What's new

Lambda Lovers

I’m super impressed by the shave experience—mild yet long lasting bbs. It’s now nearly 24 hours later. The Athena has scared all the stubble away, my face is still as smooth as after my shave yesterday.

If Theo ever releases a titanium Athena, I’ll be the first to want one—love the face feel of titanium and lighter razors!!

I’m super impressed by the shave experience—mild yet long lasting bbs. It’s now nearly 24 hours later. The Athena has scared all the stubble away, my face is still as smooth as after my shave yesterday.

If Theo ever releases a titanium Athena, I’ll be the first to want one—love the face feel of titanium and lighter razors!!

Of course, anything is possible but I think part of the beauty and charm of Lambda razors is the color of the bronze alloy they are made from.

Of course, anything is possible but I think part of the beauty and charm of Lambda razors is the color of the bronze alloy they are made from.
I completely agree. I have zero intention of ever selling my Athena—it’s far too beautiful and masterfully crafted. I’m not a collector, but I do enjoy titanium razors for all the properties that make titanium unique.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks Big_T.
@Butch Waxx, to put this in some perspective, maybe, the Athena matches the mild but efficient razors I have: the Blutt BR-1 1.2; the Rocnel Elite; the ATT X1 AC Slant. It is at least a half step up from the Claymore Evolution. I get ~12 hour shaves with all 4 of these razors.

Longer lasting shaves than my England/British Flat Bottom Tech for me, at least.

I don't know if we have any of these razors in common. It would be best if you listed your favorite razors to see if anyone else has them and can compare apples to apples, if you will.

@Butch Waxx, to put this in some perspective, maybe, the Athena matches the mild but efficient razors I have: the Blutt BR-1 1.2; the Rocnel Elite; the ATT X1 AC Slant. It is at least a half step up from the Claymore Evolution. I get ~12 hour shaves with all 4 of these razors.

Longer lasting shaves than my England/British Flat Bottom Tech for me, at least.

I don't know if we have any of these razors in common. It would be best if you listed your favorite razors to see if anyone else has them and can compare apples to apples, if you will.
Thanks as always Phoenixkh…..My razors are:
Timeless Ti .95 OC and SB.
RazoRock SS .95 Lupo OC and SB.
RazoRock SS .72 Lupo SB.
RazoRock SS .84 Gamechanger.
Blackland Blackbird Ti. Satin finished.
Blackland SS Vector.
Gillette E4 1959 Fatboy.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
RazoRock SS .72 Lupo SB.
Blackland SS Vector.
Gillette E4 1959 Fatboy.
I have a RR Lupo with 95OC and 72SB base plates. I'm planning on buying the 72OC and a 95SB in the next couple weeks when they become available. I haven't used the Lupo yet but I'll get right on that... I'll bump it up to tomorrow's shave and see how it compares with the Athena... I think I'll start with the 72SB since the Athena is mild yet efficient, unless you think the 95OC would be a more appropriate test.

I'm sure other people have several of your razors as well as the Athena... they'll be a much better source of information than I will, with my limited experience but I'll give it a try anyway.

I have a RR Lupo with 95OC and 72SB base plates. I'm planning on buying the 72OC and a 95SB in the next couple weeks when they become available. I haven't used the Lupo yet but I'll get right on that... I'll bump it up to tomorrow's shave and see how it compares with the Athena... I think I'll start with the 72SB since the Athena is mild yet efficient, unless you think the 95OC would be a more appropriate test.

I'm sure other people have several of your razors as well as the Athena... they'll be a much better source of information than I will, with my limited experience but I'll give it a try anyway.
Phoenixkh, I really appreciate your input, and yes, I think the 72 SB would be a good test from what I’ve read. I am not sure I will be ordering the Athena, but it certainly is a classy looking piece of art.😊👍💈

RazoRock SS .72 Lupo SB.
Blackland SS Vector.
Gillette E4 1959 Fatboy.
I only have the Timeless 0.95, the Vector and the Blackbird.

I would say the Athena is both more efficient AND more mild feeling than the Timeless and the Vector. Much more mild-feeling than the Vector, to my mind. The way I look at razors that makes the Athena simply a better shaver than both of them, but you might have different criteria than I do. Or you might get different results on your hair and skin, and with your technique, but honestly it would surprise me if you didn’t get clearly better and more comfortable shaves with the Athena.

Comparison to the Blackbird is more difficult, because the Blackbird is also an interesting and unconventional razor. What I get with the Blackbird is a surprisingly gentle shave when I use a shallow angle, and a strong amount of blade feel but a much more efficient shave when I use a steep angle. It’s kind of a Jeckyll and Hyde razor and both ways are good, depending on what you want. I don’t know if you find the same.

I would say my shaves with the Athena are more efficient than a shallow Blackbird (for me) and at least as comfortable. Compared to a steep Blackbird, I find the Athena less efficient but much, much more comfortable.

