What's new

Daily pipe transportion

Hey all,
I've gotten to the point where I'd like to enjoy a pipe on occasion while on a lunch break at work. What's the best/safest/most convenient way to transport said pipe and tobacco to and from work? Thanks in advance!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I use a leather pouch, and a Morgan Pipes flapjack. You can use ziplock bags for the tobacco if you go through it fast too.

Last edited:
I re-discovered the joys of having a pipe pouch when I was on exile in Birmingham in 2021. Mine, bought from The Briary in suburban B'ham, is a sturdy pebble-grain leather, with a compartment for the average-length pipe and even a slot for pipe cleaners. Be sure to have a lighter, and keep it ready to go. If you have to smoke outdoors -- and who doesn't at work? -- matches won't stay lit.

Pipe pouch is the purpose-built solution, but I've taken to leaving a couple pipes at work and toting a few bowls of tobacco in a smokingpipes "pocket jar". May not be an option for everyone, but I like having less bulk to carry around - plus, the pipes on my desk are a good conversation starter.

Pipe pouch is the purpose-built solution, but I've taken to leaving a couple pipes at work and toting a few bowls of tobacco in a smokingpipes "pocket jar". May not be an option for everyone, but I like having less bulk to carry around - plus, the pipes on my desk are a good conversation starter.

Old school class act sir!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I use one of these.

Looks like they’re out of stock right now. My only complaint is that while a a tin of tobacco will fit in the middle pocket it very tight. I use small Mylar bags and carry 3-4 bowls worth of different blends with me instead of a tin. It will hold 2 straight pipes but again it’s a tight fit. I usually just carry one with me.

Thanks gentlemen. I like the idea of leaving one at work and the idea of using a purpose built pouch. Even though I only have 1 pipe now I can see a time where I'll have enough to rotate home pipes and work pipes using a pouch as the means of transportation.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks gentlemen. I like the idea of leaving one at work and the idea of using a purpose built pouch. Even though I only have 1 pipe now I can see a time where I'll have enough to rotate home pipes and work pipes using a pouch as the means of transportation.
If it's not a frequent carry type thing, and you intend to leave one at work for some period of time between rotations - you can just use the pipe bag that most sellers ship their pipes in.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

That was the old time executive way: a pipe rack or desktop humidor at the office, and another complete setup back home.

And they would rotate pipes back and forth on the trains ... puffing all the way. Ahhh, those were the days!

Otherwise, as has been mentioned, a pipe pouch or bag is the usual way to bring it with you.

Here's my office setup. I bring tobacco daily in a pocket tin, and the pipes rotate out periodically...

20221213_081717.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here's my office setup. I bring tobacco daily in a pocket tin, and the pipes rotate out periodically...

View attachment 1571401

Nice pipes, Price.

You can have tobacco products on base? The last time I was on a Naval base was when step-daughter was stationed at Pensacola in the '90s. The entire base had been declared "Smoke Free" and even visitors were not supposed to smoke, even when driving through. I would have been court martialed.

I'm from the era where it was "At Ease! Smoke if ya got 'em." and the courts gave some convicted criminals the choice of going to jail or joining the Army. There were two or three cigs. in a can of C-rats.

Nice pipes, Price.

You can have tobacco products on base? The last time I was on a Naval base was when step-daughter was stationed at Pensacola in the '90s. The entire base had been declared "Smoke Free" and even visitors were not supposed to smoke, even when driving through. I would have been court martialed.

I'm from the era where it was "At Ease! Smoke if ya got 'em." and the courts gave some convicted criminals the choice of going to jail or joining the Army. There were two or three cigs. in a can of C-rats.
Designated smoking areas. All outdoors, of course.

There are a couple Navy facilities in Pensacola, one of which - Corry Station - is where they teach all the cryptographic and classified schools, so they have different procedures - the base is actually located inside a prison compound. Maybe that's where she was.

@Price that is total office goals! Love the pipes and the leather pads they are sitting on. Thanks for all of the responses and ideas gents. Looking for a pipe roll/pouch now. Will update when I get one.

6 or so years ago I picked up a good leather shave bag with 2 pockets.
The leather has totally absorbed the smell of various pipe tobaccos.
I think I picked it up at a Saks 5th Ave outlet store.
Two pockets and a leather carry handle

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Designated smoking areas. All outdoors, of course.

There are a couple Navy facilities in Pensacola, one of which - Corry Station - is where they teach all the cryptographic and classified schools, so they have different procedures - the base is actually located inside a prison compound. Maybe that's where she was.

Her and her hubby-to-be were at the one that has the Blue Angels statue. I heard it was the commander of the base that hated tobacco and totally banned it on base.

Her and her hubby-to-be were at the one that has the Blue Angels statue. I heard it was the commander of the base that hated tobacco and totally banned it on base.
That would be Naval Air Station Pensacola. I can confirm through personal experience that policy is long gone.

My wife got me one of these for Father’s Day a few years back. I like it and works well for smaller pipes.

Saw this and bought one, and it works perfectly for me.

I can fit nearly every one of my pipes - except a couple of the largest - along with a spare lighter, tamper, a few extra balsa filters, a couple of folded pipe cleaners, and more tobacco than I care to smoke in a day...and it is made of surprisingly nice leather for the price.

Very happy with it.

Top Bottom