What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

lasta

Blade Biter
Exactly! Part of growing up I guess, but not always easy nor comfortable. I have blocked it from memory, but my parents sometimes remind me that he is more similar to me than I ordinarily acknowledge.
Yeah, looking back now, not much of high school mattered. But the old man has your back even if you intend to commit a crime!

Anyways, happy birthday Guido06!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Happy birthday to your son, Guido..... 16... wow... our sons are in their early 40s now. We had a good time with them during their teen years. We are fortunate..... we enjoyed all the phases our sons went through from infants to young adults and beyond.

Date
365 days of shaving359/355
(100%)
GRUME December22/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41 with Blue Lasta handle
Timeless Ti95SCB
Bolzano (7)
Eddison (15)
Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS & Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
R41: 8/10 (Smooth)
Ti95 SCB: 10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

The showdown III. Today I did the right side of my face with the R41 and the left side with the Ti95 SCB. I switched the blades to see if that made a difference, which it did. I noticed two things: a fresher blade made the Timeless even more effective than it already was and the Bolzano blade matches really well with the Timeless - I even think this blade now has some mileage left. It was smooth and comfortable with no hint of irritation whatsoever. Meanwhile the R41 provided the right support to the Eddison blade, yet is felt a bit more harsh compared to the Bolzano. And the combination was slightly less effective in the first pass. Both razors delivered on the first pass with already hints of DFS or BBS levels.

Stubble was more than usual and felt like two days rather than the one day it actually was. This is evidence that the Gillette Wilkinson is a very mild blade compared to my beard growth.

Second pass I switched razors and again the Timeless took the lead with the R41 following in its slip stream. The third pass was a double home run and overall BBS was had with DFS+ here and there.

Using the Plissoft 400 was a joy today. Super rich and thick lather in abundant amounts. Soft yet with backbone. I love it!

So an excellent shave with two razors that are within inches from each other in terms of results. Overall I am giving it to the Timeless as I feel that she shaves with more comfort. The R41 has more blade feel and at times feels more tuggy under the nose for example or on the chin. I have the feeling the Timeless lets me get anyway with more. But if you want results and titanium is out of reach, this simple Zamak head is a pure winner. I can definitely see a stainless version appearing in the future.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date
365 days of shaving359/355
(100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41 with Blue Lasta handle
Timeless Ti95SCB
Bolzano (7)
Eddison (15)
Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
R41: 8/10 (Smooth)
Ti95 SCB: 10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

The showdown III. Today I did the right side of my face with the R41 and the left side with the Ti95 SCB. I switched the blades to see if that made a difference, which it did. I noticed two things: a fresher blade made the Timeless even more effective than it already was and the Bolzano blade matches really well with the Timeless - I even think this blade now has some mileage left. It was smooth and comfortable with no hint of irritation whatsoever. Meanwhile the R41 provided the right support to the Eddison blade, yet is felt a bit more harsh compared to the Bolzano. And the combination was slightly less effective in the first pass. Both razors delivered on the first pass with already hints of DFS or BBS levels.

Stubble was more than usual and felt like two days rather than the one day it actually was. This is evidence that the Gillette Wilkinson is a very mild blade compared to my beard growth.

Second pass I switched razors and again the Timeless took the lead with the R41 following in its slip stream. The third pass was a double home run and overall BBS was had with DFS+ here and there.

Using the Plissoft 400 was a joy today. Super rich and thick lather in abundant amounts. Soft yet with backbone. I love it!

So an excellent shave with two razors that are within inches from each other in terms of results. Overall I am giving it to the Timeless as I feel that she shaves with more comfort. The R41 has more blade feel and at times feels more tuggy under the nose for example or on the chin. I have the feeling the Timeless lets me get anyway with more. But if you want results and titanium is out of reach, this simple Zamak head is a pure winner. I can definitely see a stainless version appearing in the future.

Enjoy your shave today!
Well journaled as a fine CPA would do!👍😊💈

Date
365 days of shaving360/356
(100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special Edition OC
Timeless Ti95SCB
KCG (2)
Bolzano (8)
Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)9/10 (one weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fatip Friday, but I just wanted to use my Timeless as well! Both razors did a fantastic job. Fatip on the left and Timeless on the right.

First pass very effective with only more stubble feel just below the jaw line. I think with some lifting the skin I could be more effective in that area, but usually forget to do it.

Second pass was DFS in most areas and the third pass ATG (all with the Timeless) was the money shot to BBS. One very small weeper in the moustache area which was my signal to retire this Bolzano as I have never had a weeper from my Timeless - or at least not that I can remember.

Compared to the R41 both the Fatip and the Timeless were smoother and more comfortable. Less tuggy, at least in this shave.

The Omega Roma is a splendid brush, really glad I picked this up even though it put me out of GRUME last month. Soft and yet firm it really enables me to work up a lather and complete the lather using face lathering.

All in all a great shave and a great starter of the day.