Aside from the shaves, the Athena is a lot more refined than all three of those razors - better build quality and better finishing, by a wide margin. I’d say the Athena is a true high-end razor (ignore the price), closer to Wolfman or Haircut & Shave level finishing, whereas I would think of the Blackbird, Vector and Timeless as mid-range razors for manufacturing refinement. I’d probably put the Timeless a bit above the Blackland razors, but far below the Athena.

For handling, feel, and pleasure in use, I’d put the Athena top as well - the feel and ease of the shave and the quality of the feedback are really nice, and the water channels are very cool but also genuinely effective. The Vector has great qualities too, though, being so precise-feeling, light and nimble, so it might be the closest. The Athena handle could be grippier when wet, and that’s probably the only criticism, but that’s true of the Vector as well.

I hope that helps. I don’t know how well my experiences and observations with those razors resonate with yours.

Last edited:

I would say the Athena is both more efficient AND more mild feeling than the Timeless and the Vector. Much more mild-feeling than the Vector, to my mind. The way I look at razors that makes the Athena simply a better shaver than both of them, but you might have different criteria than I do. Or you might get different results on your hair and skin, and with your technique, but honestly it would surprise me if you didn’t get clearly better and more comfortable shaves with the Athena.

Comparison to the Blackbird is more difficult, because the Blackbird is also an interesting and unconventional razor. What I get with the Blackbird is a surprisingly gentle shave when I use a shallow angle, and a strong amount of blade feel but a much more efficient shave when I use a steep angle. It’s kind of a Jeckyll and Hyde razor and both ways are good, depending on what you want. I don’t know if you find the same.

I would say my shaves with the Athena are more efficient than a shallow Blackbird (for me) and at least as comfortable. Compared to a steep Blackbird, I find the Athena less efficient but much, much more comfortable.

Aside from the shaves, the Athena is a lot more refined than all three of those razors - better build quality and better finishing, by a wide margin. I’d say the Athena is a true high-end razor (ignore the price), closer to Wolfman or Haircut & Shave level finishing, whereas I would think of the Blackbird, Vector and Timeless as mid-range razors for manufacturing refinement. I’d probably put the Timeless a bit above the Blackland razors, but far below the Athena.

For handling, feel, and pleasure in use, I’d put the Athena top as well - the feel and ease of the shave and the quality of the feedback are really nice, and the water channels are just very cool. The Vector has great qualities too, though, being so precise-feeling, light and nimble, so it might be the closest. The Athena handle could be grippier when wet, and that’s probably the only criticism, but that’s true of the Vector as well.

I hope that helps. I don’t know how well my experiences and observations with those razors resonate with yours.
Thank you sir for your input. A very nice write-up indeed and I would concur with the majority of your comments regarding our common razors. You really got my attention when stating your observations regarding the Athena being more efficient and more mild than the Timeless and the Vector…..That Timeless Ti .95 OC is one heck of an efficient and comfortable razor, at least on my mug. And yes, more so than the Vector as you mentioned. The Vector is the closest thing I have to anything like a straight, (or shavette), for sure more like a surgical instrument that’s very efficient, but not the most comfortable.
You give very valuable information when comparing with the Blackbird. I can see where you’re coming from on that one.
You certainly make a very strong case for the Athena and I will refer to your comments in the next few days as I make my mind up. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

For handling, feel, and pleasure in use, I’d put the Athena top as well - the feel and ease of the shave and the quality of the feedback are really nice, and the water channels are very cool but also genuinely effective. The Vector has great qualities too, though, being so precise-feeling, light and nimble, so it might be the closest. The Athena handle could be grippier when wet, and that’s probably the only criticism, but that’s true of the Vector as well.

I don't see the Athena for sale anywhere, but appreciate the review anyway. I have the Blackbird, had, but returned the Vector, and have had various Timeless razors including the 95. Meaning your review gives me some hints and clues concerning what I might like about the Athena.

Not that I need one of course.

The Sailor comes a whole lot of territory and I have a few other razors.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I don't see the Athena for sale anywhere, but appreciate the review anyway. I have the Blackbird, had, but returned the Vector, and have had various Timeless razors including the 95. Meaning your review gives me some hints and clues concerning what I might like about the Athena.

Not that I need one of course.

The Sailor comes a whole lot of territory and I have a few other razors.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
It’s really nothing like any of the Blackland or Timeless razors, though, so I’m not sure that what I wrote would give much of an idea. I’m only saying “milder” or “more efficient”, which are just directional outcomes and do not explain what the shave is like.

If you’ve used a Karve Overlander or the Bluttrasur you’re nearer the ballpark, I think. What you have to imagine is a razor with no blade feel at all that is nevertheless very efficient and also gives a lot of feedback during the shave.

I should try the Sailor on the dot setting or ‘1’ to see if that may give something meaningful to compare the Athena against. I haven’t gone lower than ‘2’ on my Sailor because I felt the effective angle was narrowing a lot at that point and it wasn’t quite as efficient as I wanted. Do you think the Sailor has positive blade exposure at all settings or is it zero somewhere? I’d say the Athena is nearly as efficient as the Sailor on setting ‘3’ but with no blade feel. What razor is like that?

