What's new

New Rooney "Specials" Just In - New Colors - Pure & Super

As you may know, we have had a special line of brushes created for Vintage Blades by R.A. Rooney for our safety razor and straight razor sets. We call these our Rooney "Specials". These brushes are Rooney Style 3 Size 1 (Small) brushes that are different from normal production brushes only in the color of their handles.

This line has now been expanded into several new colors and is now available in both a high grade of Pure Badger and in Rooney's popular Super Silvertip. The handles are lathe turned, hand polished, and the brushes completely handmade in the United Kingdom.

Added to our faux Ivory and faux Ebony, the new colors include a faux Tortoise Shell (which is almost an exact match to the Dovo straight razor scales), an imitation pearl or "Perlex" (which is an exact match to the Dovo Perlex straight razor scales), and our special "Coral" handle that we are pairing with the Dovo Red Bismarck straight razors.

The badger hair used in these Pure Badger brushes is of a much higher quality than that found in the typical "starter brush". The bristles are resilient without being overly stiff. The tips are somewhat scratchy out of the box, as with most Pure Badger, but soften with use. At $39.99, for a lathe turned, handmade, densely filled, Pure Badger brush from Rooney, this represents quite a value.

The badger hair used in these "Super" Silvertip brushes is of the same quality, and filled to the same density, as that of all Rooney Style 3 Size 1 "Super" brushes. The brush loft as published on the site (47mm) is an average for the full line of Rooney "Specials". (You should be aware that the most recent batch of standard Style 3 Size 1 Supers that we received also came in with a loft of 47mm.)

The full range of our Rooney "Specials" can be seen HERE

As said before, gorgeous new additions. Going to be making a purchase soon, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Thanks Jim!

Wow! This is almost too good. Thanks for the info Jim.
By the way, if I want a shorter loft brush, can I ask you while checking out to pick one out with a shorter loft (45mm-47mm as opposed to the 50mm outliers in your batch)?

Beautiful! and I mean that coral-colored 3/1 in "Super"!!

proxy.php

Offer it in 1/1, and I'm there!!!

Wow! This is almost too good. Thanks for the info Jim.
By the way, if I want a shorter loft brush, can I ask you while checking out to pick one out with a shorter loft (45mm-47mm as opposed to the 50mm outliers in your batch)?

Jim and Erin will hand select a brush based on your request if you ask them to. I've done this and have always been happy with the results. They even put a special sticker on the box letting you know the brush was hand selected.

Thank you for all the interest in the Rooney "Specials". One follow-up note on the "Coral" brushes. The color of the handles are not quite as "red red" as they appear in the photos on the site. I have tried re-shooting the photos several times and even editing the color balance to no avail. They are still quite striking, but are more of what I would call a "rusty red".

I just hate to be accused of posting misleading photos. However, although I have invested in a light tent set-up and a slightly better Nikon camera, my photo editing skills leave a lot to be desired.

I will await the posting of pictures from those with better skills who have purchase the ones that will be shipped on Monday. Any who are unhappy with the color upon receipt just give us a call.

I'd just like to add that I have a Rooney Special in pure badger that I bought from the B/S/T forum. This is an excellent brush value. Blows away the often mentioned C&E BB brush in my opinion. Nice density, attractive lathe turned handle. Scrubby at first but as Jim said that may go away with some regular use. I bought mine to use as a travel brush but it's certainly worth consideration as a first brush or just a nice brush to have in your rotation.

I'd just like to add that I have a Rooney Special in pure badger that I bought from the B/S/T forum. This is an excellent brush value. Blows away the often mentioned C&E BB brush in my opinion. Nice density, attractive lathe turned handle. Scrubby at first but as Jim said that may go away with some regular use. I bought mine to use as a travel brush but it's certainly worth consideration as a first brush or just a nice brush to have in your rotation.

Big +1 here, i really love pure badgers equally as well as my Rooney supers. the loft on these are perfect!

That faux tortoise handle is amazing. I just bought a 3/1 in faux ivory in Super, and it is the most perfect brush I could ever imagine owning. I may have to get one of these in Tortoise as a travel brush!

I appreciate the generous offer of the CBL lens. However, I think I will try to work through it. You also are probably over estimating both the quality of my camera and my skill level. :blushing:

I'm thinking about ordering the Rooney Style 3 Special w/ Faux Tortoise Shell. Anyone have that particular one? Look good in person?

I ordered a Coral Special in Super on Sunday and UPS says it's here already. :biggrin:

They helped me change my order before shipping, as I had ordered a pure and decided I wanted the Super. Great service!

Thank you for all the interest in the Rooney "Specials". One follow-up note on the "Coral" brushes. The color of the handles are not quite as "red red" as they appear in the photos on the site. I have tried re-shooting the photos several times and even editing the color balance to no avail. They are still quite striking, but are more of what I would call a "rusty red".

I just hate to be accused of posting misleading photos. However, although I have invested in a light tent set-up and a slightly better Nikon camera, my photo editing skills leave a lot to be desired.

I will await the posting of pictures from those with better skills who have purchase the ones that will be shipped on Monday. Any who are unhappy with the color upon receipt just give us a call.

Jim & Erin,

First of all, thanks for the quick service. Second, I have posted some pix of my new Beehive and Coral Special Super in the Brushes forum under "The Rooney's have Landed". The color of the Coral is relatively accurate in my posted pictures on my monitor. For those wishing to see it before you buy, that would be a good place to look. For the record, it's even nicer in person and I'm very happy with the color and the brush in general. Great pattern and depth of color. I'm glad you brought us this offering in a brush. Thanks!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Mine arrived today & already being broken in. The Coral in Super is definitely eyecatching & thanks to Jim for hand selecting - as always superior service from Jim & Erin.

This forum is killing me... I just picked up a very nice 23mm Shavemac 177 from Jim (that I didn't really 'need') & now this... I can see a coral special in my future :mad2:

Top Bottom