What's new

Increased lighting and security

Been having issues in the back yard at night. Going on intermittently for several weeks now. Nothing definitive yet, haven't been able to catch anyone so far. Whispers, hushed conversations, sounded like someone tried to climb on the porch one night, porch screen door sliced open.

Added security lights last week. They tripped just after midnight but by the time I got up and out, nothing to see.

Added another security camera this morning. This one has a commanding view of the back yard and shrubs. Time will tell.

Installation was a pia. Hanging out the second floor window to install. Took about 20 - 30 minutes, mostly because the wood trim was super hard. Had to re-drill the mounting holes with a bigger bit. Things went smoothly after that. Another 10 minutes of camera setup and then cleanup.

Good for you.
I put up 5 cameras, two motion sensor lights and 3 large lights on the front of my house. At night you can see my place from a block away and the cameras stand out proud.
My camera system is tied to a recorder in my house and notifies me if something is wrong on my phone. All hardwired so it took me a weekend to get up and running.

Now nobody approaches my home at night. And the neighbours have started putting up cameras too. I have the Lorex system so I don't pay a monthly fee.

I have cameras in my backyard, front yard and garage, and an alarm system. But best of all, I have elderly neighbours who say to me “I notice you are going to work on average 15 minutes later than normal”. Kinda creepy but also kinda nice having what amounts to a personal security squad guarding my place.

But best of all, I have elderly neighbours who say to me “I notice you are going to work on average 15 minutes later than normal”.
I guess we qualify as elderly. My wife is one of those, as she doesn't sleep much. She's not Gladys Kravitz (Bewitched) crazy, and doesn't mention it to anyone but me, but no matter where we live, she knows the vehicles, recognizes the neighbors and their comings and goings. I'm just the opposite. I could care less.

In our house of 19 years that we sold in late 2020, I considered but didn't install outside sensors because of the deer. You wouldn't think there'd be so many deer at night in an area with houses on 1/4 acre lots. We're now in an apartment that's well lit and peaceful and don't feel a need. I have several handguns, 380, 45, 22, but keep them stored and unloaded. Our daughter moved to NC with her boyfriend almost 3 years ago, and they have a SW 9mm EZ, and assault rifle. Things aren't as peaceful down there. We never expected our eldest to have, need or be able to use one. I've also suggested motion sensors/lights.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
We have cameras covering every approach and entrance to our house as well as the yard. No motion light because I hate them and the cameras have night-vision so they’re really not needed. We also have a large hyper-alert dog that I swear can hear a raccoon walking on the far side of our 3 acre property.

Some of my wife’s family think it’s overkill and we haven’t personally had any issues but my wife is a surgeon and some of her colleagues have had patients family members show up at their house when the pt didn’t do well during or after a surgery. I also had a career in EMS and have seen firsthand the random acts of violence that we humans are capable of.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The wife and I was just looking at camera kits today at Costco and Sam’s Club.

They have become so cost efficient now, there’s no reason not to have them. The cameras and the phone app, allows everything outside to be seen inside.

Since we live in a gated retirement community of condominiums, outside cameras don’t seem necessary right now. Since the condominiums are attached, our neighbors have cameras in their front driveway which angles across my small yard in the front and our backyard patio.

Inside, we have wireless security alarm contacts on all windows and doors, motion detectors in the living room, Master bedroom and garage and a glass break sensor at the back patio door. We also have a wireless doorbell camera that covers the front porch and most of the small front yard.

We got ADT equipment installed for free and a 3 year monitoring contract for $70 a month when we purchased this retirement home 3 years ago. That contract just expired and we re-negotiated a 1 Year monitoring only no contract for $14.99 just today. :)

The wife and I was just looking at camera kits today at Costco and Sam’s Club.

They have become so cost efficient now, there’s no reason not to have them. The cameras and the phone app, allows everything outside to be seen inside.

Since we live in a gated retirement community of condominiums, outside cameras don’t seem necessary right now. Since the condominiums are attached, our neighbors have cameras in their front driveway which angles across my small yard in the front and our backyard patio.

Inside, we have wireless security alarm contacts on all windows and doors, motion detectors in the living room, Master bedroom and garage and a glass break sensor at the back patio door. We also have a wireless doorbell camera that covers the front porch and most of the small front yard.

We got ADT equipment installed for free and a 3 year monitoring contract for $70 a month when we purchased this retirement home 3 years ago. That contract just expired and we re-negotiated a 1 Year monitoring only no contract for $14.99 just today. :)

Nice deal!

The individuals have been apprehended and dealt with. Can't share more details than that.
95F901CD-D822-45F0-B75F-FAD8C56DB1A2.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Dogs, the best 24/7 rechargeable, wireless security systems available. Cleanup can be difficult and boots (mine only 🤬) might go missing randomly. Best of luck OP, likely some kids who found the perfect hideaway 🤞.
nah, they sleep deeper than we do....we have three little dogs and they all sleep on the bedroom with is. I am the lightest sleeper and wake up constantly to any noise I hear - mostly I hear the snoring of one human and three dogs.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
nah, they sleep deeper than we do....we have three little dogs and they all sleep on the bedroom with is. I am the lightest sleeper and wake up constantly to any noise I hear - mostly I hear the snoring of one human and three dogs.
I’ll trade you for my dog, I swear he can hear a squirrel running through the back yard with the TV on, kids screaming, and the dishwasher running. He barks and growls so much I’ve tuned it out. The one time a family member walked into the house unannounced (we were expecting them) his bark and growl changed pitch. If I hadn’t been there I have no doubt my BIL would have had a 70lb mutt latched into him.

Reactions: ctr
Top Bottom