What's new

Nostalgia Shave

This morning during my shave, I thought about what else was happening in the shaving world because of the soap I was using (HoneyBee SandalWood Musk-produced by one of our "Sues"; sadly, she too has passed away :crying:). At this time, Honey Sue was the only artisan producing soaps, lotions, and other skincare items that matched her shave soaps which came in a variety of scents.

When I started this shaving journey(2006), most on the forum would warn newbies about the "devil's own combo"- the Merkur Slant + Feather blade; the Muhle R41 wasn't even a thought at that time. The most aggressive DE razor was either the Merkur VISION or FUTUR. I owned a VISION and soon bought a Merkur Slant just to see if I could handle the combo.

We were happy if we could get a Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger brush- easy to find in a brick & mortar and easier to use; it was the recommended brush for newbies. Of course, Simpson reigned supreme, along with Kent, Semogue, and the Omega Professional. You could still spend some coin at an Art of Shaving without feeling ripped off either. Synthetic brushes weren't on the map or anyone's radar.

Tabac, Arko, MWF were always talked about- just like now. We also had Saint Sue- who would go out of her way to satisfy any idea you had about shaving soap or other products she sold. Mama Sue had some of the best scents going around and an out-of-control sense of humor. Mama Sue and Saint Sue produced soaps for this forum just because of a suggestion-they were active members. I loved the stainless steel containers Saint Sue's soaps came in(and still do). The 3 T's were the high end ( TOBS, Truefitt & Hill, and Trumpers. DR Harris completed the high end of the soaps along with Castle Forbes.) Sir Irisch Moos and other tallow-based soaps were plentiful.

Razor blades were plentiful and there was never any talk about counterfeits. Wizamets, Gillette Swedes, Feather, and Israelis were the rage. Oh, how I wished I had stocked up on the Swedes and the Brown Wizamets!!! John (LetterK-former owner of westcoastshaving; another of our members) introduced the blade sample pack-yes he was the originator!!!! Everyone focused on Gillette razors mostly along with Merkur-if they weren't using straight razors.

I know this sounds like the old geezer wanting everybody to get off his lawn but it's not. We didn't have the variety we have today. You can go down so many different rabbit holes in the guise of "improving your shave/saving money"- and I have! Currently, we can spend as much as we want on stainless steel razors or titanium, brass, copper, and at any price range. Numerous artisans abound for our benefit and we can get soaps, creams, and croaps to our heart's content. We can still purchase many of the soaps available then ( I'm stocking up on MWF & DR Harris because you never know.)

It's just that that puck enclosed in a 1 cup pyrex container ( how we did it back then) took me down this train of thought. So what shave have you had that took you on a trip down memory lane?

Oh btw, my shave for this morning was HoneyBeeSoaps Sandalwood Musk; Gillette NEW LC with BRW handle; Feather loaded; Simpson's LE Chubby 2 Sovereign Fibre Ivory Stripe; Floid Blue A/S.

marty

I came here after I was booted from the Shave Den. It was deserved and I'm not complaining. :)

I started wet shaving in 1993 when my mom gave me her Gillette long handled blue razor when I went off to college. She told me that blades were cheaper than the Trac II carts I was using at the time. I enjoyed it and started picking up razors when I found them at flea markets and antique stores while I was looking for pipes and pocketknives. Internet access at the college was limited then, with only a few computers in the library and I had never heard of Ebay or anything like that. I graduated, got married and finally got home internet on a cheap computer (paying by the minute) and found the places that hobbyists could discuss their passions. Eventually, after the alt.pipes and pocketknife forums got boring, I found the shaving stuff.

My first internet order probably went through West Coast Shaving but I don't remember. Some blades (Dorco), a tub of Proraso Green and one of White and a tub of TOBS Avocado. I thought I was in heaven. I eventually met some folks and traded for some Mama Bear stuff and at that time, a big deal for us on that other forum was getting MEM shave cream shipped in from Israel and the different Arko creams and aftershaves. Like you said, artisan soaps were not a thing. I found some soaps from Ebay soapers back then- Celestial Sensations and cedarfurnitureman (or something like that) and even back then, it was basically bath soap molded into a circle and called a shave soap. I still have pucks of Celestial Sensations, my tub of Avocado (hard as a rock but still has the scent) and Dorco blades. I use all of them occasionally. Well, the Dorco blades not so much.

