What's new

Back In The News, a Sig P320

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
This is a FWIW - i.e., draw your own conclusions (pun intended) … that said, I enjoy my (357 Sig) 320, but only as a range toy:

Yeah this guy is burning up on the Sig forum I'm on.

they are talking about a broken spring but I don't buy it for a moment. the dude says he holstered the weapon, raised his hand and discharged. Springs don't break unless they are flexing. if it had flexed during the holster, it would have gone off with his hand on the weapon.

He's a youtuber who films EVERYTHING but no video of the discharge? Nope I call BS. he had his finger on the trigger when he holstered. until I see video of one of these things discharging on their own, it's operator error.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yeah this guy is burning up on the Sig forum I'm on.

they are talking about a broken spring but I don't buy it for a moment. the dude says he holstered the weapon, raised his hand and discharged. Springs don't break unless they are flexing. if it had flexed during the holster, it would have gone off with his hand on the weapon.

He's a youtuber who films EVERYTHING but no video of the discharge? Nope I call BS. he had his finger on the trigger when he holstered. until I see video of one of these things discharging on their own, it's operator error.

I'm with you on this. Earlier models of the P320 were discharging when being dropped from hip height, but it was when the pistol had to exactly hit the ground on the very backside portion of the pistol, in order to get it to misfire. Sig issued a recall and took care of those who sent their pistols back in and assembly line production was fixed. That was years ago.

So this dude either,

1. got an older model that wasn't fixed during the recall, and/or

2. dropped it exactly on the back of the slide, and/or

3. Is BS'ing.

It's been years since the recall, surely we would have heard more then just his?

OkieStubble

Springs don't break unless they are flexing.

Not only is this true, but flexing return springs break? This means, after flexing and then breaking, the firing pin then will not reset? How does one go off, if the pin doesn't reset in order to fire again?

I'm surprised Sig told him the spring was defective? Because if it was, wouldn't Sig ask him how it was able to go off with a spring that broke while flexing? Yeah, I'm confused.

People are imperfect. Accidents happen because we are imperfect, inattentive, or careless. Blame the firearm because he can't own up to, or didn't realize, the trigger was engaging.

WOW YIKES lucky dude
dont know the dude as I only watch a few folks

but the between the holster and hands up IMHO this is some kinda AD from the holstering of the gun
your mind was in the next step hands up your body was actually in the holstering !

I am also on the not buying the it just went off scenario

as I know and sure others to ! the mind vs body vs actual life timing thing happens in situations like that in a dif way than you remember them as you were going to go hands up as it happened

the thing is, this guy's reputation is being a gun "expert". I'm not saying I'm and expert, but I've handled weapons since I was in the Navy, and owned and maintained my open since I was 21. I'd consider myself KNOWLEDGEABLE.
one day I was disassembling and cleaning and i picked up the 938. I could has sworn on a stack of bibles that I had cleared it. pulled the trugger put a groove in the table and a slug in the bathroom wall. but at least I'm mane enough and honest enough that I was negligent. this guy will never admit it.

Oh, and @OkieStubble the other possibility.. this fool monkeyed around with the FCU and it bit him

OkieStubble

the thing is, this guy's reputation is being a gun "expert". I'm not saying I'm and expert, but I've handled weapons since I was in the Navy, and owned and maintained my open since I was 21. I'd consider myself KNOWLEDGEABLE.
one day I was disassembling and cleaning and i picked up the 938. I could has sworn on a stack of bibles that I had cleared it. pulled the trugger put a groove in the table and a slug in the bathroom wall. but at least I'm mane enough and honest enough that I was negligent. this guy will never admit it.

Oh, and @OkieStubble the other possibility.. this fool monkeyed around with the FCU and it bit him

Excellent observation. I didn’t even think, he might have fiddled around with it.

Does he have “expert gunsmith” written in his title anywhere? ;)

Only thing more dangerous then a defective gun, is an “expert” with a perfectly working gun. :)

Sadly we live in a world of attention seeking individuals that get paid on clicks. Not Saying it’s true or not, but it is interesting that it’s not on camera. Also don’t buy the broken spring theory

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
In his opening statement, he almost sounds like a child attempting to divert blame. "My Sig P320 actually did TRY to shoot me..." Your gun is an inanimate object, Buddy. It didn't try to do anything.

Excellent observation. I didn’t even think, he might have fiddled around with it.

Does he have “expert gunsmith” written in his title anywhere? ;)

Only thing more dangerous then a defective gun, is an “expert” with a perfectly working gun. :)
I didn't watch doofie's video, as my rather virulent dislike of most people is not improved by such input, but...

