What's new

Boar Brush Pass Around! Want to try some boar brushes?

Round 4

Contenders:

IMG_20221121_211916787_HDR.jpg

Left: Mondial Antica Barberia, 26 / 60
Center: Omega Proraso Pro, 28 / 65
Right: Semogue Torga C5, 24 / 50

Handles:
All these handles fit their brushes well. Before this pass-around, I didn't think these larger handles on the Mondial and Omega would be comfortable. They're pretty nice for knots these tall, and comfortable. The Semogue is also well suited to its knot, but I think I'd prefer a slightly more narrow handle. That's really nitpicky though, and it's not a deal breaker.

Lather:
They all create lather! The Omega was far and above the lather king. Fastest to load, fastest to lather.

Face Feel:
The Omega is noticeably less dense than the others. The bristles feel less fine, but it is not uncomfortably so. Just a different feel.
The next finest would be the Mondial. It felt the floppiest of the three, but it was still nice, especially on the initial lathering.
The Semogue had the finest-feeling bristles. It's a dense, short knot, and it felt like a sports car compared to the other two.
I am trying to be critical, but I cannot decide which had the better face feel. The Mondail came in strong, but the Semogue stepped up and met it stroke for stroke. If I absolutely had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the Mondial, but that is based solely on the fact that I have heard much less of that brand than the others, and it should have more representation.

Final Thoughts:
This was the closest round yet. I still prefer the B33, but these other brushes have given me much to ponder for my next boar brush.

I mean, I don't need another boar brush! Shhhhh!

Winner:
Omega Proraso Pro I guess. It didn't feel the best, but it is the lather king.

My Proraso is so broken in that it is as soft as my badger - maybe even softer. Or lathers pretty nicely too, although I have soaps that it has an appetite for which means my lather starts to diminish during the second pass.

Overall a great brush for its value.

Excellent project David! Not in CONUS so can’t participate, but can enjoy the reviews!!

Guido

I would not have known that a larger knot diameter doesn't necessarily mean a more densely packed knot. Nor would I have known that a more densely packed knot does not necessarily mean a better shaving experience.

This pass-around was pretty great. Who's next?!

Round 4

Contenders:

View attachment 1560645

Left: Mondial Antica Barberia, 26 / 60
Center: Omega Proraso Pro, 28 / 65
Right: Semogue Torga C5, 24 / 50

Handles:
All these handles fit their brushes well. Before this pass-around, I didn't think these larger handles on the Mondial and Omega would be comfortable. They're pretty nice for knots these tall, and comfortable. The Semogue is also well suited to its knot, but I think I'd prefer a slightly more narrow handle. That's really nitpicky though, and it's not a deal breaker.

Lather:
They all create lather! The Omega was far and above the lather king. Fastest to load, fastest to lather.

Face Feel:
The Omega is noticeably less dense than the others. The bristles feel less fine, but it is not uncomfortably so. Just a different feel.
The next finest would be the Mondial. It felt the floppiest of the three, but it was still nice, especially on the initial lathering.
The Semogue had the finest-feeling bristles. It's a dense, short knot, and it felt like a sports car compared to the other two.
I am trying to be critical, but I cannot decide which had the better face feel. The Mondail came in strong, but the Semogue stepped up and met it stroke for stroke. If I absolutely had to choose one over the other, I'd go with the Mondial, but that is based solely on the fact that I have heard much less of that brand than the others, and it should have more representation.

Final Thoughts:
This was the closest round yet. I still prefer the B33, but these other brushes have given me much to ponder for my next boar brush.

I mean, I don't need another boar brush! Shhhhh!

Winner:
I've really been enjoying your writeups!! Your narrative comparisons are awesome and super informative.

I've really been enjoying your writeups!! Your narrative comparisons are awesome and super informative.
Thanks!

I went in with exactly one boar brush for comparison. I tried to use language that makes sense for what I already know, and what I can observe with each brush.

This was fun!

Thanks for the great reviews, Jake. I really enjoy how you compare the brushes to each other. Can't wait to see what combination of brushes you have up next!

Proraso Pro is a 57mm loft. If your brush is 65mm, it is Omega 10083.
That’s interesting, thank you for the comment. I double checked and it is the Proraso Pro. I purchased it new & it was in the Proraso box. Several sites list the brush as a 65mm loft but there is at least one site that lists it as a 57mm loft. I don’t know why the discrepancy.

That’s interesting, thank you for the comment. I double checked and it is the Proraso Pro. I purchased it new & it was in the Proraso box. Several sites list the brush as a 65mm loft but there is at least one site that lists it as a 57mm loft. I don’t know why the discrepancy.

Omega doesn't publish loft sizes. What sites say is wrong for some brushes, since often when one site gives a wrong measurement, others will copy the info. I am talking from experience. Have had a few Proraso Professional brushes during the years. Even now I have 2 boxed ones. Usually there is a minimal variation between batches. Some were 56 and if I remember correctly one was even 58. The only thing that is different with the 10083 is it has 65mm, and 10048 is the same handle but with 70mm.

Omega doesn't publish loft sizes. What sites say is wrong for some brushes, since often when one site gives a wrong measurement, others will copy the info. I am talking from experience. Have had a few Proraso Professional brushes during the years. Even now I have 2 boxed ones. Usually there is a minimal variation between batches. Some were 56 and if I remember correctly one was even 58. The only thing that is different with the 10083 is it has 65mm, and 10048 is the same handle but with 70mm.
It's frustrating when they don't publish the loft. I looked at multiple sites to get the lofts of the different brushes for the pass around. I just measured my Pro Pro that's still in the box, (I have multiples, one still in the box), & that one is a 57mm loft. I'll measure the one used in the pass around when the box delivers beginning of the week. I'll adjust the loft on the pass around document if I need to after I measure the brushes. I'm going to measure the loft of all the brushes to confirm before the next pass around. Thanks, @ivan_101 for bringing this to my attention!

I felt compelled to mention I purchased a B33 new for DecemBOAR because of this thread and learned more about the equally new Jade and SOC I also had purchased. Thank you @dmshaver and @Dnallehekaj!!! It was a short pass round, but a fantastic one.

I felt compelled to mention I purchased a B33 new for DecemBOAR because of this thread and learned more about the equally new Jade and SOC I also had purchased. Thank you @dmshaver and @Dnallehekaj!!! It was a short pass round, but a fantastic one.
Heck yes! Great brushes all, but that copper-handled beauty really does it for me.

I hope you enjoy your new pigsty!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not in on this pass-a-'bout but I'm very happy to see it.

Most of these are brushes I own and like very much. Those of you who are getting to use these boars are in for a treat.

I'm a big fan of the unbleached Zeniths and of the Jade Omega. Not saying others aren't great too.

Thanks for doing this, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

List updated, @Czech Czar moved to #4 spot per his request. Brushes shipped & on their way to @ewk.

1. Eben Stone, California - Completed
2. dnallehekaj, California - Completed
3. ewk, South Carolina
4. CzechCzar, California

I'm not in on this pass-a-'bout but I'm very happy to see it.

Most of these are brushes I own and like very much. Those of you who are getting to use these boars are in for a treat.

I'm a big fan of the unbleached Zeniths and of the Jade Omega. Not saying others aren't great too.

Thanks for doing this, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for your input, Jim. And thank you for being a resource to me & many others helping us get started appreciating the wonderful world of boar. I hope more gentlemen sign up for this pass around.

Top Bottom