What's new

My Shaving Brush Ranking

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was very surprised, Dan, that your Mozingo didn’t sell. Must be a soft market now—or people don’t realize how good they are yet.

You should have Rudy make a handle for a 24mm knot when he recovers.
I think it’s a tough time of year and we’re in a rough economy. Good suggestion, Trey.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have no idea about the hair Brett uses, Jim. It does have the best qualities of badger hair, IMO—or at least the qualities I prize most.

I agree that our tastes are similar. Varlets are excellent brushes, but Mozingos are just as good, IMO. I was crazy enough to buy two Varlets.

1671644759410.png

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’m with you on the ‘huge knot’ comment. I tried (unsuccessfully) to BST mine because it’s just too large for my tastes; but I’ll use it on occasion and suffer its size for its performance.

From looking at your posts on the BST I see you sold a 26 mm and withdrew from the BST a 24 mm.
(Both being Mozingo knots and handles I think.)

I think a 24mm knot in this batch of hair would be sublime.

I'm confused. I'd think you'd know this for sure.

I must be missing something, but I'm often missing something and/or confused.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Synthetic is the present and future of shaving brushes. Badger should be closed down for good.

I do not understand nor do I share your point of view. Not that it matters what either of us think in terms of the other's behavior, but "should" implies a moral imperative or something which I don't get at all. "Closed down" by whom?

(For the record I'm not entirely vegan but eat mostly a vegan diet.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hannah's Dad

From looking at your posts on the BST I see you sold a 26 mm and withdrew from the BST a 24 mm.
(Both being Mozingo knots and handles I think.)

I'm confused. I'd think you'd know this for sure.

I must be missing something, but I'm often missing something and/or confused.

Happy shaves,

Jim
1671646746724.gif

I sold the 24mm to Doug (OP) (ZT3); the 26mm ZT3 went to another fine member.

My recent BST for this 28mm was in the Contributors BST (which is why you missed it).

I may try and sell this one again on the regular BST; but likely after the holidays or when buying patterns resume.

Hannah's Dad

Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Dan @Hannah's Dad.

You don't like what about the Mozingo's?

(Yes, I know how how are with brushes. Try 'em and sell 'em.)

Happy shaves,

Jim
The 28mm knot is just too big for my face, Jim. As an exclusive face latherer, I prefer a smaller area of coverage so I can work the knot to create an optimal lather. The ZT3 knots were HUGE. This ZT4 is just outside my sweet spot.

I do have some remorse for selling my first 24mm ZT3. I am guilty of knee-jerk selling my gear at times (ok, all the time). Guess that’s just part of the enjoyment for me. I like sharing these goodies at fair prices.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The 28mm knot is just too big for my face, Jim. As an exclusive face latherer, I prefer a smaller area of coverage so I can work the knot to create an optimal lather. The ZT3 knots were HUGE. This ZT4 is just outside my sweet spot.

I do have some remorse for selling my first 24mm ZT3. I am guilty of knee-jerk selling my gear at times (ok, all the time). Guess that’s just part of the enjoyment for me. I like sharing these goodies at fair prices.

I'm sorry I missed out on your 24 mm Mozingo.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Mozingos. My 28 mm Mozingo is huge even my my standards and I like huge knots.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The knots are about 0.5-1.5 mm larger when set than their nominal value. For the 24 mm knot, the hole is drilled to 1" (25.4 mm). The larger ones accordingly...the 26 mm drilled to 1 1/16" and the 28 mm to 1 1/8"

I have a bunch of great badger and boar brushes. I have a hard time ranking them definitively. Depending on the day, I may like one of them more than the others or vice-versa.
My favorite badgers:
Stirling 26mm Finest black handle.
GFT version of Chubby 3 Super
Uomo 28 mm Ultra High Density knot in blue handle.
Paladin Winston XL 30mm.
Varlet Beehive.
Simpsons Chubby 1 Super butterscotch.

I have boar brushes that I like just as much:
Zenith Pro
Omega 10083
Omega 10098
Semogue 1305

On any given day, I could say that one of the above is my favorite. I have been very lucky to find these.

I knew you would regret selling your ZT3 24mm, I think the ZT3 & ZT4 in 24mm is the best knot out there, that I have tried. I agree with Trey that the ZT4, especially in the 24mm, is so close to the Varlet for a lot less money, but I am still glad I have a Varlet coming in February.

Curious about those that own the ZT3 and ZT4 how do you like the ZT4 comparing it to the ZT3? I have owned 3 ZT3s and recently sold one of them. I currently have a 28mm ZT3 (It's huge, closer to a 30mm) and a 26mm DFS ZT3 (seems closer to a 28mm), and enjoy them both. Really have been wanting a ZT4.

I have a few 26mm handles I could send to Mozingo for a knotting service. I don't mind bigger knots and seem to like anything from 24mm up to 30mm. I face and head shave every day so bigger is ok in my book.

I personally think the ZT4 is a nicer knot than the ZT3, the 24mm ZT4 I think is the perfect size knot.

The 26mm is great I am sure, but the 24mm is perfect. I have a 28mm & a 24mm ZT4, and I prefer the 24mm, but do not dislike the 28mm.

If you like a 26 & 28mm ZT3’s you will love the ZT4.

Doug

Top Bottom