I'm guessing 2 razors/shave is your way of getting around razor rotation anxiety?
:blush: Or at least it helps! And I am doing Shave Yahtzee by @ralph029 in January to let the dice decide the shave.

But yes, I have come to a point that all my razors give me consistently good shaves - occasional weepers here and there, but all are great shavers. And I could be totally fine with using just one and pass on the others. That’s where RRA comes in indeed. Because as much as I could use only one my current collection has all razors with unique features and therefore fun to have and use. And a reason why I think I cannot get another razor!

Doubling up is a way of using the top tier razor together with all the others :biggrin1::001_wub:.

Do you have RRA?

Date
365 days of shaving361/357
(100%)
GRUME December23/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomGillette Platinum (5)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Floyd the Genuine (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (multiple weepers on the neck)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)
7.5/10 (Smooth bordering to harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fine shave using a razor that occupies the back bench somewhat. I am joining January Shave Yahtzee to use razors and blades I haven’t used that frequently.

The Gillette Platinum is obviously a great blade, but it works less for me. 4-5 shaves is about what I can get out of them and none of them are buttery smooth shaving. Following the mishaps on my neck as a result of the blade, I retired this one.

The end result was a good start of the weekend. Tonight is Christmas Eve and spend with those I would give my life for. I definitely need to spend more time with them.

Enjoy your shave and your Christmas weekend!

Merry Christmas Guido!!

nick offerman drinking GIF

Date
365 days of shaving362/358
(100%)
GRUME December24/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95SCBEddison (16)Simpson T3 <NEW!!>
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9.5/10 (super tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9.5/10 (Marble)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Excellent start of Christmas Day! WOW! I wanted a carefree shave so bright or the razor that gives me the most comfortable and effective shave. And boy did it deliver! My cheeks and chin are marble with that glass feeling. I have some stray cats in the jaw line and this is where I believe the blade had lost too much of its performance. It has been retired with 16 amazing shaves in the books!

We unpacked our presents on Christmas Eve and I unpacked my T3 which I had to use straightaway obviously. What a magnificent brush! Face lathering was never this easy! I do need to expand the stand a bit, because the handle is bulkier than I imagined. It is also wider than my Omega Roma. Very glad this one has been added to the collection!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas!! And enjoy your shave today!

Last edited:
Almost forgot - I made a promise to let you know how the brush was @timetofly. The T3 is a magnificent brush! Face lathering was never this easy! I do need to expand the stand a bit, because the handle is bulkier than I imagined. It is also wider than my Omega Roma. Very glad this one has been added to the collection!

Guido

Almost forgot - I made a promise to let you know how the brush was @timetofly. The T3 is a magnificent brush! Face lathering was never this easy! I do need to expand the stand a bit, because the handle is bulkier than I imagined. It is also wider than my Omega Roma. Very glad this one has been added to the collection!

Guido
Guido. Your memory is flawless! I actually forgot. So glad that the brush met and/or exceeded your expectations.
Happy shaves, my friend!

Date
365 days of shaving363/359
(100%)
GRUME December25/30 (97%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41Timor (1)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (nick on the jaw line)
EffectivenessComfort
6/10 (DFS-)
6/10 (Tuggy)

Notes to today’s shave:

Medium shave or perhaps mediocre shave is a better term. This blade and I are no match - at least not in the first run anyway. Rich and tuggy from the first stroke so I did light WXTG and very shallow / light touch ATG (and not in all areas).

Sufficient for today and sub par compared to other days. That’s what’s great about this Discovery Challenge: find out about blades and find out your own version of YMMV.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date

Passes2-3
WTG
N-S

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Slim AdjustableDorco Titan (1)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
De Vergulde Hand Eucalyptus Bowl latheredCold splash
TGS Witch Hazel & Cucumber (Splash)
TGS Chronos (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
~20 minutes10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
10/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

The Big Boys Shave was performed today! In true teenager style he dos it while I was out, but Guido06 decided to do his first ever DE shave today. He did call me to ask for a suitable blade (I advice the Dorco ST300HQ, but he mistook my ‘with the blue wrapper’ for the Titan - but that’s an excellent choice as well) and a small hint on how to get a lather going (DVH is a hard soap). So I helped him out and also advised to go only WTG to get his skin accustomed and his skill up.

He went for setting one on the Slim and did not incur any weepers or nicks at all! The old man had said no pressure and he listened! What about that!

He is a man of few words in these events so when asked he simply said it was smooth and the result was smooth too. He doesn’t rate his shaves, but this one is in the high end judging by the results. So a great start! Would have loved to be there in person, but I cannot mess with free will.

He did thoroughly enjoy it and wants to thank @mgweatherly for this opportunity. He is definitely on his way. The razor has a stand on his shelf and is proudly on display.

And from the old man as well - thanks for playing your part in this experience Mitch. I and he will remember this for a lifetime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom