What's new

Favourite Christmas foods

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Scotcharoos.

I have been serving the family my homemade Jambalaya for the past 7 years and it is a permanent staple now, if I mention trying something new the rumors of mutiny start immediately. My one x-mas request is Knorr's vegetable dip in rye bread.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Fruitcake, but I'm picky. Don't get me started; I will lecture. :)

Brioche. Maybe this year I'll make a pannetone. Turkey a hundred ways. Haggis. Mince pie. Hell, pie.

Mrs. Hippie lately found a nog recipe she can drink. I like it, too, but think it needs some brandy (which she can't have so oh well).

O.H.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Brioche. Maybe this year I'll make a pannetone. Turkey a hundred ways. Haggis. Mince pie. Hell, pie.

Mrs. Hippie lately found a nog recipe she can drink. I like it, too, but think it needs some brandy (which she can't have so oh well).

O.H.
I love fruitcake, to my bad I didn’t learn about it until late in life. Some wonderful stuff.

Is booze food? It makes things so much better if you know my family. 🤪

Other than that, sausage balls are a Christmas tradition.

Something like this…

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I love a good fruitcake, but my most strong food association with Christmas was my mothers home made Divinity.
I have not had it since the early 1970's when I left home, and she passed in 1983.
This thread has me thinking of trying a batch in her memory.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I love fruitcake. I make it dark and so full of fruit and nuts that the batter is almost crowded out. This year's has candied tart cherries, pineapple cubes, and citron along with currants, white raisins, and slivered almonds. On a few I soaked the fruit and nuts with orange juice, molasses, and Irish whisky. The last few used Sherried Scotch in place of the Irish. I soak them in Sherry.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Creamed pearl onions.
Huh. That's the wonderful thing about the culinary world. I ain't never heard of, prepared nor eaten a creamed pearl onion in my entire half+ century on this amazing blue marble. That being said, apparently a whole bunch of folks have and the majority say they are yummy. They are probably right... it's hard to go wrong with butter, cream and... anything.

For me- @kalmor 's standing rib roast gets me interested.

@Tirvine can drop off three dozen tamales anytime.

@Curkio 's pigs in blankies have to be comforting and beyond.

@one2mny can make homemade donuts and just tell me when to show up.

@ChiefHA 's jambalaya... oh my... I'd mutiny too if I was denied. Really.

@Old Hippie 's brioche... just yes, and then some.

@SharpieB 's sausage balls... Nummy!!!

@lasta 's turducken... glad your putting the work in, what time shall I arrive?

@Lightcs1776 , @DoctorShavegood , bake me delicious things because I won't do it myself.

@luvmysuper , @Vespasian , ...fruitcake... sure I'll try it and likely be a convert.

If you referenced booze alone... I got nothing. But cheers anyway.

For me it's 2 things. Horseradish plays into both. Gravlax in the morning, prime rib, strip or tenderloin for dinner. And a bunch of people that I like around me. Merry Christmas.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

O.H.
I always welcome a fruitcake lecture. Too bad Mrs. H cannot have brandy. For me, a martini is Christmas in a glass.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Huh. That's the wonderful thing about the culinary world. I ain't never heard of, prepared nor eaten a creamed pearl onion in my entire half+ century on this amazing blue marble. That being said, apparently a whole bunch of folks have and the majority say they are yummy. They are probably right... it's hard to go wrong with butter, cream and... anything.
Don't forget to add a dash of brandy and a few shakes of Allspice to them while simmering ;)

Top Bottom