What's new

Lupo vs Wolfman, head to head

lasta

Blade Biter
I agree with your “confirmation bias” statement and that the OP is a good review. It is natural to feel the need to continue to justify indulgences that simply didn't deliver for the price, or convince yourself that what you bought for less instead is just as good. I’m a bang for the buck, function over form guy. This may get a bunch of blade banks thrown at me too, but if there isn’t much difference between the shave of $65 razor (Lupo) and a $500 razor (Wolfman) and the only thing my extra $435 buys is sparkle factor instead of exponentially increased performance, I’m a Lupo + 12 vintage Gillettes for the same cash guy. If you can easily afford or justify a Wolfman, I applaud you and I’m genuinely happy to see this level of craftsmanship and precision supported in the market. They are truly beautiful works of art, just completely out of my meager budget for a single razor. If I were in a higher (much) income bracket ownership would be tempting.

I don't have a Wolfman, so no right to judge. Hence the confirmation bias, and my disproportionately large blade bank!

Image_20221214003022.jpg

But don't worry, I won't throw it at you! I'm a Game Changer + vintage guy myself:c11:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a few of the second tier modern razors... in the $100 to $200 range and I like them a lot... For me, they are a step up from my Vintage Gillettes. Confirmation bias? It's always a factor but what isn't subjective is how long a shave lasts. I get 10 to 12 hour from them... but most often, in the 12 hour range. I get 10 hours from my Claymore Evolution... and around 8 hours from the Vintage Gillettes I've tried.. which is really only one: the England Flat Bottom Tech. I need to get back to my other Vintage Gillettes to see how long those shaves will last. I have 4 other Gillettes in my razor queue.

Another huge factor for me is how smooth and comfortable the shave is. My top 4 razors are all smooth and comfortable with the blades I've tried so far. I started with the Claymore Evolution back in the middle of February this year. I still love that razor and compare every other razor I use to it because I used it for 5 months straight. It is my baseline, if you will.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Have you tried the EFBT with the Crown Handle yet, @Phoenixkh? That might be a game changer. I use my beloved Lasta handles mostly and actually used the stock handle over the weekend - easily past 8 hours on Saturday.

Guido
I have used the Ti Crown handle with the EFBT and found the balance off for me. I think I need a thicker handle with close to the 26g of the Fat Gillette handle. I did weigh the faux tortoise handle that came with the R41 and it's only 2 grams lighter than the Gillette Fat handle but it's just a hair thicker and a bit longer so I'm going to try it next.

I still think one of Doug's handles is the way to go but he hasn't been making any lately, I don't think. Doug, do you have a time frame next year when you think you'll be running your lathe?

I don't have a Wolfman, so no right to judge. Hence the confirmation bias, and my disproportionately large blade bank!

View attachment 1571511
But don't worry, I won't throw it at you! I'm a Game Changer + vintage guy myself:c11:
Same here- 84 GC is the first and only modern Ive tried in my 6 months wet shaving, but I’ve outgrown its effectiveness, and based on all the rave reviews I’ll try a Lupo 95OC after the holidays if Santa doesn’t surprise me first. Blade bank or blade bomb? 😂😂😂 That’s impressive!

I have a few of the second tier modern razors... in the $100 to $200 range and I like them a lot... For me, they are a step up from my Vintage Gillettes. Confirmation bias? It's always a factor but what isn't subjective is how long a shave lasts. I get 10 to 12 hour from them... but most often, in the 12 hour range. I get 10 hours from my Claymore Evolution... and around 8 hours from the Vintage Gillettes I've tried.. which is really only one: the England Flat Bottom Tech. I need to get back to my other Vintage Gillettes to see how long those shaves will last. I have 4 other Gillettes in my razor queue.

Another huge factor for me is how smooth and comfortable the shave is. My top 4 razors are all smooth and comfortable with the blades I've tried so far. I started with the Claymore Evolution back in the middle of February this year. I still love that razor and compare every other razor I use to it because I used it for 5 months straight. It is my baseline, if you will.
I only own a GC84, many Gillette DE’s, 1 Krona, some Gems and some Schicks, half of them my Grandfathers, Dads and father in laws. The only Gillettes that I regularly use for “close” are an old type Tech and the adjustables as high as 7. Those work great. All the others I have seem too mild now. The mildest shave I want from vintage Gillettes is the Red Tip, and I call that my recovery razor…. I’ll spread my wings as I work thru these and as hobby budget allows.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Thanks for doing this, it was interesting to read.

I couldn't base a buying decision on one 4 shave test with "not my face" and "not my technique." You described things I never experience, but I still found it a great read.

I'm glad I'm not shopping for a new razor. Deciding on the brand is only the beginning of your decisions. The Wolfman. 1 or 2? Open comb or closed? the 95 or the 115 or the 135? Buy $5,000 worth of razors and sell all but the one you found best? No thanks, and good luck.

But if you spend a chunk of money I promise to be delighted at the opportunity to read about it.

I’ve had the Lupo aluminum and then the first DC stainless model. Used the DC regularly for a while. Bought a .95 SB and later a .95 OC and the OC was the winner out of the Lupo plates for me.

