What's new

How many razors do you have?

A tiny Gilette from -65 ish. (nice)
Mercur Futur. (to aggressive, even with #1 and Derby greens.)
Mercur 34c.(ok, on the harsh side, ok with Derby greens.)
Mercur 37c.(ok, on the harsh side, ok with Derby greens.)
Rockwell 6s. (best so far, plate 3, Treet platinum Is my sweatspot.)

next: Feather as-d2 or tatara masamune or Karve CB with A-plate. Probably with Treet platinum, who seems to suit my skin best.
Probably just a notmal beard with a sensitive skin.
Ím a newbie so please gimme other choises .

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A tiny Gilette from -65 ish. (nice)
Mercur Futur. (to aggressive, even with #1 and Derby greens.)
Mercur 34c.(ok, on the harsh side, ok with Derby greens.)
Mercur 37c.(ok, on the harsh side, ok with Derby greens.)
Rockwell 6s. (best so far, plate 3, Treet platinum Is my sweatspot.)

next: Feather as-d2 or tatara masamune or Karve CB with A-plate. Probably with Treet platinum, who seems to suit my skin best.
Probably just a notmal beard with a sensitive skin.
Ím a newbie so please gimme other choises .
Straight razors, but first read the warning:

After almost three years of SR shaving, I am down to only 38. At the end of my first years I was up to 67 (that included 5 matching seven-day sets).

Of my current 38, 31 are in current rotation, 3 are in Dopp bags for travel and the other four are being PIFed. I also have one more now winging its way to me.

SR shaving to me is not a hobby, it's an addiction. I am trying to keep my SR stable to a reasonable number.

And this further increase the cost of SRs :mad1:.

Upset because someone else might buy more razors for thier addiction, because it raises the cost for you to buy more razors for your addiction. Yep, that seems fair...🤷‍♂️

Just enough, I think, maybe just one more.
I may have that one ;-)

As a favor to a friend-of-a-friend I recently purchased an estate sale lot of razors so, at the moment, I have too many. I have a box of about 30 European razors(and a couple of Americans) that I select from when I straight shave.

I'm already too late in the game of SR's, so everything is already more expensive to me:mad2:
Naw don't be so negative. You can still buy vintage razors on the big auction site for reasonable prices at times. It wasn't a few months ago I won a lot for about $80 bucks. In this lot was a Boker in so-so shape, a beautiful and older George Wostenholm nearly 8/8 with steel in great shape, a pretty mangled joseph elliot with decent bone scales, a Johan Engstrom frame back, a generic london cutlery from little valley NY that actually turned into an ok shaver, and a Thistlecut that I'm still working out a chip in the edge on. The Wostenholm alone is one of my best shavers and was worth what I paid for the lot. Some of the other razors have issues, but all can shave and are worth keeping.

You haven't missed the boat. You will need to learn to hone. No better way than to get some stones and buy some beater razors on the bay.

Naw don't be so negative. You can still buy vintage razors on the big auction site for reasonable prices at times. It wasn't a few months ago I won a lot for about $80 bucks. In this lot was a Boker in so-so shape, a beautiful and older George Wostenholm nearly 8/8 with steel in great shape, a pretty mangled joseph elliot with decent bone scales, a Johan Engstrom frame back, a generic london cutlery from little valley NY that actually turned into an ok shaver, and a Thistlecut that I'm still working out a chip in the edge on. The Wostenholm alone is one of my best shavers and was worth what I paid for the lot. Some of the other razors have issues, but all can shave and are worth keeping.

You haven't missed the boat. You will need to learn to hone. No better way than to get some stones and buy some beater razors on the bay.
That's exactly what I'm up to now. Hope I can score something worthwhile:punk:

38 straights, 35 in rotation, 3 kamisori needing to be honed, 5 DE. There, I've said it. I feel better now. Off to shop!!

I own 18 and I am expecting delivery of another Heljestrand from the EU this week. It is nearly impossible for me to sell any of my razors. Whenever I think about selling one or two I remember the Ferengi Rule of Acquisition which states, "A man is only worth the sum of his possessions".

I have 5, mainly because I wasn't sure what point style I needed. I think I've settled on one Spanish point and one Dutch point as far as what I really need, and will likely ebay the others

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have 5, mainly because I wasn't sure what point style I needed. I think I've settled on one Spanish point and one Dutch point as far as what I really need, and will likely ebay the others
What about grind? There is:
Wedge​
Near wedge​
¼ hollow​
½ hollow​
Full hollow​
Extra hollow​
Frame back​
That's another 12 SRs you will need to get. One style in each with a Spanish point and a Dutch point.

Wedge​
Near wedge​
¼ hollow​
½ hollow​
Full hollow​
Extra hollow​
Frame back​
That's another 12 SRs you will need to get. One style in each with a Spanish point and a Dutch point.
Don’t forget the different finishes - satin, mirror, blued

theres a few magnitudes too be applied

Wedge​
Near wedge​
¼ hollow​
½ hollow​
Full hollow​
Extra hollow​
Frame back​
Yeah, I have a Dovo Astrale full size which is 1/2 hollow. And I like it, but the others I have are full hollow which I like better. Damn--now I have to get extra hollow which I haven't tried to see if that is even better than full hollow... 😵‍💫

Top Bottom