Date
365 days of shaving355/351
(100%)
GRUME December18/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving to NE-SW)
second and third pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE | cheeks)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NW-SE)
second and third pass neck: Gillette Slant (SE-NW | neck)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Improved
Bolzano (4)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (couple of weepers on jaw line)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth run with the Bolzano blade and this time with my beloved NEW Improved. For me this razor has the same efficiency as a R41, but with a little bit more smoothness - despite the increased blade feel with the NEW Improved.

I decided to use a follow through stroke today (aka longer strokes) and so my CB Curve stroke began on the top cheek and followed through down the neck without taking the razor off of my face. The NEW Improved let's me do that and I do not do it with any razor (yet). I just wanted to know if it would increase the effectiveness of the first WTG pass as I have this idea that because of my usual shorter strokes I tend to be less effective at the junction of cheek and neck (better known as the jawline!).

The first pass proved to be very, very effective indeed and quite frankly I could have really stopped right then and there and make it a comfortable CCS/DFS shave in one pass. But recently I am not so much interested in efficiency as I am in making the most of each pass in terms of hair reduction. Second pass using Gillette Slides was super smooth and very comfortable. A very pleasurable experience. Going ATG and a bit XTG on the jawline and chin proved to be more challenging so I only did ATG on the cheeks and neck. I let my mustache and chin area ATG-free with doing only W/XTG strokes. This resulted in a very close shave on all areas of my face with parts approaching marble status - similar to the R41 and Timeless .95.

The whole experience was very comfortable and easy going - until I began my post shave routine. I saw some minor weepers and so just in case I brought out the alum block. The alum stung pretty good on neck and jawline and apparently I nicked myself beyond minor weepers. And they remained open until breakfast, because even the LOTH noticed red spots. Really weird, because during the shave I had no signals pointing to anything but a comfortable shave.

The end result was super slick and smooth and I was very happy with my face. So a fine shave, but I think this blade has had its peak performance already - also given its previous performances with other razors. The NEW Improved is an excellent razor, easily competing with modern top end razors if you ask me. The only minor downside is the quite extensive blade reveal /overhang to the sides.
Got to be careful with that “extensive overhang”, but with that mentioned I take advantage of the overhang by going at a 45 degree angle for those pesky hairs right under the nose. NW-SE and NE-SW.

No No…..It was supposed to read I have to be very careful when taking advantage of that NW-SE and NE-SW 45 degree angle shave right under the nose with that overhang on the ends. Sorry about that!!! BUT now that you mentioned it, perhaps I should explore the possibility…🫣🤕🤔
Aha! Ok +1 on that one! I ‘attack’ the moustache area at an angle always. Even N-S WTG is somewhat incompatible with my growth pattern so I find that slanted or NW-SE as you say is indeed the best way for me too!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving356/352
(100%)
GRUME December19/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WTGN-S
XTGW-E
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95
Bolzano (5)
Eddison (13)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (one tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The showdown. Today I did the left side of my face with the R41 and the right side with the Timeless. Both with used blades and both with the accompanying hands (left with left and right with right) in the first pass. No fancy stuff, textbook strokes.

The first pass with the R41 was slightly harsh on the first few strokes, but it evened out. This razor is very effective at its job and so the stubble was no match. A similar pattern evolved on the right side minus the harsher first strokes. This combination is buttery smooth. I could simultaneously feel and not feel the blade if you know what I mean. First pass went to the R41 as far as effectiveness goes - slightly better job overall although I have to admit my right side has more trouble areas on the jaw line so the Ti95 has to work harder there compared to the R41.

Second pass no dramas. Smooth on both sides and both razors performing equally well. There was definitely more blade sensation with the R41 and it wasn’t very smooth. I noticed myself skipping beats to avoid the feeling. The Ti95 was just smooth.

Third pass ATG in most parts except for above the upper lip. One tiny weeper on the left side. Other than that smooth sailing with both razors delivering a wonderful performance. Above the upper lip the R41 has the photo finish but maybe also because I did not exactly duplicate the stroking pattern on the right side.

Overall very very close with both razors delivering a BBS result without noticeable differences. I am giving a nudge to the Ti95 in terms of smoothness and comfort - but the blade played a role in that so for now maybe a tie is in order.

I will repeat today’s shave and reverse the razors in use so R41 on the right and Ti95 on the left. For experimental purposes I will use the same blades.

