What's new

Good options for tools to clean cartridges?

My natural tendency is to want to use a wooden toothpick, but even that seems to result in the blade feeling damaged against my skin. I keep thinking that maybe I'm imagining it or it's coincidence but... hm. I suspect that even wood can damage the blades.

So... hmph. lol

Do people have any thoughts? Often the carts get very gummed up by hair and so on, especially if you're like me and you often wait a bit too long between shaves!

I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this?

Thanks all!

When I use a cart for head shaves, I strop it on a towel afterwards to dry it off and that usually cleans it out a bit too. I rarely go longer than 2 days without shaving my head, so don't get much hair stuck in them, though.

A small brush would probably work fine, too. Like those little plastic brushes that come with electric shavers. Heck, a fingernail brush is probably the same thing and another option.

When I use a cart for head shaves, I strop it on a towel afterwards to dry it off and that usually cleans it out a bit too. I rarely go longer than 2 days without shaving my head, so don't get much hair stuck in them, though.

A small brush would probably work fine, too. Like those little plastic brushes that come with electric shavers. Heck, a fingernail brush is probably the same thing and another option.

I guess yeah maybe plastic is a better option. I tried paper recently and that didn't seem to damage them.

Odd that wood seems to. I guess it's hard to tell because although wood is much softer than metal it's such a fine and fragile cutting edge.

I used to keep an old toothbrush with the razors. A couple of swipes across the blades would usually dislodge the stuck hairs. DE razors solved that problem though.

I used to keep an old toothbrush with the razors. A couple of swipes across the blades would usually dislodge the stuck hairs. DE razors solved that problem though.

I do really like safety razors. But I just find issues with them. With some it's super easy to accidentally cut your fingers and... I'm a sloppy person so I don't like that risk to be in the background too much!

Also I find I get more skin irritation.

I've compared my Bic Hybrid 3 to a safety razor (half of my face with one and half with the other) and the aftershave stung way more on the safety razor side.

So... I'm not sure.

If you insist on using cartridges, then using an ultra soft toothbrush might be the best bet. However, I very much agree with you that DE razors are a far better option.

Carts collect dead skin and are feeding ground to bacteria, cause ingrown hairs and are uncomfortable to shave with
Safety razors are just the oposite
I'm glad I ditched carts for life

The best way to clean a cartridge razor would be to toss it in the trash and learn how to properly use a DE 🤣 …just saying.

It helps to rinse frequently during the shave. I've pretty much switched to single-blade carts (Gillette Guard and UNO Shave Co.) and I have no problems with clogging at all. The Guard in particular is very easy to keep clean even with heavy growth and infrequent rinsing; I'm not sure it's possible to clog that razor.

Top Bottom