Great thread. Fun to go down memory lane. I wish I had found this place even earlier, but at that time (and still do) I like to visit one forum/group and participate, make connections, friends, etc. I find it's hard to do jumping from place to place. I still talk to one guy from the old forum at least twice a week. That's pretty impressive almost 20 years later.

I came here after I was booted from the Shave Den. It was deserved and I'm not complaining. :)

I started wet shaving in 1993 when my mom gave me her Gillette long handled blue razor when I went off to college. She told me that blades were cheaper than the Trac II carts I was using at the time. I enjoyed it and started picking up razors when I found them at flea markets and antique stores while I was looking for pipes and pocketknives. Internet access at the college was limited then, with only a few computers in the library and I had never heard of Ebay or anything like that. I graduated, got married and finally got home internet on a cheap computer (paying by the minute) and found the places that hobbyists could discuss their passions. Eventually, after the alt.pipes and pocketknife forums got boring, I found the shaving stuff.

My first internet order probably went through West Coast Shaving but I don't remember. Some blades (Dorco), a tub of Proraso Green and one of White and a tub of TOBS Avocado. I thought I was in heaven. I eventually met some folks and traded for some Mama Bear stuff and at that time, a big deal for us on that other forum was getting MEM shave cream shipped in from Israel and the different Arko creams and aftershaves. Like you said, artisan soaps were not a thing. I found some soaps from Ebay soapers back then- Celestial Sensations and cedarfurnitureman (or something like that) and even back then, it was basically bath soap molded into a circle and called a shave soap. I still have pucks of Celestial Sensations, my tub of Avocado (hard as a rock but still has the scent) and Dorco blades. I use all of them occasionally. Well, the Dorco blades not so much.

Great thread. Fun to go down memory lane. I wish I had found this place even earlier, but at that time (and still do) I like to visit one forum/group and participate, make connections, friends, etc. I find it's hard to do jumping from place to place. I still talk to one guy from the old forum at least twice a week. That's pretty impressive almost 20 years later.
What did you do to get booted?

What did you do to get booted?
There were 5 of us that got canned at the same time. We were all friends and spoke over emails and such every day. One guy was more vocal than the rest of us about how the forum owner's products were junk and her attitude was poor to say the least. Much different words were typed than I just wrote, though. 😉

We all felt the same and expressed it. That was the nail in the coffin so to speak. We had all pushed the boundaries long before that.

Not my most famous hour but no real regrets either. That would have been about 2 days before I joined here. Much better off since I found you guys. 👍

There were 5 of us that got canned at the same time. We were all friends and spoke over emails and such every day. One guy was more vocal than the rest of us about how the forum owner's products were junk and her attitude was poor to say the least. Much different words were typed than I just wrote, though. 😉

We all felt the same and expressed it. That was the nail in the coffin so to speak. We had all pushed the boundaries long before that.

Not my most famous hour but no real regrets either. That would have been about 2 days before I joined here. Much better off since I found you guys. 👍
Interestingly enough, the Shave Den was started by former members of B&B who were booted from here! :lol::lol::lol:

marty

Interestingly enough, the Shave Den was started by former members of B&B who were booted from here! :lol::lol::lol:

marty
No kidding? They hated this place and took every opportunity back then to talk bad about B&B and I never knew why. Now I know.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a Mama Bear's faux Old Spice puck in a mug and another still in the wrapper. My fave St Charles scent was Fairway. I have a brand new puck of Fairway soap and an unopened bottle of the splash in the closet downstairs. One of these years I'll probably donate them to the St Sue auction.

This morning during my shave, I thought about what else was happening in the shaving world because of the soap I was using (HoneyBee SandalWood Musk-produced by one of our "Sues"; sadly, she too has passed away :crying:). At this time, Honey Sue was the only artisan producing soaps, lotions, and other skincare items that matched her shave soaps which came in a variety of scents.

When I started this shaving journey(2006), most on the forum would warn newbies about the "devil's own combo"- the Merkur Slant + Feather blade; the Muhle R41 wasn't even a thought at that time. The most aggressive DE razor was either the Merkur VISION or FUTUR. I owned a VISION and soon bought a Merkur Slant just to see if I could handle the combo.

