What's new

RazoRock Superslant views, reviews, and shaves

Here are views of my L3:
696D7E8E-82D5-4345-AA08-10363F376E77.jpeg

553411E9-7E3E-49B3-A3B8-6703C1FC854E.jpeg
D9535B31-9A50-4844-A79D-D96401C1DC54.jpeg

5CFF9C70-2CD8-430A-9212-22FA36B202F3.jpeg
BA4910DF-79E8-403F-8C9E-C057EE487BDA.jpeg

Serial # starts 666. Will it be a beast?

Any idea what the weight of the head is? That looks choncky compared to the Wunderbar. Thanks for the pictures!

My scale gives 38g for the Superslant head versus 33g for the Wunderbar. Both had a blade loaded.

BTW, the blade loads stiffly into the Superslant. I expect that moving a blade from the Superslant to another razor will not go smoothly. My PBOCS is similar that way.

@Tanuki nice comparison pics.
Looking forward to shave reviews .

And here is my first shave review:

Background: Italian Barber advises that the Superslant L3 is similar in aggression/efficiency to the Wunderbar, but less likely to bite. I have used the Wunderbar extensively, without issues with biting. I have decades of slant shaving in my background, originally with a Merkur 36, then with many different slants.

German theme, wellspring of slants. I loaded, with some difficulty, a fresh Timor.

My first shave was a fast one. I was called to dinner while lathering with my Tabac tallow stick and a generic German boar. So I shaved quickly, but not hurriedly, telling myself that IB had insured me against blood loss.

This was a very basic shave, since I sport a mustache, goatee, and my sideburns have recently traveled along my jawline to reach the goatee (at the LOTH's request).

Pass 1 - very efficient. Cheeks are finished to BBS, neck (S to N) is where it usually arrives after finishing my N to S pass 2.

Pass 2 - neck only, left side is done, no need for my usual sideways/angled clean up pass. Right side, location of the infamous stubble maelstrom, could be declared finished, but I didn't buy a Superslant moments after release in order to settle for 'good enough'.

Maelstrom cleanup - boxing the compass on the maelstrom. As close as it ever gets.

AS - adidas Dynamic Pulse, minimal sting

Sensation: plenty of blade feel, but little sense of danger. The blade edge seems absolutely rigid. Angle was not an issue for this shave, but I was shaving quickly, not experimenting. Detailing was straightforward. I like OC for DE detailing and expect to get a Superslant OC plate when offered. I used a RazoRock Thin Common Bar handle. The razor was on the heavy side by my standards, which involve TI handles and lighter heads in many cases.

Comparisons:
One shave is by no means definitive, but the L3 is more efficient than the Wunderbar. It has greater blade feel, but perhaps requires less focus and attention.

My PBOCS is equally efficient, but requires iron nerve and laser focus. And might bite anyway. Loading the Timor in the Superslant was more difficult than loading the PBOCS.

My FOCS is similar in efficiency to the Wunderbar, so a notch down from the Superslant. I would say the FOCS and the RRSS are very comparable in their requirements for focus and attention, though the RRSS rating is just preliminary.
8CFA476D-01CD-41EB-9671-C4202FB73E2A.jpeg

Yikes. Very interesting. Is it resistant to loading a blade?

I think 'resistant' is a very well chosen adjective. I spent some time at it. The final bend is quite sharp (not rounded) and angled strongly across the blade.

When done, the blade is very firmly held. I did not experiment with opening the head slightly to adjust the shave, but the blade tension appears to be strong enough to hold an adjustment safely. Stronger than my 'twist adjustable' PAA Copper Ascension DOC or my El Fantasma double slant, for example.

I
And here is my first shave review:

Background: Italian Barber advises that the Superslant L3 is similar in aggression/efficiency to the Wunderbar, but less likely to bite. I have used the Wunderbar extensively, without issues with biting. I have decades of slant shaving in my background, originally with a Merkur 36, then with many different slants.

German theme, wellspring of slants. I loaded, with some difficulty, a fresh Timor.

My first shave was a fast one. I was called to dinner while lathering with my Tabac tallow stick and a generic German boar. So I shaved quickly, but not hurriedly, telling myself that IB had insured me against blood loss.

