors.

I doubt they’d be what I enjoy using (Karve brass Overlander, a bajillion RazoRock razors in zamack, steel, and aluminum, zamack R41, Fatip Grande, old GEM and Ever-Ready SEs…) and I could never justify the price tag for myself, but the pics of them are like Hypnotoad to my eyeballs.

EB9A2F5D-3B31-493B-A67A-4D21B1788541.gif

The past year or so, I've heavily revisited vintage DE razors. I've always been impressed with the engineering that focused on simplicity and mild but efficient shaves as well as the history and seemingly almost endless lifespan of these razors. Most of them are brass, coated with nickel and if you don't drop it on the tile floor, should last many more decades.

I think that some shavers are looking for that longevity, as well as chasing the holy grail of the perfectly efficient, (perhaps mild face feel?) Perhaps starting with the stainless steel Weber DE ($75, IIRC), we were off to the races. Now there's a wide variety of stainless steel razors ranging from inexpensive RazoRock razors to finely machined razors that are hundreds of dollars.

One of my favorite razors remains the zamak Merkur 34. Will it last as long as my vintage Gillettes or Schick razors, probably not. Yet it's older than 10 years and shows no sign of rot. Do I get a better shave with any other razor than the old Merkur, not really.

As always, YMMV and if you enjoy, trying custom stainless, copper, brass razors, more power to you.
yea i think people are looking for a bit mroe simple a minimilist lifestyle not just to do with razors too,
you know todays orlds all about consuming things, whether it be materials or whatever

nothing wrong with it as such as each to their own just my thoughts i suppose

Weight, Feel, Look. This is the main thing. Then some people who have more money than most will buy that special razor made of very costly material because they can.
I personally like to have a few options just because. No other reason than that. It's nice to see different colors in the drawer or to be holding a different material now and then besides chrome plating. Rose Gold plating is pretty in my opinion but I've only found it on cheap razors. So I have two.
yea i suppose its a luxury and people like to treat themselves with whatever so yea those are the main reasons as to why materials are important to people

I like that my SS razors have no alignment issues, drop the blade in, perfect. On the other hand I fiddle with Merkurs for minutes to get an even exposure and a perfect alignment. Mühle-s are better, only a little play is allowed, but there is some.
cant SS razors have alignment issues? i mean i didnt think material of a razor could stop QC issues?

Top Bottom