We were happy if we could get a Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger brush- easy to find in a brick & mortar and easier to use; it was the recommended brush for newbies. Of course, Simpson reigned supreme, along with Kent, Semogue, and the Omega Professional. You could still spend some coin at an Art of Shaving without feeling ripped off either. Synthetic brushes weren't on the map or anyone's radar.

Tabac, Arko, MWF were always talked about- just like now. We also had Saint Sue- who would go out of her way to satisfy any idea you had about shaving soap or other products she sold. Mama Sue had some of the best scents going around and an out-of-control sense of humor. Mama Sue and Saint Sue produced soaps for this forum just because of a suggestion-they were active members. I loved the stainless steel containers Saint Sue's soaps came in(and still do). The 3 T's were the high end ( TOBS, Truefitt & Hill, and Trumpers. DR Harris completed the high end of the soaps along with Castle Forbes.) Sir Irisch Moos and other tallow-based soaps were plentiful.

Razor blades were plentiful and there was never any talk about counterfeits. Wizamets, Gillette Swedes, Feather, and Israelis were the rage. Oh, how I wished I had stocked up on the Swedes and the Brown Wizamets!!! John (LetterK-former owner of westcoastshaving; another of our members) introduced the blade sample pack-yes he was the originator!!!! Everyone focused on Gillette razors mostly along with Merkur-if they weren't using straight razors.

I know this sounds like the old geezer wanting everybody to get off his lawn but it's not. We didn't have the variety we have today. You can go down so many different rabbit holes in the guise of "improving your shave/saving money"- and I have! Currently, we can spend as much as we want on stainless steel razors or titanium, brass, copper, and at any price range. Numerous artisans abound for our benefit and we can get soaps, creams, and croaps to our heart's content. We can still purchase many of the soaps available then ( I'm stocking up on MWF & DR Harris because you never know.)

It's just that that puck enclosed in a 1 cup pyrex container ( how we did it back then) took me down this train of thought. So what shave have you had that took you on a trip down memory lane?

Oh btw, my shave for this morning was HoneyBeeSoaps Sandalwood Musk; Gillette NEW LC with BRW handle; Feather loaded; Simpson's LE Chubby 2 Sovereign Fibre Ivory Stripe; Floid Blue A/S.

marty

I started right around the same time and you are dead on.

marty
Hi Htownmmm, Great post! If you havn't seen it you may be interested in this thread with lots of fellow B&Ber responses that go back roughly 15 years to the same time you just posted about.

When I started in 1973, shaving was not a hobby. We shaved because our jobs or schools or civilized society demanded it. Only hippies and cranks had beards.

Shaving was Gillette or Schick. No one had more than one razor. It was one pass, WTG. Canned foam was the rule, finished with Old Spice or Skin Bracer. From start to finish it took 5 minutes tops.

In the middle of that decade Wilkinson brought out the Bonded razor and a lot of guys switched. By the end of the decade Gillette introduced carts, Bic brought out the disposable, and those wonderful DE’s and injectors ended up in the back of the drawer

And thus began the Dark Age.

Fascinating thread from a newcomer to the wet shaving world. Lots of history and memories from many of you and it's really interesting.
I'm old enough to remember when so-called "wet shaving" was just ... shaving. It's what my dad did and his dad and his dad before him. It wasn't a "hobby", it's just what they did in the morning before going to work. While there were a couple of razor companies and blade manufacturers and probably a handful of shaving soap makers, all of those items were just tools to get a job done and the job was to get rid of whiskers, plain and simple.
I'm retired now, so I have the time to luxuriate and experiment and fiddle around with different razor/blade combos and I'll eventually branch out into trying more soaps and after shave products. And this is not in any way a criticism of the "hobby" of wet shaving. I think it's fun and interesting and my wife rolls her eyes at all the things I've bought and all the shaving videos I've watched the last couple of months. But the bottom line is that these tools which have been around for over a century in one form or another are still the best option for getting a job done.

I have a bottle of SCS New Spice splash. Intense stuff!

I do miss that site. I enjoyed their stuff.

Also, I had a ton of MB soaps. I threw a lot of it away when I saw how crazy my den was getting. That was about 15 years ago.

I took about ten years off and got back into all of this in 2020. I’ve got a more modest collection now.

Top Bottom