What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum - bad batch?!?

Meh...I've gone through over 200 BIC CP blades and not one single dud.
They were from different batches.

BIC are extremely razor sensitive.
They work extremely well in my blackbird and progress.

In many other razors, they feel like broken glass! The same blade switched to a more suitable razor and it becomes buttery smooth!

Meh...I've gone through over 200 BIC CP blades and not one single dud.
They were from different batches.

BIC are extremely razor sensitive.
They work extremely well in my blackbird and progress.

In many other razors, they feel like broken glass! The same blade switched to a more suitable razor and it becomes buttery smooth!
Agree. Buttery smooth in the progress. Also Gillette tech, EJ89, fatip gentile.

Not so great in the Game changer and R41. Scratchy and rough. These are great with Gillette Platinum.

Still testing with Gillettes TTOs.

Agree. Buttery smooth in the progress. Also Gillette tech, EJ89, fatip gentile.

Not so great in the Game changer and R41. Scratchy and rough. These are great with Gillette Platinum.

Still testing with Gillettes TTOs.

I also liked the BIC in the fatip razors, except the SLOC, in which the blade felt rough.

They are also excellent in the Muhle rocca, Rockwell 6S, YPM 921-M. But not so much in the H, where they again felt rough.

From my experience, BIC is the sharpest blade on the market, after feather.
I don't like feather due to the harshness on my skin and lack of longevity (feather=2 shaves, BIC=5 shaves!).

I just tried BIC CP for my first time - using a Merkur 37c Slant. It did not go well - a couple of nicks and irritation. I'm just happy I only bought a sample pack 😜. I currently alternate between Feather and Dorco ST300 in the Merkur. I get two shaves in the Feather and three with Dorco (coarse beard and sensitive skin).

I just tried BIC CP for my first time - using a Merkur 37c Slant. It did not go well - a couple of nicks and irritation. I'm just happy I only bought a sample pack 😜. I currently alternate between Feather and Dorco ST300 in the Merkur. I get two shaves in the Feather and three with Dorco (coarse beard and sensitive skin).
I found bics a little harsh in a slant. Try it in a milder razor, you might be surprised.

I just finished 3 shaves with it, a 4th was probably in it, but I am not pushing it. Once it "broke in" during the first use, it was really smooth. This blade is really polarizing.

I got a couple of new tucks of BIC chrome platinum from a different vendor and these BICs look good under the microscope. I loaded one in a DE89 (starting out with a mild razor just to be careful) and it gave me a very smooth and close shave this morning. These blades are very sharp and sliced right thru my whiskers with ease!

Some BIC batches have indeed QC issues at least in the past. I can't speak for the current production blades, but they might also have some issues here and there. BIC CP are my second favorite blade and the only issue I have with them is that they are a bit picky when it comes to razors, but they do work in most of my razors, so it's not that big of a deal.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I just received fifty Bic Chrome Platinum blades. Going to make some of these work somehow, someway. Will report how I make out. Hoping for the good results that most folks on B&B with these blades.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
BIC blades are hit or miss
When thy are good they are realy good, when they are bad, they are realy bad
There us plenty of good other blades oth there that are consistent... IMO BiC are not worth it

That's been my experience...haven't had a good shave with one yet and I've tried three times with three different blades. Have had to pull the blade out every time to finish the shave.

I thought I'd post a quick update. I had a fair bit of difficult reaching BIC product support since they don't officially sell these blades in the US. I eventually reached someone in the UK but they seemed to think I had an injury and was seeking compensation. After a few messages back and forth I finally got them to understand I am not injured or seeking compensation and that my intent is to help them catch and solve a problem (if there is one). So they are going to have their US office contact me with a shipping label and then they will get the blades to their lab in France to be analyzed. I hope they will tell me what they find --- but they seemed so touchy about liability and injury (I'm from California after all - no surprise they would think that) I'm afraid these blades will vanish along with the crate at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie and I'll never hear anything.

In the meantime, let me share this picture with you. I opened one more fresh blade from the original suspect batch and under the microscope I found this. It is not a hair or lint etc. It is metal and you cannot blow it off with a puff of air. After I took the picture I tried to drag this off with a soft brush and it is definitely metal (it bends around) but is attached and can't be simply brushed off (though dragging thru a cork would likely rip it off).

1673479628185.png

I thought I'd post a quick update. I had a fair bit of difficult reaching BIC product support since they don't officially sell these blades in the US. I eventually reached someone in the UK but they seemed to think I had an injury and was seeking compensation. After a few messages back and forth I finally got them to understand I am not injured or seeking compensation and that my intent is to help them catch and solve a problem (if there is one). So they are going to have their US office contact me with a shipping label and then they will get the blades to their lab in France to be analyzed. I hope they will tell me what they find --- but they seemed so touchy about liability and injury (I'm from California after all - no surprise they would think that) I'm afraid these blades will vanish along with the crate at the end of the first Indiana Jones movie and I'll never hear anything.

In the meantime, let me share this picture with you. I opened one more fresh blade from the original suspect batch and under the microscope I found this. It is not a hair or lint etc. It is metal and you cannot blow it off with a puff of air. After I took the picture I tried to drag this off with a soft brush and it is definitely metal (it bends around) but is attached and can't be simply brushed off (though dragging thru a cork would likely rip it off).
keep us posted ;)

is it visible to the naked eye? have you tried to cork it?

keep us posted ;)

is it visible to the naked eye? have you tried to cork it?
Not visible to my naked eye - but my eyes are nearly 70 years old so I can barely recognize my own face in the mirror when I'm shaving. :letterk1:

I didn't bother corking this blade - there is no way I want to shave with it. I have corked some of these blades from the same batch a couple of weeks ago and you can feel (and hear) the blade catching as you drag it thru the cork. They look much better after corking but still these really must be a defective lot and can't be the same BIC blades that get all the great reviews.

Blades normally get inspected at the factory. It's hard to believe something like that would get through. Could they be fakes?

FWIW, my experience with BIC Chrome Platinum has been very positive. However, I have only bought them from vendors I know and trust.

Blades normally get inspected at the factory. It's hard to believe something like that would get through. Could they be fakes?

FWIW, my experience with BIC Chrome Platinum has been very positive. However, I have only bought them from vendors I know and trust.
That is the reason I spent as much time as I did contacting BIC so they can examine and determine what they are. I read somewhere that employees might smuggle out a batch that failed inspection and sell on their own - that seems more likely than fake. Doesn't seem like enough profit margin to bother faking.

Top Bottom