What's new

Boar Brush Pass Around! Want to try some boar brushes?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for your input, Jim. And thank you for being a resource to me & many others helping us get started appreciating the wonderful world of boar. I hope more gentlemen sign up for this pass around.

12-12-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.Zen.Eagle.Unbleached.640.JPG

You're welcome, David.

This unbleached is a new favorite.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: ewk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Chan Eil Whiskers, I didn't know there was a new unbleached available, thank you for sharing. I'll be getting an order placed to Yourshaving very soon.

One is the butterscotch. Another, its fraternal twin, is in blue.

Your Shaving messed up my order so I didn't get the blue handle I ordered, but they've fixed things so it's in transit.

I was extremely happy to find another Zenith unbleached or two. The butterscotch is an improvement I think over my other Zenith unbleached brushes (and I like them very much). Definitely a great handle, but I think maybe it's a somewhat better knot too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thursday Dec. 22 Update

I have been reading up on Zenith, especially at The Gentle Shave, the only US Zenith distributor I am aware of. My taste in boar brushes has been shaped by my experience with my tall, soft, almost floppy well-broken in Omega 49. The qualities I like best (tall soft flop) are the qualities the Gentle Shave seeks to minimize with shorter loft. I think I read somewhere that he even requests that the knots be set even deeper.

My first two uses were dedicated to the Zenith 80B XSE unbleached, as it is designed to go head to head with the Omega 49. I found the handle to be much more comfortable than the Omega handle, although not too different in size. The Zenith knot is much more dense than the Omega. I was also surprised to see that this Zenith handle is not resin but plastic, and the lowest priced brush.
IMG_20221219_081519268.jpg
(I am so smitten with this brush, I have just ordered one in ivory before turning to this writeup. It has the tallest loft of any of the available Zenith brushes, and matches my preferences best).

I next used the Semogue SOC with cherry wood handle. I love the ergonomics of this handle, as well as the aesthetic of cherry wood. (I installed a 12 foot counter ledge in our kitchen with cherry wood). I have a mixed knot resin SOC, and it is my favorite handle for feel and comfort. I wanted to compare the boar-only Semogue knot to the mixed. It made a fine lather, but it did not last 3 passes. No complaints, though.
IMG_20221220_085447229.jpg

This morning I turned to the Zenith 506U XSE unbleached, olive wood handle. I did not even know olive wood was an option for brush handles. This handle is visually stunning, and I just had to have one. I also ordered a Zenith horsehair brush in this olive wood handle.
IMG_20221221_220604072.jpg
As for this morning's shave, the bristles seemed more stiff than the previous two brushes. Perhaps I did not soak long enough, but it affirmed my decision to purchase the taller loft brush.

Last edited:
Glad you're enjoying the brushes. I enjoy reading your thoughtful reviews. I am quite impressed with Zenith brushes, as well. The only company I've found that sells Zenith unbleached brushes is Your Shaving. I've been quite pleased ordering from them. The shipping isn't bad & delivery doesn't take long to get to Missouri from Europe.

It's fun comparing the different brushes to each other in successive shaves. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Enjoy your shaves!

Who else wants to sign up for the pass around?

Glad you're enjoying the brushes. I enjoy reading your thoughtful reviews. I am quite impressed with Zenith brushes, as well. The only company I've found that sells Zenith unbleached brushes is Your Shaving. I've been quite pleased ordering from them. The shipping isn't bad & delivery doesn't take long to get to Missouri from Europe.

It's fun comparing the different brushes to each other in successive shaves. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts. Enjoy your shaves!

Who else wants to sign up for the pass around?
I also ordered through Your Shave. They have very favorable pricing on European products like Proraso, La Toja, and Cella. Although I am well stocked on those and need no more soap, I could not resist adding a stick of De Vergulde Hand.

The Gentle Shave is still the only place I see the copper handles available. I am very much enjoying the beautiful Zenith copper handles I am seeing in the Decemboar thread.

Dec. 23 update. Semogue Torga C5
The bristles on this brush have been the softest yet and provided a very comfortable face feel. Unfortunately, it would not produce a proper lather. The Semogue SOC lathered up, but did not produce enough for three passes. The Torga generated plenty of protolather, but I could not get it to come together at all. Light, thin, bubbly, and I could see my rosy cheeks the whole time.

I know MWF can be temperamental, but I have had no problems with it during this passaround. I have been exclusively face-lathering for these shaves. Given enough time and effort I am confident the Torga would have built a proper lather if I had gone to the bowl.

IMG_20221223_084717676.jpg

December 24 Update -- Mondial Antica Barberia

Today I successfully employed the Mondial Antica Barberia. Based on the two unsuccessful lathering from the Semogues, I collected the protolather in a bowl in the event I would have to bowl lather. That precaution was not necessary. The MAB produced a nice lather on the face and dome. This brush was an excellent performer. However, it did shed about 5 hairs in the course of my two-pass head and face shave.

IMG_20221224_091528784.jpg

Dec. 25 update -- Omega Premium Jade

Today the Omega Jade produced the best lather of the bunch. Relatively light load and lather developed easily. A great abundance of lather remained in/on the brush at the end. Superior brush performance.

