What's new

Packing for Travel

Back when I did the road warrior routine had a nice Edwin Jagger travel brush and tube. Eventually switched to electric for travel.

Check on Amazon for the Heritage.
It IS a Mühle R89 head (as opposed to the KCG) with a vintage inspired handle from Gillette.

My primary travel kit is a Mühle Rytmo (R89) with the Ash handle. I really like my R89, as it's been pretty much my daily shaver all year. Shaves very effective, smooth, and some would say mild which is fine by me. I have others which can satisfy that that void.

To be fair, anything with an exposed blade has to carry some level of bite to it.
Thanks for posting about this Heritage! I just impulsively ordered one. The Muhle head alone is $25. Love the handle and case and, mostly importantly, I have absolutely no need for it! :D

Check out this thread:

I've used this set up for years. The only thing not in the picture is whatever tub of soap i decide to take. I usually toss a few desicant packs that come in pill bottles in with the razor and in the brush carrier to absorb moisture. The rubber bands around the brush carrier are to hang the brush from a towel bar while on the road. I also have an SB and an OC plate for that Timeless and the spare goes in the little pouch with the blades.

Attachments

• travel shave.png
    travel shave.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I've used this set up for years. The only thing not in the picture is whatever tub of soap i decide to take. I usually toss a few desicant packs that come in pill bottles in with the razor and in the brush carrier to absorb moisture. The rubber bands around the brush carrier are to hang the brush from a towel bar while on the road. I also have an SB and an OC plate for that Timeless and the spare goes in the little pouch with the blades.

Was kind of wondering how I would hang the brush to dry… rubber band is a good idea!

as a SR user who once travelled regularly, I battled with the decisions to check in luggage vs carry-on. my travel was often only a few days at a time and checking-in added significant time and hassle to my journeys.
Also - I didnt want to compromise and wanted to use my preferred choice of kit. Trying to work around the carry on rules, I tried an empty shavette but had quite a few confiscated regardless, arguing with the airport security was frustrating. This was about 12-13 years ago and was in SE Asia so rules may differ for you.

Once I had some regularity to my route, I found the best was to keep an extra set in my office drawers. At times, I had sets of kit (each with 2-3 sr's a couple soaps, aftershave and a strop) waiting for me when I got to a regular stop (only 2-3 cities were regular). The extra razors meant I could accomodate surprise trips or changes to schedule while already away from home - these then needing check-in but were less frequent.
I could travel light, use my preferred kit and still be confidently presentable.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Was kind of wondering how I would hang the brush to dry… rubber band is a good idea!
If you use a synth brush, you certainly don’t need to hang it upside down to dry. A few shakes over the shower/tub and it’s 95% dry. An hour sitting on the dresser or desk and it’s good to go.

There are many discussions on here debating if a badger needs to be hung upside down as well. I only travel with synth brushes if I’m going by air. So,it doesn’t matter for me.

At one point I designed a folding brush stand for traveling and 3D printed it. Yes, I travel that much. 😀 But I rarely use it, if ever.

Before retirement, I used to work as an airline pilot, which involved a lot of overnight layovers and encounters with TSA/CATSA or other airport security.
Yet, I often only travelled with a carry-on bag for my personal belongings.

I found that a disassembled three piece safety razor fitted nicely next to my toothbrush in the electric toothbrush container.
Blades were usually available at (international) destinations, sometimes even at a drugstore located at the airport.

A synthetic shaving brush was essential, as there was often not enough time for a natural fibre brush to thoroughly dry before checking out of the hotel.

If space was at a premium, a good shaving stick also helped (La Toja in its plastic container was very almost ideal, but sometimes came loose and I started to put the stick in a small Ziploc bag, Tabac was better in this respect, but is more expensive and not everyone cares for the scent).
Most of the time, I travelled however with a shaving soap in a container with tight lid (e.g. Haslinger) that didn’t come off in the carry-on bag.

B.

Last edited:
I am currently in Cyprus (on holiday from the UK for a week) and took a synth Yaqi brush, a Wilkinson Sword blue shave stick and the Gillette Guard. Solid travel set up, although sadly the Wilkinson shave stick has been discontinued and I may need to shop around for a replacement. Most likely I will go back to the Lea stick.

Incidentally whilst I was in a discount store here earlier today I found BIC Metal razors at €1.40 for 5 razors. So I will give these a try tomorrow as they have had solid reviews here as ‘travel friendly razors.’

Before retirement, I used to work as an airline pilot, which involved a lot of overnight layovers and encounters with TSA/CATSA or other airport security.
Yet, I often only travelled with a carry-on bag for my personal belongings.

I found that a disassembled three piece safety razor fitted nicely next to my toothbrush in the electric toothbrush container.
Blades were usually available at (international) destinations, sometimes even at a drugstore located at the airport.

A synthetic shaving brush was essential, as there was often not enough time for a natural fibre brush to thoroughly dry before checking out of the hotel.

If space was at a premium, a good shaving stick also helped (La Toja in its plastic container was very almost ideal, but sometimes came loose and I started to put the stick in a small Ziploc bag, Tabac was better in this respect, but is more expensive and not everyone cares for the scent).
Most of the time, I travelled however with a shaving soap in a container with tight lid (e.g. Haslinger) that didn’t come off in the carry-on bag.

B.

Nothing worse than having shaving products open up in luggage. Been there, done that.

We are flying out of state next week to visit family and I've already mailed a couple of blades in an envelope to them. I'm sure I could buy blades there, but they may not be ones that I like, and I'm spoiled. :biggrin1::facep:

My travel kit fits easily within my Dopp kit:
Lord L6 razor (light, effective and it won’t break my heart if I forget it in a hotel room)
Simpsons Wee Scot brush packed in a pill bottle from my pharmacy (with a few drilled holes)
La Toja stick
Small bottle of AS in my ‘liquids’ container for TSA

I either purchase blades at my destination or mail a few blades to my hotel before I leave.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Planning for an upcoming domestic us trip and thinking about just going carry on. The thought of going disposable is a huge bummer but really no option. I checked tsa for any updated info. Is that a double negative? Allowed without blade. No. Lol 😂

Safety Razor With Blades (allowed without blade)​

Carry On Bags: No

I have a Parker 4 piece travel razor that fits In a small leather pouch that I've taken in my carry-on a couple of times with no trouble. I mailed a couple of blades in an envelope to my destination ahead of time. Worked for me.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I used to travel weekly for my job. When I did, I always packed my razor in my checked luggage (I had to check at least one bag, since I was on the road for a week at a time and needed my tools). If I wanted to travel w/a carry-on only, I'd probably just buy a disposable razor at my destination, rather than risk anything.

-Z

Back when I used to travel frequently for business and had to go carry-on only, I used an Eagle Creek roll-up travel bag (long discontinued but an amazing travel kit), a cartridge razor, EJ travel synthetic brush (although I'd sometimes leave that out), Palmolive shave stick, crystal deodorant, toothbrush, and tooth powder. All in all, a nice, light setup with all solids, meaning no messing with the TSA 3-1-1 rule and unpacking my toiletries at the security line. It's pretty much what I still use.

Top Bottom