What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still out

Fatip Open Comb Slant
Astra SS (7)
Shavemac Silvertip Bulb 22mm
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razorock American Barber

IMG-4935_DSC_4935 (3).JPG

The 30th Day of GRUME
DecemBOAR Eve

PXL_20221229_175657255.jpg

King C Gillette
Astra Platinum (7)
Semogue cherry SOC
DR Harris Lavender

Hey Guys
Three passes today. On the 2nd pass I switched to an aluminum shorter handle and like the lighter weight. The 3rd pass was touch ups and ended with a DFS. IMHO, the shorter and lighter weight handle makes it easier to do a "no pressure" shave.

I gotta be honest, I was tempted to buy a brush today- an Omega Roma Colosseo (31mm knot)...but I didn't. My desire to practice restraint is more important than the brush. Besides, in GRUYERE next year, I have a brush exception :biggrin1:. Also, I would be willing to trade with someone that has this brush.

The SOC brush is graduating Boot Camp! Tomorrow, I'm going to post pics and a personal preference of the boar brushes used this month... and a special note about being in DecemBOAR. Then it is on to Synthetic Sundays, GRUME and GRUYERE to start the new year.

After two years, the lavender soap immediately filled the room with it's calming scent.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

I'm out...

I've decided to stock up on my favourite Stirling aftershave in time before the 2023 GRUYERE starts off. I'm down on my final bottle of this particular AS and the scent has already been discontinued.
I'm out. Purchased aftershave for 2023 shave sabbatical, as well as a synthetic Stirling brush.
My apologies. I have meant to post the "December Restock Exception" rule and neglected to do so because I've been so stinkin' busy.
  • A restock period of the final week of December (12/25 - 12/31) is available for people who are:
    1. A current participant in December GRUME; and
    2. Not in the current year's Restraint; and
    3. A new participant in next year's Restraint
  • For members who are continuing their Restraint participation, rolling from one year to the next year while participating in January GRUME, the Restraint restocking period of the first two weeks of January (1/1 - 1/14) supersedes the January GRUME so that participants are not stuck in a Catch-22 situation
With this in mind, you're still good, yes?

Also...
@La Malice
@tjsgarden
@ewk
@Chef455
@sandorfi

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
All good here. Fell out of December's G.R.U.M.E. to make a couple purchases prior to the yearly sabbatical. Everything is paid for, bur not yet delivered. All stocked up otherwise. Exception for Lucky Tiger Facial Tonic for the G.R.U.Y.E.R.E. remains in place. I'd rather shave with glass than go without. I am not a prisoner, I am a free man.

My apologies. I have meant to post the "December Restock Exception" rule and neglected to do so because I've been so stinkin' busy.
  • A restock period of the final week of December (12/25 - 12/31) is available for people who are:
  • For members who are continuing their Restraint participation, rolling from one year to the next year while participating in January GRUME, the Restraint restocking period of the first two weeks of January (1/1 - 1/14) supersedes the January GRUME so that participants are not stuck in a Catch-22 situation

Also...
@La Malice
@tjsgarden
@ewk
@Chef455
@sandorfi
I am good, I was not in the December GRUME in order to get ready for the GRYERE, and it was more of a treewhaling experience than a simple restock so I would have been out.

just in case @Chef455 though I was picking on him in the January thread

I might need a bit of therapy too , I hear there is 12 month in a year ... if only it was a leap year ! But don't you all worry there is one more day and a full night in 2022 plenty of time to do some damaged.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I am good, I was not in the December GRUME in order to get ready for the GRYERE, and it was more of a treewhaling experience than a simple restock so I would have been out.

just in case @Chef455 though I was picking on him in the January thread

I might need a bit of therapy too , I hear there is 12 month in a year ... if only it was a leap year ! But don't you all worry there is one more day and a full night in 2022 plenty of time to do some damaged.
Rawr? Picked on? I've felt nothing of the sort. Perhaps I missed it. All good anyway.

Day 30, 96.8% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, KCG #7
Enhancement: 0.1mm shim
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

The shim is back in play. Had a good autopilot shave with minimal tidy-up.

I'm out!

I've placed the orders for gifts and a few items for myself as well.

I read the restocking window for GRUME but the items which were ordered for me are not for restocking, so I'll be seeing you in January GRUME and GRUYERE 2023.

I'll share the spoils when I get the deliveries.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your family.

Also...
@La Malice
@tjsgarden
@ewk
@Chef455
@sandorfi
Thanks for bringing the rules back to mind. I'd call myself "out" , though.
The AS I got might be still in line with the restock idea, but the boar brush I ordered isn't. 😇

Date
365 days of shaving368/365
(100%)
GRUME December28/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slant (SW-NE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Swedish SwingPersonna Red (5)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
MWF
Face lathered
Cold splash
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+/BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

First use of the Swing I acquired yesterday. Quite a blade gap, but hardly any blade feel. Very comfortable and nimble razor. I gave it a bit of extra buffing and polishing yesterday and now it really shines. Excellent combination with this Personna blade on its 5th run.

Also first try if Mitchell’s Wool Fat. That was actually an underwhelming experience at first. I read about lathering challenges and I initially had one too, but that was resolved quickly. Other than that it appeared to perform like any other soap. I was expecting more with all the rave I read in other threads. However, post shave was a really different experience from other soaps. Super slick skin without hardly any need to use aftershave or balm. None of my other soaps have that effect on my skin. And what’s even more bizarre: I am definitely not at BBS levels, but the soap makes my skin feel that way?! So looking forward to tomorrow to see how she behaves with other brushes.

A great shave to end the year. A year is daily shaves, failed GRUMEs, new friendships, experiencing the joys of receiving and giving PIFs, too many razors - but who’s counting, and a wonderfully unfolding new hobby. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. I wish you all a prosperous and healthy 2023 with stellar shaves!

Top Bottom