I don’t think the Tatara Muramasa is a good comparison even though it gets to zero or negative blade exposure at settings ‘2’ and ‘1’, respectively. The blade curvature on the Muramasa is pretty flat, so the blade edge has a certain harshness and isn’t slicing hair the way the Athena is, and the edge is nowhere near as rigid as the Athena and it’s not as efficient.

The Lambda razors are just very different in the way they shave. It’s a different approach to razor head geometry and I don’t think there is another razor yet (that I know of) that is engineered at all like it. It’s a very interesting and unique razor.

From what Theo told me about the original Ares v1, with this head geometry and comb even a small amount of positive blade exposure was too much for anyone who isn’t an experienced shaver with good technique. Maybe that gives you some sense of how different this is, and how close a 0.3mm gap and zero blade exposure razor of this design can be to the limit of efficiency that the majority of shavers can comfortably tolerate.

I think you’ve just got to try one yourself and, while it’s very easy to get great shaves from it out of the box, I think you have to invest time to better understand what the razor is doing and how you can get even more performance and pleasure out of it. I can’t explain it well still, and I feel I am still learning these razors. I think it’s mostly to do with the extremely close blade clamping, high blade curvature, the angle the blade edge presents to your skin, and the unusual design of the slotted safety bar - all these things combined mean that even a medium blade gap and any blade exposure at all are unnecessary or even undesirable.

You can of course just be happy with the results, however when somebody then asks how it compares to another razor, there’s not much you can usefully say apart from “smoother” and/or “more efficient” and I don’t think that really says much until they feel for themselves the way it cuts, the kind of feedback it gives, and the face feel.

I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be mystical. I would explain it more meaningfully if I could.

Last edited:
It’s really nothing like any of the Blackland or Timeless razors, though, so I’m not sure that what I wrote would give much of an idea. I’m only saying “milder” or “more efficient”, which are just directional outcomes and do not explain what the shave is like.

If you’ve used a Karve Overlander or the Bluttrasur you’re nearer the ballpark, I think. What you have to imagine is a razor with no blade feel at all that is nevertheless very efficient and also gives a lot of feedback during the shave.

I should try the Sailor on the dot setting or ‘1’ to see if that may give something meaningful to compare the Athena against. I haven’t gone lower than ‘2’ on my Sailor because I felt the effective angle was narrowing a lot at that point and it wasn’t quite as efficient as I wanted. Do you think the Sailor has positive blade exposure at all settings or is it zero somewhere? I’d say the Athena is nearly as efficient as the Sailor on setting ‘3’ but with no blade feel. What razor is like that?

I don’t think the Tatara Muramasa is a good comparison even though it gets to zero or negative blade exposure at settings ‘2’ and ‘1’, respectively. The blade curvature on the Muramasa is pretty flat, so the blade edge has a certain harshness and isn’t slicing hair the way the Athena is, and the edge is nowhere near as rigid as the Athena and it’s not as efficient.

The Lambda razors are just very different in the way they shave. It’s a different approach to razor head geometry and I don’t think there is another razor yet (that I know of) that is engineered at all like it. It’s a very interesting and unique razor.

From what Theo told me about the original Ares v1, with this head geometry and comb even a small amount of positive blade exposure was too much for anyone who isn’t an experienced shaver with good technique. Maybe that gives you some sense of how different this is, and how close a 0.3mm gap and zero blade exposure razor of this design can be to the limit of efficiency that the majority of shavers can comfortably tolerate.

I think you’ve just got to try one yourself and, while it’s very easy to get great shaves from it out of the box, I think you have to invest time to better understand what the razor is doing and how you can get even more performance and pleasure out of it. I can’t explain it well still, and I feel I am still learning these razors. I think it’s mostly to do with the extremely close blade clamping, high blade curvature, the angle the blade edge presents to your skin, and the unusual design of the slotted safety bar - all these things combined mean that even a medium blade gap and any blade exposure at all are unnecessary or even undesirable.

You can of course just be happy with the results, however when somebody then asks how it compares to another razor, there’s not much you can usefully say apart from “smoother” and/or “more efficient” and I don’t think that really says much until they feel for themselves the way it cuts, the kind of feedback it gives, and the face feel.

I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be mystical. I would explain it more meaningfully if I could.
Well said sir.😊👍💈

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used the Athena again today.... I used a Personna Labs Platinum Blue (German). I didn't find it as smooth as the Wizamets. It cut just fine but it wasn't as enjoyable to use. The end results were just fine... the shave just wasn't as pleasant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I used the Athena again today.... I used a Personna Labs Platinum Blue (German). I didn't find it as smooth as the Wizamets. It cut just fine but it wasn't as enjoyable to use. The end results were just fine... the shave just wasn't as pleasant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Would a Feather suit the Athena?

Top Bottom