This was a very basic shave, since I sport a mustache, goatee, and my sideburns have recently traveled along my jawline to reach the goatee (at the LOTH's request).

Pass 1 - very efficient. Cheeks are finished to BBS, neck (S to N) is where it usually arrives after finishing my N to S pass 2.

Pass 2 - neck only, left side is done, no need for my usual sideways/angled clean up pass. Right side, location of the infamous stubble maelstrom, could be declared finished, but I didn't buy a Superslant moments after release in order to settle for 'good enough'.

Maelstrom cleanup - boxing the compass on the maelstrom. As close as it ever gets.

AS - adidas Dynamic Pulse, minimal sting

Sensation: plenty of blade feel, but little sense of danger. The blade edge seems absolutely rigid. Angle was not an issue for this shave, but I was shaving quickly, not experimenting. Detailing was straightforward. I like OC for DE detailing and expect to get a Superslant OC plate when offered. I used a RazoRock Thin Common Bar handle. The razor was on the heavy side by my standards, which involve TI handles and lighter heads in many cases.

Comparisons:
One shave is by no means definitive, but the L3 is more efficient than the Wunderbar. It has greater blade feel, but perhaps requires less focus and attention.

My PBOCS is equally efficient, but requires iron nerve and laser focus. And might bite anyway. Loading the Timor in the Superslant was more difficult than loading the PBOCS.

My FOCS is similar in efficiency to the Wunderbar, so a notch down from the Superslant. I would say the FOCS and the RRSS are very comparable in their requirements for focus and attention, though the RRSS rating is just preliminary.
View attachment 1566097
I agree that there's more blade feel. Owing to, I think, the angle being a little more "henson" esque. A neutral angle as opposed to the wunderbars "ride the cap" shaving angle. Both are wonderful razors. However I do not think the super slant replaces the wunderbar completely. They are different experiences, same efficiency and comfort though.

When loading the blade in mine, I found the easiest way is to drop the blade over the top cap and then drop the base onto to top cap. Then, I just apply 'ever so slight pressure' and it works every time. If I try to push down with a lot of pressure it resists. The tolerances are super tight and the holes in the base must drop perfectly up-and-down to the posts. I love the fact the blade is locked in perfectly.

When loading the blade in mine, I found the easiest way is to drop the blade over the top cap and then drop the base onto to top cap. Then, I just apply 'ever so slight pressure' and it works every time. If I try to push down with a lot of pressure it resists. The tolerances are super tight and the holes in the base must drop perfectly up-and-down to the posts. I love the fact the blade is locked in perfectly.

Guilty! I was taking the "with a lot of pressure" approach. :blushing:

I am just leaving the Timor in there for now, but I will respect the tight tolerances and take a gentler approach for the next blade.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
On Steam I would probably give you a "deep thoughts" badge or something like that, very interesting to see what they did there. The blade seems to get bent to the point on a permanent deformation, not much point trying to move it into another razor. But I so rarely do that anyways.

Particularly interesting: The bar of the Superslant isn't "lowered" under the blade, as it is for the Wunderbar. Maybe they do that for the +/++ versions. Haven't seen the L2++ version yet, that might be the answer to my hunch.

I used an L3 this morning . I must admit...the thing arrived early last week and sat on my shelf for a few days before I got the nerve to use it. It's an extreme "slant." My prior experiences with a slant were ATT only. I have only 2 observations:

This is an efficient (defined for me as smooth shave with least pressure) razor. I think it might have just edged out my Blackbird in that regard. But it is NOT aggressive. Easy to use.

Secondly, I think the way some blades are cut in the center don't fit well over the posts on the cap. I struggled with a Personna. So I threw that blade away and pulled out a Feather (which is my preferred blade anyway). The Feather went on just fine. The cut-outs on the Feather and Personna look the same, but I think they're just different enough.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Can y'all handle some more pictures this morning?

Well, one, anyway...

IMG_0678[1].JPG

Top to Bottom: RazoRock Wunderbar, Merkur 37, RazoRock L3 Superslant, Merkur "Super Slant."

