What's new

46-47 Aristocrat, Smitten with it!

Used my copper Aristocrat this morning as I haven't used it in a while. What a great shave. Definitely need to use this razor more often. It hangs with my top performers for close, comfortable shaves. Hard to beat a classic.
Yup. While I haven't and won't try all the modern razors that most here are on about, a razor's shave speaks for itself. If one gets an easy BBS shave with a Tech, Super Speed, NEW, 195, Slim, etc. and it's repeatable every time, a modern razor can do no better. What I find in the modern razors I own is that they are beautifully made. Three of mine are 316 SS steel. Outstanding razors but the end result is simply no better than my vintage Gillettes.

Yup. While I haven't and won't try all the modern razors that most here are on about, a razor's shave speaks for itself. If one gets an easy BBS shave with a Tech, Super Speed, NEW, 195, Slim, etc. and it's repeatable every time, a modern razor can do no better. What I find in the modern razors I own is that they are beautifully made. Three of mine are 316 SS steel. Outstanding razors but the end result is simply no better than my vintage Gillettes.
I also think the vintage razors were "beautifully made." But then, beauty resides within the eye of the beholder.

I have two of them myself. One is in similar shape to yours & the others is a prime restoration candidate. This version of the Aristocrat is my favorite Gillette model all things considered. It's beautiful & a great all around performer.

They are beautiful razors but were made about as cheaply as possible (for the most part) compared to today's CNC'd SS, Ti, etc. razors.
Interesting. I've never heard of a vintage Aristocrat "breaking" or falling apart. I don't think they were cheaply made. They appear to be very robust and sturdy to me.

The Aristocrats look good and they shave well. They also came in a variety of aggressiveness over the years.

I don't know what more could be expected from Gillette's flagship razor back in the day. I have about 50 DE razors. The Gillette Aristocrats are my fav's.

Interesting. I've never heard of a vintage Aristocrat "breaking" or falling apart. I don't think they were cheaply made. They appear to be very robust and sturdy to me.

The Aristocrats look good and they shave well. They also came in a variety of aggressiveness over the years.

I don't know what more could be expected from Gillette's flagship razor back in the day. I have about 50 DE razors. The Gillette Aristocrats are my fav's.
I think you misunderstand what I mean when I say "cheaply" made. Most of these old Gillettes, so far as I know, were stamped brass heads and brass handles. They were plated rather cheaply as well. That doesn't mean they weren't good, great even, razors, or that they didn't last (my newest Gillette is a 1964 Super Speed and it works like new and is a solid 9/10 condition), it simply means they were made cheaply, unlike the modern CNC made stainless or Ti razors that are made in small quantities in small shops.

The '48-50 Aristocrat I have, other than some minor plating loss on the safety bars is in amazing condition for something at least 72 years old and works, I imagine, like new. I said nothing about Aristocrats "breaking or falling apart."

I think you misunderstand what I mean when I say "cheaply" made. Most of these old Gillettes, so far as I know, were stamped brass heads and brass handles. They were plated rather cheaply as well. That doesn't mean they weren't good, great even, razors, or that they didn't last (my newest Gillette is a 1964 Super Speed and it works like new and is a solid 9/10 condition), it simply means they were made cheaply, unlike the modern CNC made stainless or Ti razors that are made in small quantities in small shops.

The '48-50 Aristocrat I have, other than some minor plating loss on the safety bars is in amazing condition for something at least 72 years old and works, I imagine, like new. I said nothing about Aristocrats "breaking or falling apart."
I guess I don't care if something is "cheaply made," IF the result is high quality and good performance.

As to the Aristocrats I have several. I have a 1936 which is a bit harsh on my thin-skinned face, but it's a good shaver if I use care and don't rush. I enjoy it and value it in part because it's my birth year. It will bite me if I'm not careful.

I have a 1946-1947, which is my all-around fav. Perfection personified!

And I have a 1948-50, beautifully re-plated in rhodium. It's a tad mild for the old tough whiskers on my 86-year-old face. Problem solved: I do a four-pass shave. That's not as time consuming as it may seem, as the last pass is fast, less than 2 minutes N-S.

Something for everyone!

You are correct in that the Aristocrats are that they are great shavers! I have a ‘45-‘46 and a ‘37 that I love, as they consistently give me easy, comfortable DFS shaves and if I chase it, a BBS shave is not hard! @gdawg55, who plated your razor if you don’t mind. I do love copper!!!

Tom

You are correct in that the Aristocrats are that they are great shavers! I have a ‘45-‘46 and a ‘37 that I love, as they consistently give me easy, comfortable DFS shaves and if I chase it, a BBS shave is not hard! @gdawg55, who plated your razor if you don’t mind. I do love copper!!!

Tom
Back Roads Gold did the copper plating. Purchased the razor from Above the Tie and that's who they use. It looked really great when I first got it. Now it's darkened and starting to patina some. Trying to decide if I should keep it shiny and new looking or let it patina. Decisions, decisions. My lazy side may just let it do its thing.

I just bought one off of “the bay”. It should be here next week. I’ve been wanting to add one to my collection for some time, although I haven’t been watching out for one very closely. I made what I thought was a pretty low offer and it was accepted. I’m looking forward to giving it a try. It may be the last vintage razor that I buy.

I just bought one off of “the bay”. It should be here next week. I’ve been wanting to add one to my collection for some time, although I haven’t been watching out for one very closely. I made what I thought was a pretty low offer and it was accepted. I’m looking forward to giving it a try. It may be the last vintage razor that I buy.
Good for you. You should be very happy with it! There has been several decent ones roll across "the bay" this past week. I now have two Aristocrats both 46-47 models, one a well worn finish and one with very good plating. Funny the well worn one seems to shave better than the pretty one.
I have three razors I'd like to have replated, one being the worn Aristocrat, a ranger tech and a super speed. If I can get that done then no more razor collecting for a while.
All I use is vintage razors and brushes.

I have 3 modern razors, but I pretty much only use my vintage ones. The 46/47 Aristocrat may be my last vintage because the only other ones that I want at this point go for more than I’m willing to pay. I had Chris at BRG replate my Fatboy and ’36 Aristocrat earlier this year. They turned out fantastic. I wouldn’t mind getting my New LC replated and maybe this new Aristocrat depending how I like it and what shape it’s in.

Here it is after a little soaking and polishing. Maybe I’ll save it for my first shave of the new year.

Attachments

• 1974C483-4094-44FB-B56F-9C8A4A40C25A.jpeg
    1974C483-4094-44FB-B56F-9C8A4A40C25A.jpeg
    925.2 KB · Views: 12
It was advertised as a ‘46-‘47 and the pictures weren’t very good. It does have the un-notched center bar. Maybe an early ’48?

I guess I don't care if something is "cheaply made," IF the result is high quality and good performance.

As to the Aristocrats I have several. I have a 1936 which is a bit harsh on my thin-skinned face, but it's a good shaver if I use care and don't rush. I enjoy it and value it in part because it's my birth year. It will bite me if I'm not careful.

I have a 1946-1947, which is my all-around fav. Perfection personified!

And I have a 1948-50, beautifully re-plated in rhodium. It's a tad mild for the old tough whiskers on my 86-year-old face. Problem solved: I do a four-pass shave. That's not as time consuming as it may seem, as the last pass is fast, less than 2 minutes N-S.

Something for everyone!
I've never heard of these razors being "cheaply made" either. I enjoy my rhodium plated 47 a lot, it seems to have a very similar head to my 46 Ranger Tech, which is not "cheaply made" either. These razors could last up to 200 years or more if taken care of. At least that's my impression.

Top Bottom