All other gear performed in excellence to support this showdown. I believe the DVH is my cheapest brush and it lathers way above its weight.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date
365 days of shaving357/353
(100%)
GRUME December20/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WTGN-S
XTGW-E
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95
Bolzano (6)
Eddison (14)
Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS & Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The showdown II. Today I did the right side of my face with the R41 and the left side with the Timeless. Both with used blades and both with the accompanying hands (left with left and right with right) in the first pass. No fancy stuff, textbook strokes. More stubble than yesterday morning so a good test for both razors.

First pass goes to the R41. More stubble removed than the Timeless and this time with similar smoothness and comfort as opposed to yesterday.

Second pass was again for the R41 but the advantage is decreasing. The right side neck was done with the Timeless by accident - or was it because it was so goood?! I corrected that by using the R41 for the entire moustache area and upper chin.

Third pass and equal performance to end in a tie with both razors delivering a swell BBS.

Again very very close to one another. During post shave routine I realised that part of the slight advantage the R41 has is because its blade has just one third of the mileage the Eddison has in the Timeless. So although I promised @lasta I would ditch the Bolzano, shaving science requires me to continue the experiment. So I switched the blades and tomorrow we’ll continue this showdown. Should I do alternating sides again as well I wonder?

Other gear was in full support of the shave. I absolutely like this Omega Roma brush. It is soft to the face, but has a firm back bone too. I did a hybrid bowl and face lathering and this brush excels at both!

Enjoy your shave today!

lasta

Blade Biter
Date
(100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WTGN-S
XTGW-E
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95
Bolzano (6)
Eddison (14)
Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

The showdown II. Today I did the right side of my face with the R41 and the left side with the Timeless. Both with used blades and both with the accompanying hands (left with left and right with right) in the first pass. No fancy stuff, textbook strokes. More stubble than yesterday morning so a good test for both razors.

First pass goes to the R41. More stubble removed than the Timeless and this time with similar smoothness and comfort as opposed to yesterday.

Second pass was again for the R41 but the advantage is decreasing. The right side neck was done with the Timeless by accident - or was it because it was so goood?! I corrected that by using the R41 for the entire moustache area and upper chin.

Third pass and equal performance to end in a tie with both razors delivering a swell BBS.

Again very very close to one another. During post shave routine I realised that part of the slight advantage the R41 has is because its blade has just one third of the mileage the Eddison has in the Timeless. So although I promised @lasta I would ditch the Bolzano, shaving science requires me to continue the experiment. So I switched the blades and tomorrow we’ll continue this showdown. Should I do alternating sides again as well I wonder?

Other gear was in full support of the shave. I absolutely like this Omega Roma brush. It is soft to the face, but has a firm back bone too. I did a hybrid bowl and face lathering and this brush excels at both!

Enjoy your shave today!
I don't know how you are in real life. But from your online personality, you look like the kinda guy who'd walk in bar, smash a beer bottle, then proceed to shave with the broken shards and some beer foam.

You'd probably get BBS from it too.

I don't know how you are in real life. But from your online personality, you look like the kinda guy who'd walk in bar, smash a beer bottle, then proceed to shave with the broken shards and some beer foam.

You'd probably get BBS from it too.
Everything is possible when you abide by the first rule of DE shaving: “no pressure”! 😁

I am actually more like a care bear in real life really. Or perhaps like a Meller: with a little kick inside.

Guido

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Guido75 you gotta add the bar/comb/scalloped for some razors, like the Timeless in this case. SB/OC/SC e.g. should be enough to differentiate.

I think an eager person could calculate when you started shaving last year. :)
(100%)

@Guido75 you gotta add the bar/comb/scalloped for some razors, like the Timeless in this case. SB/OC/SC e.g. should be enough to differentiate.

I think an eager person could calculate when you started shaving last year. :)
(100%)
Will do tomorrow! I sometimes forget, thanks.

And that eagerness is actually just 2022 - I have had days where I shaved twice just for the fun of it or to try a new razor!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving356/352
(100%)
GRUME December19/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3
Passes3
WTGN-S
XTGW-E
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)
Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95
Bolzano (5)
Eddison (13)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Nivea (Balm)
Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (one tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)
Notes to today’s shave:
The showdown. Today I did the left side of my face with the R41 and the right side with the Timeless. Both with used blades and both with the accompanying hands (left with left and right with right) in the first pass. No fancy stuff, textbook strokes.

The first pass with the R41 was slightly harsh on the first few strokes, but it evened out. This razor is very effective at its job and so the stubble was no match. A similar pattern evolved on the right side minus the harsher first strokes. This combination is buttery smooth. I could simultaneously feel and not feel the blade if you know what I mean. First pass went to the R41 as far as effectiveness goes - slightly better job overall although I have to admit my right side has more trouble areas on the jaw line so the Ti95 has to work harder there compared to the R41.