Recently got a WR1 .86/.94 OC DC Wolfman so it’s in the range of the Lupo .95. I may do a head to head matchup between the two, using the same handles and same blades to make it precise as possible. Stay tuned.

Recently got a WR1 .86/.94 OC DC Wolfman so it’s in the range of the Lupo .95. I may do a head to head matchup between the two, using the same handles and same blades to make it precise as possible. Stay tuned.
Oh yes, please do it!

I'd really love to read your thoughts and impressions on this side by side shaves ( both a WR1 .86 OC vs .95 OC Lupo comparison and a WR1 .94 OC vs .95 OC Lupo comparison would be of highest interest for me) 😀

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this, it was interesting to read.

I couldn't base a buying decision on one 4 shave test with "not my face" and "not my technique." You described things I never experience, but I still found it a great read.

I'm glad I'm not shopping for a new razor. Deciding on the brand is only the beginning of your decisions. The Wolfman. 1 or 2? Open comb or closed? the 95 or the 115 or the 135? Buy $5,000 worth of razors and sell all but the one you found best? No thanks, and good luck.

But if you spend a chunk of money I promise to be delighted at the opportunity to read about it.
Haha yep buy and sell, try and sell.

Has anyone compared the Stainless Lupo .58 or .72 to the Aluminum Lupo (I think it is .68)? I understand is a bit of apples and oranges, due to the weight difference. I am interested in both the shave experience and efficiency, from another wet shaver.
I have the .58, .72 and Lupo Aluminum. I really enjoy them all. The .72 shaves a little too close for my skin and so I don’t use it often. The .58 feels milder but requires a few more passes to get a clean shave. I am hoping they come out with an open comb version of the .58 - which I think would be perfect for me. The Lupo A has a unique feeling that may be attributable to the aluminum it’s made from. I use it with a heavier stainless steel handle. It feels very safe to use and also provides a great shave. I feel the light weight aluminum head doesn’t ‘bounce’ on my skin when first touching my face compared to heavier heads. The Lupo A and .58 feel similar but are different enough that I like switching between the two. The .58 seems to have a bit more blade feel than Lupo A. All of the Lupos are the best razors I’ve tried for around the nostrils. They get every bit of stubble under my nose. None of my other razors can do this as perfectly.

I also rotate in the Game Changer .68OC and Tatara Masamune. All of these razors are great mild and efficient shavers.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I kept my Lupo Aluminum because it was the first DE razor I've had.... given to me by our youngest son on a whim. I had a bad shave with it and only used it once. Then, as I've said, I was off to the races... starting with a few soaps, a lot of brushes, and finally... a lot of razors.

I do need try that Aluminum Lupo now, with a heavier handle... either SS or Titanium... and see if it is nice now that I know a little bit more than I did then.

Just wondering... did you get it started @Shave Souffle - or do you intend to do it?
I’d probably want to do 2 shaves with each comparison but switching sides on the second shave with the opposite razor, in case one side of my face is favored in some way. First day would be Wolfman on my left side, second shave, Wolfman will be on my right. Will be interesting for sure. Can’t wait!!!

I’d probably want to do 2 shaves with each comparison but switching sides on the second shave with the opposite razor, in case one side of my face is favored in some way. First day would be Wolfman on my left side, second shave, Wolfman will be on my right. Will be interesting for sure. Can’t wait!!!
Thank you. No hurry pls.
Just take your time and do as much shaves as you like to... 😀👍
Thanks in advance for sharing your impressions..

Started this today.

986C89FC-85D2-47E4-BA65-FAD6ABD947CC.jpeg

Wolfman on the left and Lupo on the right. Installed 2 new Lab Blues blades, bought 2 matching Super Knurl handles. Let’s get on with the shave.

First used the PAA Cube Menthol 2.0 pure shave soap. Then lathered that in with my also new Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog boar brush (first time using boar brush since the end of December, I miss it so much) which I’ll be using for the remainder of this experiment. Lovely scrub and there is nothing like that feel of a boar I can never get badger or synths. Then I lathered in Stirling Obsidian Glacial soap. On to the shave….

Started the Lupo on my left side and initially I didn’t remember which one I started with. Half way through I realized it was the Lupo and not the Wolfman. The way I pictured the razors above and the post from yesterday I mentioned the Wolfman on left and Lupo on right so that was my initial intention but swapped it unintentionally somehow. Everything was smooth and efficient and no drama.

On the right side the Wolfman WR1 .94 side was also super smooth and the differences weren’t as noticeable as I was expecting. Got a decent sized weeper on my neck but probably due to the brand new blade as I’m known for using the same blade forever. It’s a very rare event I ever use a new blade. Also it took a bit of discipline not to flip sides of the razor on the WR1 that I was able to do with the Lupo but that’s only because both sides of the Lupo are.95 where the WR1 is .94 on one side and.86 on the other and this shave and the next will be the WR1 .94 side only.

After the shave used alum block on the weeper and Duke Cannon after shave balm.

Post Shave feel is similar the edge slightly to the Lupo. Rubbing my face with the grain the left side is BBS, while the right side of the WR1 is DFS+. Rubbing against the grain the left Lupo side makes less noise than the WR1 side feeling the stubble.

Last edited:
Top Bottom