What's new

Cigar Box Codes

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Dear Cigars Smokers / Cigaraficionados:
First...Happy Holidays.🎄

You know...through all my years of smoking cigars...I have always wanted to know why non-Cuban cigars come without final production dates (i.e., Box Codes), on their boxes?
proxy.php

This is probably why I favor Cubans, because there are Box Codes (applied during the 'boxing' process),...you know how mature/age of the cigars you just purchased.
proxy.php

Now, with non-Cubans (correct me if I'm wrong), you have to 'trust' (banding / marketing et.al), the maker as to the maturity / age of their
tobacco / blends.
attachment.php

Lets Discuss. ;)

proxy.php
“He [observed the box code on his cohibas], lit his cigar and sat back at peace with the world;…”. Evelyn Waugh

Last edited:
I believe Padron was the first to do this back in the eighties. I think around then they also stopped printing with English on the box as well. I always assumed non Cuban manufacturers didn’t use box codes because of the larger production quantities and the shorten time to market

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hmmm...I should also guess the 'cost' involved not to mention if all the non-cuban brands would 'get together' to approve of
one (I would think along the lines of the Cuban as a starting point), system.
attachment.php

cigar-jpg.849848
"My tastes are simple: [In regards to box codes] I am easily satisfied with the [very] best". Sir Winston S. Churchill

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hmmm...I should also guess the 'cost' involved not to mention if all the non-cuban brands would 'get together' to approve of
one (I would think along the lines of the Cuban as a starting point), system.
attachment.php

cigar-jpg.849848
"My tastes are simple: [In regards to box codes] I am easily satisfied with the [very] best". Sir Winston S. Churchill
Pipe tobacco dating codes are all over the map.
You need a guide to figure it out.

Top Bottom