What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

Good morning, first time poster here. Following on from Hannah's Dad's last post, the following is taken from Jannick's website regarding the A1 synthetic knot.

The diameter of all A1 knots is 29mm. I decided to make it bigger than my usual 27mm, because otherwise it would have felt too small. The 29mm make it feel more like a 26mm badger knot. Having taken feedback of both the first customers and the wet shaving community into consideration, I decided to offer a fan in addition to the bulb shaped knot. I set the fan knot 2mm lower to make it feel nice and firm and not floppy.​

Specifications:
  • Diameter: 29mm
  • Loft bulb: 53mm
  • Loft fan: 51mm
I purchased the A1 with the Deep Sea colour scheme from Jannick, in his last drop prior to Christmas - so the identical brush that Hannah's Dad's has.

Attachments

• Wald A1.jpg
    Wald A1.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 40
At the risk of being an enabler, the 29mm knot acts more like a 26mm.
the following is taken from Jannick's website regarding the A1 synthetic knot.

The diameter of all A1 knots is 29mm. I decided to make it bigger than my usual 27mm, because otherwise it would have felt too small. The 29mm make it feel more like a 26mm badger knot. Having taken feedback of both the first customers and the wet shaving community into consideration, I decided to offer a fan in addition to the bulb shaped knot. I set the fan knot 2mm lower to make it feel nice and firm and not floppy.​

Thanks, I've seen that bit from his web site. I've never used a badger before though (I know, I'm weird), so his comparison doesn't mean much to me. I started with a 24mm PAA synth, and now mainly use a 24mm G5C with a 19mm STF for travel. Does every synth typically feel like a smaller badger? Or does a 29mm A1 also feel like other 26mm synthetics in size?

Thanks, I've seen that bit from his web site. I've never used a badger before though (I know, I'm weird), so his comparison doesn't mean much to me. I started with a 24mm PAA synth, and now mainly use a 24mm G5C with a 19mm STF for travel. Does every synth typically feel like a smaller badger? Or does a 29mm A1 also feel like other 26mm synthetics in size?
In my experience, yes, every synth feels like a smaller badger if they both have the same knot. Badgers bloom (i.e., absorb water into the hairs), whereas synths do not. If your only frame of reference is synths, then the 29mm knot will be too big for you based on your preferences.

In my experience, yes, every synth feels like a smaller badger if they both have the same knot. Badgers bloom (i.e., absorb water into the hairs), whereas synths do not. If your only frame of reference is synths, then the 29mm knot will be too big for you based on your preferences.
Thanks, @CJB3.

Size was probably the least of my 3 reasons I haven't bought one, the other 2 being the price and the fact that I do really like the G5C I already have. But the price is a big reason, so it'll still be awhile before I buy one, if ever.

Thank you @SgtCrppls for getting that last Wald A1! I kept seeing it available and had to hold my ground on not buying it. The A1 is a fantastic knot. In the future, I would not mind adding a second one with an OG bulb in probably the purple colorway. The handle on mine is top notch and I would put it as one of my best handles.

Top Bottom