What's new

Fanchurian V16

Bought my first- what i'd call a heavy chemically treated knot from the latest Chisel & Hound drop- a V16 Fanchurian. It's vastly different than what i've been accustomed to- the not-so-much treated Simpson and Shavemac knots. I was shocked at how much it bloomed after its first lather/cleaning. The knot appeared to grow 3 times larger. It's quite dense and feels like a pillow on the face. After the first shave i spent some time trying to dry it but no matter how much towel stropping i did it remained damp. When i went back to it the next day the knot felt pretty crusty. While the face feel was delightful i'm not sure what to think of it, overall. I still prefer Simpson's Silvertip. Pics to come later.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a brush I made with the Oumo handtied knot, also extremely chemically/heat altered hair. It is very, very soft, so a total different feel from non treated brushes (Shavemac, Simpson). But when the bristles have dried for two days, one can easily takes an eye out with them. They dry very hard, the tips stick together when the hair dries.

I have a couple of Chisel & Hound brushes. Mine are v11 Fanchurian knots, so several versions older than the current batch, but they are very heavily gelled and have a ‘slimy’ kind of feel. I prefer a much lighter treatment most of the time but these have their place and I’m glad I have them - I don’t have any other brushes with heavy gelling like this. It’s a different experience.

I didn't get "slimy" at all- soft cotton pillow cloud-like is certainly the best way i can describe it. A brush that is not treated sort of grips onto your skin like individual fingers whereas these treated brushes are more pillow-like feeling. The tips sticking together when the brush finally dries irks me.

Not really my cup of tea.
Screenshot_20220911-185646_Photos~2.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for this thread.

I like the Chisel and Hound handles and was considering their knot, but now I am not.

1671304536326.png

Some while back I purchased on the advice of my friend Frank of Ethos fame a highly treated and heavily gelled brush. While I initially thought I liked it I came to dislike it more and more to the point where I now plan to get rid of it. I'll either give it away or toss it in the trash. Link.

I kinda hate to inflict it on anyone. That's how much I dislike it.

Way back I recall (perhaps incorrectly) reading on the manufacturer's website or the vendor's that one could do something which would defeat the gel effect. From their point of view that would be a bad thing. Could I locate what I think I read - how to ruin the gel effect - I might try it which is why I still have the brush.

7-23-22.SV-3.Brushes.Tortoise.Cocobolo.Horn..640 (1).JPG

These most excellent Saponificio Varesino brushes also dry with a somewhat crusty hard knot and they exhibit a slight clumpy effect. However, they don't feel at all slimy. According to information posted by a gentleman somewhere on the forum he was told when he got in touch with SV that their knots are certainly not gelled.

I have other knots which I believe are for sure not chemically treated (because of things Rudy Vey and others have said). Some of them exhibit some characteristics I usually associate with gelled knots particularly clumping but do not feel or seem gelled to me when I use them.

11-29-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

Mozingo does not reveal much at all about their knot. I didn't even know it was a fan (almost a flattop) until it arrived. I purchased it because it was favorably compared with Varlets and similar knots one usually can't buy and because it was less expensive than some of those super high end brushes yet said to be quite comparable.

I'd probably call it a two band Manchurian if I had to guess, but who knows what that means. I have a Simpson Manchurian, a couple of Shavemac non-DO1 two bands, a couple of Rudy Vey Manchurians, and three SV Manchurians, plus a interesting and excellent Zenith Manchurian or two. All I know about Manchurians is its a marketing term. I also tend to like Manchurians but they're certainly not all the same.

I also have a RV Shavemac DO1 two band. I think of it as being a Manchurian on steroids. Mine's been used a lot but I wouldn't call it soft. I'm not saying I don't like it because I do.

In transit is a Chisel and Hound naked handle. I'm thinking it will receive a Mozingo knot. Whether that's a Manchurian or not it's a damn good knot according to my tastes and preferences.

No slimy knots for me.

Thanks for this thread. I'd dodged a knot I'd hate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for this thread.

I like the Chisel and Hound handles and was considering their knot, but now I am not.

View attachment 1573642

Some while back I purchased on the advice of my friend Frank of Ethos fame a highly treated and heavily gelled brush. While I initially thought I liked it I came to dislike it more and more to the point where I now plan to get rid of it. I'll either give it away or toss it in the trash. Link.

I kinda hate to inflict it on anyone. That's how much I dislike it.

Way back I recall (perhaps incorrectly) reading on the manufacturer's website or the vendor's that one could do something which would defeat the gel effect. From their point of view that would be a bad thing. Could I locate what I think I read - how to ruin the gel effect - I might try it which is why I still have the brush.

View attachment 1573643

These most excellent Saponificio Varesino brushes also dry with a somewhat crusty hard knot and they exhibit a slight clumpy effect. However, they don't feel at all slimy. According to information posted by a gentleman somewhere on the forum he was told when he got in touch with SV that their knots are certainly not gelled.

I have other knots which I believe are for sure not chemically treated (because of things Rudy Vey and others have said). Some of them exhibit some characteristics I usually associate with gelled knots particularly clumping but do not feel or seem gelled to me when I use them.

View attachment 1573645

Mozingo does not reveal much at all about their knot. I didn't even know it was a fan (almost a flattop) until it arrived. I purchased it because it was favorably compared with Varlets and similar knots one usually can't buy and because it was less expensive than some of those super high end brushes yet said to be quite comparable.

I'd probably call it a two band Manchurian if I had to guess, but who knows what that means. I have a Simpson Manchurian, a couple of Shavemac non-DO1 two bands, a couple of Rudy Vey Manchurians, and three SV Manchurians, plus a interesting and excellent Zenith Manchurian or two. All I know about Manchurians is its a marketing term. I also tend to like Manchurians but they're certainly not all the same.

I also have a RV Shavemac DO1 two band. I think of it as being a Manchurian on steroids. Mine's been used a lot but I wouldn't call it soft. I'm not saying I don't like it because I do.

In transit is a Chisel and Hound naked handle. I'm thinking it will receive a Mozingo knot. Whether that's a Manchurian or not it's a damn good knot according to my tastes and preferences.

No slimy knots for me.

Thanks for this thread. I'd dodged a knot I'd hate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My email to Brett at the email address on his company website has bounced.

I hope he's alive and well, and still in the brush making, handle making, and knot making business. I hope I'm able to get in touch with him so I can send my new handle for knotting.

In the meantime I must consider other options. I'm not at all interested in slimy knots.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My email to Brett at the email address on his company website has bounced.

I hope he's alive and well, and still in the brush making, handle making, and knot making business. I hope I'm able to get in touch with him so I can send my new handle for knotting.

In the meantime I must consider other options. I'm not at all interested in slimy knots.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Brett responded to me on Facebook. Here is his new email address...

[email protected]

Happy shaves,

Jim

I wouldn't say the v16 is slimy. It is pillow soft because the hair is treated enough that it feels like a wall of badger rather than individual hairs on your face. Sort of like a soft cotton pillow. I'm keeping mine as of now- it does feel nice just not my overall preference. It's a pretty good knot and never sheds a hair.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Anyone know much about the Chisel and Hound Fanchurian v18?

According to an email I received today from C&H the knot is without gel tips, but what do you think or know about the v18?

The v18 Fanchurian knot is in stock and is an amazing batch of knots. It's super dense, extremely soft without gel tips, and has the backbone we love and expect from the Fanchurian line.

Thanks for any help here.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reactions: GMM
Top Bottom