What's new

This holiday season...

Great suggestion. Pets are great companions and the ones from shelters are the BEST!

We already have two cats in my house, both from shelters, so we're really at our limit.

😻😻

My daughter volunteers at ours. We got this little guy at 7 days old when they needed someone to bottle feed him every few hours. We lost our best dog a few months earlier and I was dead set on not getting another one. I lost the fight. 20220326_175333.jpg

That was 7 months ago.

20221004_162849.jpg

Hey @CANES we adopted a senior dog and lost him after 6 years. After 1 year of no more pets we adopted a 1 yr old rescue basset. We lost Bella last Christmas, she was 12. So we have been adamant about no more pets. Well my daughter who also volunteers at a shelter just adopted a 7 month old. We meet him next week.

And so it goes.

By the way Go Canes class of ‘79

Hey @CANES we adopted a senior dog and lost him after 6 years. After 1 year of no more pets we adopted a 1 yr old rescue basset. We lost Bella last Christmas, she was 12. So we have been adamant about no more pets. Well my daughter who also volunteers at a shelter just adopted a 7 month old. We meet him next week.

And so it goes.

By the way Go Canes class of ‘79
Sounds like we have a lot in common, my friend. All but one of my dogs over the years have been rescues. When my Father-in-law was alive, he owned a hunting plantation and bred Labradors. Top of the line dogs. He gave us one as a gift one year- the runt of the litter and missing a tail. All the paperwork and pedigrees you could ask for. Absolutely the worst dog I've ever had in my life. It's always been adoption after that.

This little guy above, Diesel, is going to turn out Ok, I think. Our last dog, Honey, was a couple of years old when we got her- and had all of that "puppy" out of her by then. Best dog I've ever had. This guy is non-stop all day long. He's very smart and knows numerous commands already- but is stubborn and only pays attention when it benefits him. I'm sure it'll all fall into place sooner or later. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All my best dog friends have been rescues. I know this sounds stupid, but I think they actually appreciate the fact that they were chosen? I always had Dachshund or Dachshund mixes, but I made the mistake of watching a Hallmark movie that featured Corgis and I am obsessed with getting one. But I want a girl. Boy dogs are just as dumb as I am!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Awesome message Eric!
We just took in two cats from our local shelter in the last 2 months!
Our first cats (we have a dog) and they all get along great!
That is awesome. My two cats are something else. Boy is 6, Girl is 5. Found them both as babies, less than a week old. Bottle fed them. I'm sure they saved my life as much as I did theirs, the brats.

My wife and I had lovebirds and cockatiels years ago. That crazy peach-faced lovebird hated everyone but me. The cockatiels were messy, but fun for us all. After Ida last year, our daughter, husband and 2 cats got flooded and lived with us for 3 months. Their crazy cats liked her. Me? Not so much. We're getting too old for a dog, but I keep looking at local cat adoptions on-line. My wife isn't interested. For cat fans, there's a show from Ireland on acorn or britbox called Cat Hospital which is great.

Top Bottom