What's new

Packing for Travel

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Don’t trust any of my good razors with TSA. I travel w a disposable BIC.
I feel the same way when carrying in. Use a Guard or Metal. But I will sometimes throw in a cheap DE as well with no blades. Like a $5 tech or something.

I have heard of someone splitting up their 3-piece DE and distributing it throughout their luggage, in the hopes that TSA won't recognize any of the parts individually as a (albeit bladeless and safe) razor. However I just bring a travel sized brush, Arko, and a cartridge razor. Do any drugstores even sell DE blades anymore, outside of a set like the VDH kit?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m saving $30 by not checking a bag and reluctantly going with a guard disposable. 😩
I’m going to test my packing light and want to avoid waiting around at the baggage carousel. So carry on is the call. I like the idea of a shave stick to avoid the liquid limit. I’ll risk a small travel bottle for aftershave. I mean I’m carrying on im
Not completely uncivilized. 😎

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have heard of someone splitting up their 3-piece DE and distributing it throughout their luggage, in the hopes that TSA won't recognize any of the parts individually as a (albeit bladeless and safe) razor. However I just bring a travel sized brush, Arko, and a cartridge razor. Do any drugstores even sell DE blades anymore, outside of a set like the VDH kit?
I do this. And I’ve posted about it. I don’t spread it too far. Just around my toiletry bag. This way tsa doesn’t see the T shaped razor and immediately know what it is.

And for the record I travel a lot. Sometimes 200 plus days a year. I check a bag 90% of the time. I travel for longer durations, usually over a week, and need to bring tools and gear a lot of the time. So when that happens I need to check luggage. So bringing a DE or two… and a variety of blades… is standard operating procedure. But if I can, which is rare, I carry on. I have my toiletry bag segregated so I just pull out my mesh insert bag with the sharp things, and replace my razor(s) with more carry on friendly items. Same thing with my separate liquids bag… just switch out the couple of items that are not tsa compliant. Easy Peasy.

Check in your bag and you will have no problem with blades or safety razor or limits regarding liquids
Brush, razor, tuck of blades, soap/cream, after shave and balm, you never know if weather is going to be super dry and cold
I dismatle razor and put in mash pocker in my dopkit. For brush I use regular brush, not travell size (never understood the point of travell brush) and I put it in tube from toilet paper, to keep it's hair sort of protected.

Check in your bag and you will have no problem with blades or safety razor or limits regarding liquids
Brush, razor, tuck of blades, soap/cream, after shave and balm, you never know if weather is going to be super dry and cold
I dismatle razor and put in mash pocker in my dopkit. For brush I use regular brush, not travell size (never understood the point of travell brush) and I put it in tube from toilet paper, to keep it's hair sort of protected.
Til they lose your bag

I too take a regular size synthetic brush in a toilet paper tube. And here I thought I would be the only one to do that. :biggrin1:

I too take a regular size synthetic brush in a toilet paper tube. And here I thought I would be the only one to do that. :biggrin1:
Nope I have used a toilet paper tube as well.

Great minds!
Jay

For air travel with carry-on, consider leaving the DE and the brush at home. Take a cart and a tube of brushless cream. Pre de Provence and Cella make nice ones. While you're at it, also take a tube of the PdP balm.

Back when I used to travel frequently for business and had to go carry-on only, I used an Eagle Creek roll-up travel bag (long discontinued but an amazing travel kit), a cartridge razor, EJ travel synthetic brush (although I'd sometimes leave that out), Palmolive shave stick, crystal deodorant, toothbrush, and tooth powder. All in all, a nice, light setup with all solids, meaning no messing with the TSA 3-1-1 rule and unpacking my toiletries at the security line. It's pretty much what I still use.

A wise man. But why the you "have to go carry-on only?" Were you not reimbursed for costs to check luggage, were there any? Or just didn't want to deal w/the hassle?

-Z

Whatever you go with, practice with your travel set up at home to fine tune whatever you use. If you have soft/normal water at home, grab a bottle of water to work with if you have local hard water. I have hard water so everywhere’s easy.

I keep a 1qt/L clear packing cubes as my carry on/always with me as a 3-1-1 kit that I’ve worked out of for up to a month. I’ve got a bigger kit that can go in checked baggage.

I picked up a Trac II and a 100 pack of Persona carts for TSA checks. It’s fine, and won’t break in my baggage like disposables have. Carry on? That’s what I’m taking. Otherwise, I take what I want

A wise man. But why the you "have to go carry-on only?" Were you not reimbursed for costs to check luggage, were there any? Or just didn't want to deal w/the hassle?

-Z
I was usually on pretty tight timelines, so the faster I could get from the airport to wherever I was going, the better. Most of the time, I was just going to be somewhere for a day or so and thus I didn't need to pack a lot. I also hate dealing with the hassle of waiting for my bags. I'm a pretty light packer even in my personal life and can easily travel for a week with just a carry-on, so it's far from a hardship.

I was usually on pretty tight timelines, so the faster I could get from the airport to wherever I was going, the better. Most of the time, I was just going to be somewhere for a day or so and thus I didn't need to pack a lot. I also hate dealing with the hassle of waiting for my bags. I'm a pretty light packer even in my personal life and can easily travel for a week with just a carry-on, so it's far from a hardship.

Gotcha. In contrast, I usually spent M-F at my destination, occasionally starting through Saturday as well. So, I needed to pack quite a bit more. And, as I've said elsewhere, I always needed to bring some tools with me, & no way were any of those going to make it through in carry on.

-Z

So, my wife & I are traveling next week. Obviously, I need to pack my shaving kit. Here it is, followed w/a question.

20230112_131705.jpg

Obviously, I'm putting this in my checked language, separate from the rest of my toiletry bag, which I carry on.

As you can see, I get around any potential issues re: liquid by bringing Proraso shaving soap rather than a tube. And, given that the pack in the middle is Spearhead Shaving's WWI replica kit, I figured to keep things historically consistent by packing the same model Gillette Old Type that an actual WWI doughboy may have carri.

Theirin lies the question: I packed the Old Type rather than my reliable ball-end post-war Tech (below). From your experience, between Old Type & Post-war Tech, which is the milder razor?

20230112_132951.jpg

Thx,
-Z

Top Bottom