What's new

Bay Rum for Warm Seasons

Dear gents in this forum,
I am quite addicted to bay rum scented AS which is generally thought to be suitable for cold day.
My most favorite bay rum AS is CC Co9T, but I think it is too warm in summer days.
Ogallala Bay Rum cologne (double strength) is a bit too sweet for me.
I own PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum solid cologne as well and wear it almost daily (after GYM).
Long Rifle Hunting Lodge is a variant of bay rum and grows on me.
I want to get some bay rum AS with good longevity and sillage, and consider the following stuffs.
1. Chiseled Face Bay Rum (This one has lime and is mentholated.)
2. PAA Coconut Bay Rum (Coconut is surely suitable for warm seasons, but I am afraid this one be very different from traditional bay rum.)
3. Stirling Bay Rum (Many gents reports that this is a traditional bay rum.)

Which one should one get?
Please let me know if there is any other bay rum AS worth trying.
Any forthcoming opinions are highly appreciated.

In my experience most bay rums are not a lasting scent, which is why I prefer them. Aftershaves that hang around for hours give me a headache. The bay rums that meet my short-lived criteria are CC Bay Rum, Co9T and the North variant. Having spent time in the 50s and early 60s with a grandma who rolled her own cigs while gumming cloves and Bazooka gum, the Ogallala aftershave clove scent is comforting. I used to have other Ogallala AS/Cologne, but now only stick to the BR AS. I didn't care for the Bootlegger variants, or other BR's. I still have a couple of bottles of Superior 70 Bay Rum, which I probably use more for wound cleansing than aftershave. I used to be able to pick up S70 locally for $3-4 a bottle.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You might consider C.O.Bigelow bay rum cologne; not an AS but the scent is delightful and long lasting compared to most bay rums.

20221102_132802.jpg

1671396244322.jpeg

Ethos is launching Bay Rum Island with a coconut scent - they will also have a regular I believe. If it’s warm weather, this will be in my consideration. I
Should have some by Christmas… just waiting for my order to ship and for the properties, I just get a great result from the skin food from Ethos.

But I’m a Bay Rum junkie, can use it 12 months a year.

Last edited:
Dear gents in this forum,
I am quite addicted to bay rum scented AS which is generally thought to be suitable for cold day.
My most favorite bay rum AS is CC Co9T, but I think it is too warm in summer days.
Ogallala Bay Rum cologne (double strength) is a bit too sweet for me.
I own PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum solid cologne as well and wear it almost daily (after GYM).
Long Rifle Hunting Lodge is a variant of bay rum and grows on me.
I want to get some bay rum AS with good longevity and sillage, and consider the following stuffs.
1. Chiseled Face Bay Rum (This one has lime and is mentholated.)
2. PAA Coconut Bay Rum (Coconut is surely suitable for warm seasons, but I am afraid this one be very different from traditional bay rum.)
3. Stirling Bay Rum (Many gents reports that this is a traditional bay rum.)

Which one should one get?
Please let me know if there is any other bay rum AS worth trying.
Any forthcoming opinions are highly appreciated.
I highly recommend D.R. Harris Bay Rum

Two candidates.
TOBS Bay Rum and Penhaligon's Bayolea.
As smell/texture/longevity are so subjective with these (and all) juices, you really have to get samples and judge for yourself!

2 bays.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My list for warmer weather Bay Rums would include:

Chiseled Face Bay Rum
PAA Classico Bay Rum
PAA Coconut Bay with Lime
Thor's Hammer Bay Rum with Lime
WSP Bay Rum
DR Harris Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia Bay Rum

To my nose, these are either lighter style Bay Rums...or they have the addition of lime or menthol.

Dear gents,
I appreciate your suggestions a lot, and will try them soon.
Have you ever tried PAA solid cologne?
In my very limited expereiences, solid cologne seemms to be better longevity than aftershave splash does.
How about your experiences?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My list for warmer weather Bay Rums would include:

Chiseled Face Bay Rum
PAA Classico Bay Rum
PAA Coconut Bay with Lime
Thor's Hammer Bay Rum with Lime
WSP Bay Rum
DR Harris Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum
Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia Bay Rum

To my nose, these are either lighter style Bay Rums...or they have the addition of lime or menthol.

Missed an obvious one...
PAA Pineapple Bay Rum

And on that note, there's also...
Black Ship Grooming Blackbeard
But, honestly, to my nose...this is more lime than Bay Rum.

My favourite bay rum scented products are Stirling’s witch hazel and aloe splash and Dr Jon’s Anne Bonny. The former is a spicy bay rum while the latter is a nice sweet bay rum which I believe contains no clove. Good luck, I love bay rum!

My favourite bay rum scented products are Stirling’s witch hazel and aloe splash and Dr Jon’s Anne Bonny. The former is a spicy bay rum while the latter is a nice sweet bay rum which I believe contains no clove. Good luck, I love bay rum!

Dear @Beefdrippings,
I apprecite your input very much.
I am on the fence of acquiring Dr. Jon’s Anne Bonny beacuse it is on the sale list in Pasteur Pharmacy.
Have you ever tried Ogallala BR which tends to be too sweet for me?
Could Dr. Jon’s Anne Bonny be sweeter than Ogallala?

They’re quite different. Ogallala almost smells more vanilla esque to me. If you’d like I could send you a small sample of Anne Bonny. Just PM me your address.
Dear @Beefdrippings,
I apprecite your input very much.
I am on the fence of acquiring Dr. Jon’s Anne Bonny beacuse it is on the sale list in Pasteur Pharmacy.
Have you ever tried Ogallala BR which tends to be too sweet for me?
Could Dr. Jon’s Anne Bonny be sweeter than Ogallala?

Ogallala Bay Rum Limes and Peppercorn double strength.

I almost prefer that one over their bay rum double a/s which lasts hours on me and overpowers all but my strongest edt’s and colognes.
In fact, on my next order I’m going with their regular bay rum a/s and the usual double limes and peppercorn a/s.

Almost forgot to add that I much prefer Ogallala bay rum a/s scent over their bay rum cologne.

Last edited:
Top Bottom