Second pass no dramas. Smooth on both sides and both razors performing equally well. There was definitely more blade sensation with the R41 and it wasn’t very smooth. I noticed myself skipping beats to avoid the feeling. The Ti95 was just smooth.

Third pass ATG in most parts except for above the upper lip. One tiny weeper on the left side. Other than that smooth sailing with both razors delivering a wonderful performance. Above the upper lip the R41 has the photo finish but maybe also because I did not exactly duplicate the stroking pattern on the right side.

Overall very very close with both razors delivering a BBS result without noticeable differences. I am giving a nudge to the Ti95 in terms of smoothness and comfort - but the blade played a role in that so for now maybe a tie is in order.

I will repeat today’s shave and reverse the razors in use so R41 on the right and Ti95 on the left. For experimental purposes I will use the same blades.

All other gear performed in excellence to support this showdown. I believe the DVH is my cheapest brush and it lathers way above its weight.

Enjoy your shave today!
Date
(100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WTGN-S
XTGW-E
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95
Bolzano (6)
Eddison (14)
Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Enjoy your shave today!
Fun to see others do not mind the side side then switch :)

My side to sides I would mostly use the same blade and just change it quickly :)
sometimes I would use two of the same blade starting new and then swap that blade to the other razor for the next day just to try to keep the blade variance as small as I could

Fun to see others do not mind the side side then switch :)

My side to sides I would mostly use the same blade and just change it quickly :)
sometimes I would use two of the same blade starting new and then swap that blade to the other razor for the next day just to try to keep the blade variance as small as I could
Good one - I can see that working for future comparison shaves (which are likely to happen once my Discovery Blade Adventure comes to an end!)

Cheers,

Guido

Good one - I can see that working for future comparison shaves (which are likely to happen once my Discovery Blade Adventure comes to an end!)

Cheers,

Guido
shave nerd things we do :) hahahahaahah

Just for fun conversation :)
yeah I did the blades once earlier just to find what was comfy and learn for that next 2 yrs of testing and fun to see how much I have changed or stay consistent with over the 2+ yrs ?
Or what has kinda stayed consistent and that staying consistent I have learned is what I ended up liking in the end but glad I tried some more agressive razors or other soaps etc..

I find it interesting how blades can make or break a razor and a blade great in one razor can be bad in another so to me that testing is so worth it but also tough as quite a few are so close :)

Bottom line I am blown away I love shaving and find it so so comfy now ! So well worth all this fun discovery

Date
365 days of shaving358/354
(100%)
GRUME December21/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving to NE-SW)

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Super Adjustable v3 (birth quarter)Gillette Wilkinson (4)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A memorable day today and so I brought out the Curly Razor - my birth quarter razor by @Curly Straight. My son's 16th birthday is today. Among his gifts is a DE razor he is getting from @mgweatherly - a stunning and pristine looking Gillette Slim Adjustable. He has not unpacked it yet, because it is also a regular school day - but we will pick that up later today (unless he has other plans; puberty can lead to different priorities!). Both razors can perfectly serve as a daily driver - as they do for other B&B borthers.

The shave was simply bliss and amazing. First two passes on setting 5 took care of the morning beard with ease. I dialed down to 2 for the ATG, but changed it to 3-4 midway. The Wilkinson blade is mild and comfortable while still able in doing a good job.

All in all a great shave with excellent performance of all gear involved.

lasta

Blade Biter
Date
365 days of shaving358/354
(100%)
GRUME December21/30 (97%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving to NE-SW)

ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Super Adjustable v3 (birth quarter)Gillette Wilkinson (4)Omega Super Badger
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Executive Man (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

A memorable day today and so I brought out the Curly Razor - my birth quarter razor by @Curly Straight. My son's 16th birthday is today. Among his gifts is a DE razor he is getting from @mgweatherly - a stunning and pristine looking Gillette Slim Adjustable. He has not unpacked it yet, because it is also a regular school day - but we will pick that up later today (unless he has other plans; puberty can lead to different priorities!). Both razors can perfectly serve as a daily driver - as they do for other B&B borthers.

The shave was simply bliss and amazing. First two passes on setting 5 took care of the morning beard with ease. I dialed down to 2 for the ATG, but changed it to 3-4 midway. The Wilkinson blade is mild and comfortable while still able in doing a good job.

All in all a great shave with excellent performance of all gear involved.
Hmm, sharing a sink with the old man or night out with the ladies. Priorities priorities!

Top Bottom