What's new

Decision against straight razors

I bought a used straight on a straight razor forum a couple of years ago. I gave it a few strokes with my right hand. I am right handed. Then switched to my left hand. Wow that was never gonna happen! Put it away and haven't touched it since.
Good move I guess

Hey Sami (@sakaltras) are you still using your straights? Noticed you put a couple for sale on you Ebay page.

Despite what I said earlier I'm beginning to develop an itch and have been secretly scoping vintage straights.

I will still insist I haven't got the time for it. But I'd be buying a shave ready one and just give it a try. If it's not for me I'll probably just put it aside.
I figure if we're going to call ourselves wetshavers, we should at least have a go at it, right?

Ps, noticed a nice listing of yours said it needs to be sharpened. I'm guessing you've not started honing yet?

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I never got to straight, but was trying to learn through shavette. I found the experience to be very bloody. After about 10 shaves, I hung it up and went back to double edge safety razors. I realize that shavette razors are tougher to master than straights, but there was just way too much red for me, personally, to continue down that path. My wife would always cringe when I came out of the bathroom.

I never got to straight, but was trying to learn through shavette. I found the experience to be very bloody. After about 10 shaves, I hung it up and went back to double edge safety razors. I realize that shavette razors are tougher to master than straights, but there was just way too much red for me, personally, to continue down that path. My wife would always cringe when I came out of the bathroom.
Smart move, you know what works best

Hey Sami (@sakaltras) are you still using your straights? Noticed you put a couple for sale on you Ebay page.

Despite what I said earlier I'm beginning to develop an itch and have been secretly scoping vintage straights.

I will still insist I haven't got the time for it. But I'd be buying a shave ready one and just give it a try. If it's not for me I'll probably just put it aside.
I figure if we're going to call ourselves wetshavers, we should at least have a go at it, right?

Ps, noticed a nice listing of yours said it needs to be sharpened. I'm guessing you've not started honing yet?
I'm still using as I have used today a vintage Dovo.

edited_IMG_20221207_184757.jpg

I'm still learning and my shaves with a shimmed Old Type are closer. To be clearer, my shaves with a shimmed Old Type became closer with the technique I've learnt using straights (prep, stretching, directions, ...). So it is definitely worth trying even if you don't stay at this road.

I've started 3 month ago and I'm now at a point to reach an office acceptable shave. But that's not enough for me. Otherwise I would not be a member here ☺️

The straights at the bay are those that came in various lots to me. Trying not to become a collector and my rule is to keep just 5 straights. Have to many DE razors... I have started to hone my straights with 3 Naniwas and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Some of the straights at the bay are honed but I've learnt that everyone has their own definition if sharp.

Let me know if you would like to give them a try.

sami

I had two very bloody cuts so far that forced me each to stay away from any kind of razor for about two weeks. After about 30 shaves started to develop a technique to achieve an irritation free shave. There learning curve is very steep.

I had two very bloody cuts so far that forced me each to stay away from any kind of razor for about two weeks. After about 30 shaves started to develop a technique to achieve an irritation free shave. There learning curve is very steep.
I feel bad about the cuts, but you’re moving forward

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have always enjoyed challenges. Probably why I love being a professional engineer where my work is problem solving.

Having spent most of my life reluctantly shaving with carts (2 or 3 shaves per week) and semi retired, I wanted a new challenge. I took up SR shaving for that reason. SR shaving for me also requires total concentration, like my motorcycle riding. Things that require my total concentration relax me.

My first real SR and strop cost me $30 (new). It didn't come anywhere near shave-ready. Due to my then location, I had to teach myself to hone it from scratch. Fortunately I discovered the Method and invested <$50 to set myself up with lapping films. I already had brush and soap from cart shaving. So, for less than $80, I was into daily SR shaving.

Was SR shaving easy to learn? No. It takes time, commitment, patience and practice. All nothing new to me. Within a month or so of daily SR shaving, I was hooked addicted.

I soon invested another $50 and set myself up with diamond pasted balsa strops. That took my edges up to a level I didn't know could exist. With a pasted balsa edge, my SR never needed honing again. Edge maintenance became 1 minute stropping on clean leather before the shave and 2 minutes stropping on pasted balsa after each shave.

I could have stopped there but didn't, having since bought over 100 SRs and 11 whetstones during the past 3 years. That was by choice, not necessity. Total cost has only been a little over $8k, within my budget.

