What's new

Schick SE vs. my old DE…results?

A few months ago when I switched exclusively to SE injector shaving after 10 years of DE shaving, I got curious about the difference in shaving experience (for me, at least).
I got out my old Merkur 38c barber pole razor and loaded it up with a new blade today.
Now I remember why I switched.
By comparison, while the DE razor was still comfortable and easy to use, it was not nearly as smooth and effective as my Schick L razor, certainly less than I remember…and changing the blade is way more fiddly. 😉
The DE blade definitely felt more flimsy and chattery against my skin and the shave not quite as clean.
Makes the SE blade feel much more firm, effective and controllable.
Happily back to my L tomorrow knowing I made the right choice. 😊
8EA7F90C-991E-4756-9215-9854F9B808D1.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am with you @Retroman1969 -- I have many, many, (too) MANY razors, and whenever I think about 'thinning the herd' the Schick SE razors always go in the "never getting rid of" pile. I like my Schick L (with and without a twin blade), but my fave is a Schick E3, and the D, and the open comb C -- awww, lets face it, I've got every letter of the Schick alphabet, and every single one of them gives a truly great shave.

I am with you @Retroman1969 -- I have many, many, (too) MANY razors, and whenever I think about 'thinning the herd' the Schick SE razors always go in the "never getting rid of" pile. I like my Schick L (with and without a twin blade), but my fave is a Schick E3, and the D, and the open comb C -- awww, lets face it, I've got every letter of the Schick alphabet, and every single one of them gives a truly great shave.
That’s so cool, I’m just getting started, but I have a c1, c2, a couple of Es, an I and my daily-use L. 😃
I’m sure the collection will grow eventually! 😉
356C7547-C35B-422E-BBB3-D4E0428CDB9E.jpeg

The Schick Type L was the first razor I owned as a young man more than 55 years ago. However, at that time my acne was so bad that any DE or SE razor was hazardous to my face. Thus, I started using a Norelco rotary shaver. It never shaved close enough, but it never caused blood loss. Somewhere along the way, the Schick Type L was lost.

After I retired, I gave up the electric shaver and started traditional wet shaving in earnest, I saw a NOS Schick Type L razor with vintage single and dual blades for sale. Of course, I had to add it to my collection. Currently, the razor stays in the shower for shaving the back of my neck. Occasionally, when I am in a hurry I will lather up in the shower and do one pass with the injector. I was expecting the vintage blades to be great, but I found that the current Chinese Schick injector blade do a better job.

The Schick Type L was the first razor I owned as a young man more than 55 years ago. However, at that time my acne was so bad that any DE or SE razor was hazardous to my face. Thus, I started using a Norelco rotary shaver. It never shaved close enough, but it never caused blood loss. Somewhere along the way, the Schick Type L was lost.

After I retired, I gave up the electric shaver and started traditional wet shaving in earnest, I saw a NOS Schick Type L razor with vintage single and dual blades for sale. Of course, I had to add it to my collection. Currently, the razor stays in the shower for shaving the back of my neck. Occasionally, when I am in a hurry I will lather up in the shower and do one pass with the injector. I was expecting the vintage blades to be great, but I found that the current Chinese Schick injector blade do a better job.
Great story, those memories are one of the things that got me to try a classic Schick, as my dad used one in the 1960s-1980s. I can’t argue that those Chinese Schick blades are really good! 😃

PS, I couldn’t stand that leftover stubble around my nose, jaw and chin, so I Re-shaved with my Schick L.
DE razors never could quite get those problem areas, but for whatever reason the Injectors always easily mow them down smooth. 😉

Great story, those memories are one of the things that got me to try a classic Schick, as my dad used one in the 1960s-1980s. I can’t argue that those Chinese Schick blades are really good! 😃

PS, I couldn’t stand that leftover stubble around my nose, jaw and chin, so I Re-shaved with my Schick L.
DE razors never could quite get those problem areas, but for whatever reason the Injectors always easily mow them down smooth. 😉

Schick injectors are superb razors to use for a "clean-up" pass. One of the nice things is that they are designed to be used with the cap flat against your skin, so there is no issue with shave angle.

For a no-brainer shave, I take out my I2. If I need an ever closer shave and challenge myself a tiny bit more (negligible), I take out my E2

View media item 70408
View media item 69871
Cool, I have one of those! Never have used it, but it looks like it would shave just like my L1, which means it should be near perfect. 😊
D2587905-E138-454D-8867-30DBCF0FF6ED.jpeg

I also have the E, seems to be a ton of love for them, but I have found it really aggressive. It could be mine is tweaked or something due to age though.

I also have the E, seems to be a ton of love for them, but I have found it really aggressive. It could be mine is tweaked or something due to age though.
Could be, I had the same experience with a L Schick. Always rough, even with the same blades as I use in my I2 en E2. By closer inspection, it seemed the safety bar was bent just a little. Anyhow, threw it in the bin once I found out is was only with that specific razor that I had nicks and cuts.

Mind you though, the Personna blades are - in my case - not even half as nice as the Schick Proline B's or old stock Schicks. So don't forget to try those, if you haven't already.

Could be, I had the same experience with a L Schick. Always rough, even with the same blades as I use in my I2 en E2. By closer inspection, it seemed the safety bar was bent just a little. Anyhow, threw it in the bin once I found out is was only with that specific razor that I had nicks and cuts.

Mind you though, the Personna blades are - in my case - not even half as nice as the Schick Proline B's or old stock Schicks. So don't forget to try those, if you haven't already.
Thanks, I have a second E never used in the case, I might load it up and try it just to see if it’s just the other razor in particular. 😉
I do use the Schick yellow card blades exclusively. I’ve heard nothing but great things about them. 😉😃

Okay, tried the second E.
You were right…smoooooooth! Loved it! Must have been something wrong with the first one after all. 😉

Top Bottom