IMG_20221225_085425572.jpg

December 26 Update -- Zenith 505

Today I used the short and stubby Zenith 505 (28 mm knot, 51 mm loft). Handle feels wonderful. Lather built quickly. The smaller knot did not hold as much lather, but there was enough for the two passes needed for this morning's efficient shave. Very dense knot. Bristles were appropriately soaked and felt very comfortable with light/gentle splay. Despite my personal preference for a taller loft, this brush provided great performance.

IMG_20221226_085531272.jpg

December 28 Update -- Zenith 80N bleached, black handle

Today I turned to the bleached Zenith 80N. The 80N experience was very similar to the 80B XSE described on Dec. 22. The only difference being the bleached 80N bristles felt softer before and after soaking. Whether that is due to the bleaching or if it is more broken in than the XSE (which incidentally has a slightly wider 28 mm knot), I don't know. The end result was a very fine lathering experience.

In 2015 The Gentle Shave announced that the RazoRock Blondie Boar Bristle Shaving Brush was manufactured by Zenith. I would love to know if that is still the case as I purchased one on Monday. (Actually purchased 3, one for myself and one for each of my co-workers who have been introduced to the gentlemanly way of shaving).

IMG_20221228_090334945.jpg

December 29 Update

Yesterday I used the bleached Zenith 80N (black handle) and noted that the bristles felt softer. Look how the knot bloomed after drying overnight! It almost looks like a badger knot bloom. I included a few of the other Zenith brushes for comparison.
IMG_20221229_104713937.jpg

IMG_20221229_105007681.jpg

This morning I wanted to give the olive wood handle one more go. Bristles were well hydrated, but still stiff. About 8 swirls on the Martin de Candre generated enough lather for about 5 more passes than today's two required.
IMG_20221229_093618128.jpg

I will be cleaning and drying the brushes to pass on to the next lucky participant. I will post final thoughts when the package is ready to go.

Final Thoughts

It has been a tremendous privilege to experience this great variety of boar brushes. At the end of this experience, for sentimental as well as 2 years of well developed soft bristles, my preference is still my Omega Pro 49. Here are my rankings of the brushes in this pass around.

#1 Zenith 80N black handle bleached bristles
This brush is closest to my personal preference for a large soft boar knot. This one took the top spot due to bristle softness.

#2 Zenith 80B XSE unbleached
This is a very close second. I believe the unbleached bristles will develop and soften well in time. I purchased one for myself as the knot is slightly larger than the 80N.

#3 Omega premium jade
Softest bristles, best quality lather of all sampled brushes.

#4 Zenith 505
Short and stubby, as advertised. But this is a great, comfortable lathering brush. Personal preference for larger knot put this lower on the list, but performance was excellent

#5 Zenith 506U XSE olive wood handle
Stunningly beautiful olive wood handle; stiffer bristles. (I love the olive wood handle so much, I purchased one with horse hair bristles)

#6 Mondial Antica Barberia
This brush made a very nice lather, and the bristles were very comfortable. For performance and feel, this would have been a top performer, but the knot shed too many bristles.

#7 Semogue SOC cherry handle
I know that this brush has a devoted following. It has the best handle feel of any of the pass around brushes. It did not produce a very good lather. This is based on only one use, so no conclusions should be drawn. It is a very high quality brush.

#8 Semogue Torga C5
Also a quality brush. However, after one use it gave very poor lather performance for me.

This big beautiful box o' boar bristle brushes is now on its way to @CzechCzar . ENJOY!

Thanks again for this wonderful opportunity.

Final Thoughts

It has been a tremendous privilege to experience this great variety of boar brushes. At the end of this experience, for sentimental as well as 2 years of well developed soft bristles, my preference is still my Omega Pro 49. Here are my rankings of the brushes in this pass around.

#1 Zenith 80N black handle bleached bristles
This brush is closest to my personal preference for a large soft boar knot. This one took the top spot due to bristle softness.

#2 Zenith 80B XSE unbleached
This is a very close second. I believe the unbleached bristles will develop and soften well in time. I purchased one for myself as the knot is slightly larger than the 80N.

#3 Omega premium jade
Softest bristles, best quality lather of all sampled brushes.

#4 Zenith 505
Short and stubby, as advertised. But this is a great, comfortable lathering brush. Personal preference for larger knot put this lower on the list, but performance was excellent

#5 Zenith 506U XSE olive wood handle
Stunningly beautiful olive wood handle; stiffer bristles. (I love the olive wood handle so much, I purchased one with horse hair bristles)

#6 Mondial Antica Barberia
This brush made a very nice lather, and the bristles were very comfortable. For performance and feel, this would have been a top performer, but the knot shed too many bristles.

#7 Semogue SOC cherry handle
I know that this brush has a devoted following. It has the best handle feel of any of the pass around brushes. It did not produce a very good lather. This is based on only one use, so no conclusions should be drawn. It is a very high quality brush.

#8 Semogue Torga C5
Also a quality brush. However, after one use it gave very poor lather performance for me.

This big beautiful box o' boar bristle brushes is now on its way to @CzechCzar . ENJOY!

Thanks again for this wonderful opportunity.

Fantastic write up! Thanks for putting in the time to allow us to glean from your experience :)

@ewk, I've enjoyed reading your reviews, thank you!

Who else wants to try these brushes? Read the 1st post in this thread to learn how to get in on this pass around.

• Cheers
Top Bottom