What's new

A Saturday Tale

@ralph029 you’re gonna love it once get a proper shave-ready edge, whether you’ve done it yourself or a honemeister does it for you. I’m still a fairly new SR shaves (about 150 shaves) and I hone exclusively with lapping film on an acrylic plate.

You’ve already ordered your film so it’s a little late, but my suggestion is to get 20-12-9-3-1um. At first my coarsest was 12um and I found it wasn’t aggressive enough for blades that were in rough shape.

Just follow the directions in the wiki and you’ll be fine. Just watch your pressure. I used too much for a while and burned through a lot of film unnecessarily. You can feel it when the film is cutting. Once you feel that you don’t need any more pressure.

You’ve already ordered your film so it’s a little late, but my suggestion is to get 20-12-9-3-1um. At first my coarsest was 12um and I found it wasn’t aggressive enough for blades that were in rough shape.

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate all the help. I ordered a pack with 60-40-30-12-9-5-3-1-0.3-0.05µm. I know I won't need all of those but you never know when something might come in handy.

It's amazing what you learn when you read. Sorry boys for all the questions I already answered just by reading.

It's really really strongly encouraged you use a professional honemeister for your first straight, sounds like you've already been through the ringer with the bad-edge trap of first timers, save yourself any further trouble and get to the good part - message doc and mail your straight for a honing, or Griffith or gemstar or any other honemeister on here..

Trying to use a straight that's got a bad edge just sucks, and it pains me every time I see people new not getting the imperatively good edge, and then giving up before enjoying the practice. It pains me because we see it constantly - getting a bad edge that's claimed good is so darned common and easy unfortunately
SR's sent this morning to Doc. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom