What's new

Inquiry: Western Vs. Japanese Kamisori style Shavette?

I reckon you're onto something! (Enabled exuberance)

Haha! Cool I'm glad to hear that the Feather Artist Club seems to be super highly regarded by all. Quick question man... What's your thoughts on the SS vs. the SR? The SS seems to be considered the most user friendly entry point; but with that said I've read lots of folks say it had a rounded head that though protective can be limiting to blade exposure etc.

I would go the SS but considering the AC Feathers are costly! I'd trying to decide whether longer term the SR mightn't be more valuable. Let me know if you have any thoughts! 🥃
I only have the SS, I feel it has more than enough blade exposure, I don't find the lip limiting in any way, shape or form.

I shave with true straights also, the Feather SS performs just as good, and the fact that the blades are such good quality makes it ideal for when I am in the mood for a straight but I don't feel motivated enough to do the sharpening/stropping that the straight requires.

Yes the blades seem a bit pricey but once you do the math, they are well worth penny by penny, I hear kai AC blades are just as good as feathers and they are somewhat cheaper. Also I’ve seem some Kai or other brands making AC razors and they look exactly like the feather, so my guess is they are well done clones for a fraction of the price so you might want to venture that route.

G

Guest2023

Guys, I am a DE man but now I am interested in the AC Kamisori.

Kai Kasho or Feather SS ???

Vintage Schick Proline is also great :)

Guys, I am a DE man but now I am interested in the AC Kamisori.

Kai Kasho or Feather SS ???
Tough call. The SS ls probably slightly easier to learn with. I uses it as my only shavette for quite some time.

Having said that, if I were forced to give up either my SS or my Kasho right now, I would give up the SS and keep the Kasho. For me it is just a tiny bit better.

I only have the SS, I feel it has more than enough blade exposure, I don't find the lip limiting in any way, shape or form.

I shave with true straights also, the Feather SS performs just as good, and the fact that the blades are such good quality makes it ideal for when I am in the mood for a straight but I don't feel motivated enough to do the sharpening/stropping that the straight requires.

Yes the blades seem a bit pricey but once you do the math, they are well worth penny by penny, I hear kai AC blades are just as good as feathers and they are somewhat cheaper. Also I’ve seem some Kai or other brands making AC razors and they look exactly like the feather, so my guess is they are well done clones for a fraction of the price so you might want to venture that route.
Cool well you convinced me mate.

I decided to buy the SS ⚡⚡ and have ordered some Artist Club ProGuard blades to first use in it as they seem to be universally appreciated. The SS was not too short of $300 Australian dollars at online venders here, so I decided to make a deal with the devil (Amazon) and not only payed $100 Aud, but it literally arrived this morning already. The supply chain is horrifyingly quick haha, but the SS in hand is actually gorgeously made. Look forward to giving it a spin soon!

Hi Fellas,

Long time lurker and forum enjoyer, thought I'd throw out a question to any and all.

Been DE Safety razor shaving for a couple years now and am comfortable technique and tool wise. As I have fairly reactive/sensitive skin I tend to just do one meticulous pass (generally with the grain). I figured perhaps adopting a Single-edged blade would in theory allow me to make the absolute most out of one pristine pass. So I've bought both the Parker SR1 & the Dovo Stainless Shavette and am only a shave or two in. Naturally finding the weight & moment arm of the shavette's coupled with the sheer sharpness of the blade to be awkward.

So I'm wondering as the title suggests: Are the Japanese Kamisori style Shavette's most user friendly? and or what is their merits?

My general goal is to have gorgeously smooth shaves that are as close and clean as possible, with the emphasis being on the former if anything.

Hopefully I've posted this in the right space, look forward to your thoughts,

Cheers 🥃
It depends on the blade. The Shears Direct and Dorco blades are quite forgiving. Feather Pro blades are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I would like to reiterate what others in this thread have said in that I *MUCH* prefer the Feather AC blades over DE blades in a shavette.

Having used Kai pinks and reds I find that they are not nearly as good as the Feather blades. The Kais are much more forgiving when new, but the coating seems to wear off very quickly making them very rough. The Feathers become more comfortable over time. With three pass shaves, I ditch Feathers after sixteen shaves and the Kais after four shaves.

Top Bottom