Without getting quantitative, the Superslant is, to my highly calibrated eyeballs, as helical as the Wunderbar. The Merkur 37 looks like it's slightly less helical, while the Merkur "Super Slant" takes the prize for extreme helicality.

Mass, balance, handle length; all fit in my sweet spot.

Blade loading. Man, you guys oughta all be loading a Konsul. Loading the L3 is simple and easy. Same technique.

But man, did that thing ever make the blade scream! Bent up the tabs in the blade slots just a little. I chortled.

Stacking the L3 Superslant up against its closest relative: A bit less bladefeel than the Wunderbar; the Superslant felt less inclined to give me that "I'm this -><- close to nicking you" feeling. Ringing in another razor, the Superslant feels as smooth as the ATT S2 but is slightly more efficient. I could really hear it working ATG.

I took it a little gently over the spots with the crazy patterns. They're noticeably smooth but will benefit from some reflection on technique. I just didn't want to rip them up with a new razor. Besides, if I keep breathing I'll shave again in a couple of days.

The "shave window" is large and easy to find. Like everybody else, it's early days yet and it'll take a couple more shaves to start refining the technique. Not that it seems to need much refinement; it was a nice smooth comfortable shave and made me glad I went for the L3 as opposed to the L2.

Beyond that rather low-key approval I'll reserve until I know the razor better. Lovely razor; lovely shave.

O.H.

Secondly, I think the way some blades are cut in the center don't fit well over the posts on the cap. I struggled with a Personna. So I threw that blade away and pulled out a Feather (which is my preferred blade anyway). The Feather went on just fine. The cut-outs on the Feather and Personna look the same, but I think they're just different enough.

Makes me want to dip into the used blade midden and have a big blade loading potlatch. I might even do it...

Blade loading. Man, you guys oughta all be loading a Konsul. Loading the L3 is simple and easy. Same technique.

But man, did that thing ever make the blade scream! Bent up the tabs in the blade slots just a little. I chortled.

No, I'm not getting another adjustable. Especially not at the Konsul price point. Do I need precision tweezers, K-Y jelly, or a bigger hammer to load a Konsul? Is one of those the "same technique"?

For now, @buyandhold2018 is my Superslant loading guru. Maybe my financial advisor as well, though "pausebuyingbutstillhold2022" might better be my $$$ guy for the moment.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
No, I'm not getting another adjustable.

Committing to that? :)

OH...I see. "Another..." Well, that changes things. The Konsul is my only adjustable. For now.

Do I need precision tweezers, K-Y jelly, or a bigger hammer to load a Konsul? Is one of those the "same technique"?

No, you don't need them. But then again, all's fair between a man and his razor so I won't judge. It's Saturday night; knock yourself out. But to the task at hand...

This looks more complicated than it is, but bear with me.

1. Flip cap stud-up. Arko shown for scale.

IMG_0680[1].JPG

2. Gently place blade over stud. Or throw it onto the stud from across the room like a ninja star, if you're that good.

IMG_0682[1].JPG

3. Place thumb and forefinger on either side of the stud.

IMG_0683[1].JPG

4. Gently slide down the stud and press the blade down into the cap. Don't let go just yet!

IMG_0684[1].JPG

5. With your other hand, take hold of the cap (and blade) from the ends of the head. Squeeze just firmly enough to hold the blade in the cap.

IMG_0685[1].JPG

6. Now slip the baseplate between your fingers keeping just enough squeeze to hold the blade in position.

IMG_0686[1].JPG

7. Now screw on the handle and seat everything properly.

IMG_0687[1].JPG

There ya go. Takes all of five seconds. Now have a drink from the mug of recombobulant and enjoy your shave!

O.H.

Superslant blade loading potlatch

These, plus a GSB and a Kai, are the trialists:
21FF0F5A-9292-485F-8D94-69FAEB68C4E9.jpeg

Results:
6EF96474-9F78-4590-9633-E74BCE02E97B.jpeg
Dorco and Merkur Super are sticky.

Carbon Tiger, Nacet, Personna Platinum Chrome, and SuperMax Blue Diamond load less than smoothly.

Timor, Merkur - the German connection?

All the other blades loaded with ease.

Last edited:
Top Bottom