That's my SR story but I understand SR shaving is not for everyone. I feel there are two main valid reasons why people don't take up SR shaving or soon drop out. They are either too scared or they cannot/will not commit to the time, patience and practice to learn. Nothing wrong with that.

For my own selfish reasons, I now initially try to discourage people from taking up SR shaving. A bit like an illicit drug addict trying to discourage others from taking them up, hoping that that will reduce the prices he has to pay.

I am still too scared to shave with a "safety" razor, but I am working on overcoming my fear.

Last edited:
Now after more or less mastering the technique I think I should try to go further. It was a hard (and bloody) period learning.

But, what does straight razor shaving give me that DE razors don't. For me, Old Type Pocket Edition razors have a unreachable beauty. With a shim they are great razors...

If you keep stressing how bloody & messy things were I'm never going to buy your Tückmar, lol. :D
I'm still in doubt though. I'm not someone who is very persistent, I give up on things quickly and I'm not the best at maintaining my stuff.

Sure enough though, since I got into de-shaving I noticed I do actually take care of them (clean and dry razors and brushes after each shave, put them on a shelf to show them off) and enjoy doing so.
Straights do look ever so awesome, I can see myself enjoying honing and stropping as well. It sounds relaxing.
But I'm a bit hesitant on buying a strop, paste and especially a or multiple honing stones before I know I would actually enjoy using the straight. I don't like wasting money, times are rough.

Am I scared to shave with one? Maybe a bit, but I've tried a shavette and that went alright so I'm guessing I would survive.
One other than that DOES bother me is having something like that lying around with my daughter (age 5,5) plundering every drawer in the house. Same issue with razor blades ofcourse and she does stay away from those.

If you keep stressing how bloody & messy things were I'm never going to buy your Tückmar, lol. :D
I'm still in doubt though. I'm not someone who is very persistent, I give up on things quickly and I'm not the best at maintaining my stuff.

Sure enough though, since I got into de-shaving I noticed I do actually take care of them (clean and dry razors and brushes after each shave, put them on a shelf to show them off) and enjoy doing so.
Straights do look ever so awesome, I can see myself enjoying honing and stropping as well. It sounds relaxing.
But I'm a bit hesitant on buying a strop, paste and especially a or multiple honing stones before I know I would actually enjoy using the straight. I don't like wasting money, times are rough.

Am I scared to shave with one? Maybe a bit, but I've tried a shavette and that went alright so I'm guessing I would survive.
One other than that DOES bother me is having something like that lying around with my daughter (age 5,5) plundering every drawer in the house. Same issue with razor blades ofcourse and she does stay away from those.
I never used the Tuckmar. It is made of stainless steel and thus harder to hone. So I did not even try to hone it with my very limited honing skills :cool:

However honing is part of the fun. I know a lot of people collecting honing stones.

I ordered a vintage, shave-ready E. A. Berg Eskilstuna from StraightRazorStore on Etsy.
The store has 165 sells with 5 star ratings, so I'm guessing/hoping his razors really are shave-ready.

Would have loved to tried yours, Sami - I've bought from you before and know your reliable but if it's not honed I can't use it (...yet :))

If I ever get it and survive, I'll be sure to post on here. :)

1671464385506.png

Now after more or less mastering the technique I think I should try to go further. It was a hard (and bloody) period learning.

But, what does straight razor shaving give me that DE razors don't. For me, Old Type Pocket Edition razors have a unreachable beauty. With a shim they are great razors...
The pocket edition is a great razor, I don’t use it much any more since I just bought a 1912 old type. I get straight razor results from my old types and switch from straights, electrics , de and carts. It makes the hobby more enjoyable for me.

The pocket edition is a great razor, I don’t use it much any more since I just bought a 1912 old type. I get straight razor results from my old types and switch from straights, electrics , de and carts. It makes the hobby more enjoyable for me.
For me, all Old Types with thin caps (102) are great. Most of my DE razors are Old Types :)

I ordered a vintage, shave-ready E. A. Berg Eskilstuna from StraightRazorStore on Etsy.
The store has 165 sells with 5 star ratings, so I'm guessing/hoping his razors really are shave-ready.

Would have loved to tried yours, Sami - I've bought from you before and know your reliable but if it's not honed I can't use it (...yet :))

If I ever get it and survive, I'll be sure to post on here. :)

View attachment 1574558
The Swedish straight are excellent. I never had one, but heard only good things about them.

Let me know if you get addicted 🙂 I have some straights not listed at the bay and I would hone them for free.

Top Bottom