I can't remember if the Sig OEM flat trigger has adjustments, but all of the aftermarkets do. "Some people," like to adjust the take-up to "0", which is a really bad idea on a striker fired pistol, even going so far as to buy longer set screws at times.

OkieStubble

I didn't watch doofie's video, as my rather virulent dislike of most people is not improved by such input, but...

I can't remember if the Sig OEM flat trigger has adjustments, but all of the aftermarkets do. "Some people," like to adjust the take-up to "0", which is a really bad idea on a striker fired pistol, even going so far as to buy longer set screws at times.
Agreed. Many don’t like the inherent travel in a striker fired trigger, because they’re used to slow methodical target shooting for accuracy. But the speed of combat shooting requires slapping the trigger and good slapping requires a bit of travel.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Having watched a few Sig p320 FCU function YouTube vids it seems almost impossible for the gun to fire without a trigger pull. Even if all the springs broke at the same time the tension of the firing pin on the sear would keep it from firing.

shoelessjoe

Like a bad penny, that P320 just keeps coming back in the news 😆

Once all of the OTHER (Glock, S&W, HK, Steyr & Ruger, & Sig P365, to name just a few) striker-fired AD lawsuits have been settled… oh, wait 🤔🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Like a bad penny, that P320 just keeps coming back in the news 😆

Once all of the OTHER (Glock, S&W, HK, Steyr & Ruger, & Sig P365, to name just a few) striker-fired AD lawsuits have been settled… oh, wait 🤔🤷‍♂️

I definitely like to say; “ never say never.” But I take issue with several things in the article that makes me want to ask a few tough questions.

1. The trigger on the P320 is really short and smooth for a striker fired pistol. Night and day difference compared to the Glock. Are these 20 police officers “former Glock carriers?” And were surprised by that great trigger? After being used to Glocks?

2. I have issue with ‘highly trained police officers?’ Uh, huh…. :)

3. The one example the article uses, is from an actual LE pistol instructor. While that could be believable, it just so happens he was all alone? At his private range? With absolutely no witnesses? Mmmkay.

4. Is there not a single one of the plaintiffs, who had this recorded and documented at an official LE training event or other; where witnesses actually can verify the incidents?

5. The female ICE Agent had a discharge in the holster while at qualification.
Was it actually witnessed by others and documented? I wonder if there were any discharges while it’s in the holster, sitting in the patrol car while eating in the parking lot at Burger King?

Now that, would sound believable to me.

6. I saved the hardest question for last. How does a defective striker fired pistol, magically lift the internal safety of the falling block which has to be ‘lifted by pulling the trigger to the rear, in order for the striker to have free travel down the striker channel and make impact with the cartridges primer?

I’m definitely a pessimist, but again, “never say never?”

Last edited:

shoelessjoe

@OkieStubble
“Once all of the OTHER (Glock, S&W, HK, Steyr & Ruger, & Sig P365, to name just a few) striker-fired AD lawsuits have been settled… oh, wait…”

Yeppers, it’s just a P320 witchhunt 😆

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble
“Once all of the OTHER (Glock, S&W, HK, Steyr & Ruger, & Sig P365, to name just a few) striker-fired AD lawsuits have been settled… oh, wait…”

Yeppers, it’s just a P320 witchhunt 😆

I agree.

The lawsuit consists of 20 people. How many has Sig sold now? 20 out of? Pretty good percentage.

shoelessjoe

I agree.

The lawsuit consists of 20 people. How many has Sig sold now? 20 out of? Pretty good percentage.
Yes, 20 folks in this most recent lawsuit … and while one of the many earlier lawsuits has been dismissed, yet another one saw Sig having to fork over $10,000,000 in a settlement. Let’s see, how much does add up to per P320s sold?

My issue, and this is on me as I will not forget it, is that Exeter, or wherever they’re located this month, did not issue a mandatory recall, but rather, a voluntary recall.

Is it a stretch to say that there are what, 100 times the number of striker-fired Glocks, VP9s, VP40s, Styer S,M,Ls, Sig P365s, S&W M&Ps, Shields, Shield EZs, Walthers, Taurus, etc., etc…., in circulation, yet zero conspiracy theories, witch hunts or any number of major pending/actual lawsuits against the aforementioned??

FWIW:

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I’m definitely stumped. The internal safeguards on all striker fired pistols are of such a simple and basic ingenious design, I just can’t wrap my head around it and where or how that even a design flaw could by pass 3 separate internal safeguards?

Last edited:
Top Bottom