What's new

Imperial Leather Bar Soap

Over the past few years, there has been an influx of immigrants from Nepal to my area (South-Central Pennsylvania). As common with many immigrant populations, one of the first things they do is open up stores selling their regional foods and products. I have a rather large Nepalese grocery store a few blocks from my house, and I love exploring and finding new foods and other household items there. Last weekend I was looking around and saw a shelf full of Imperial Leather soap bars. I was intrigued, sniffed the package, and decided to take one home for a trial. I was very pleased with the result. It's a large bar, pleasantly-scented with a sweet leather fragrance (not overpowering), easily generates a rich, smooth lather, and seems like it will last for quite some time (similar to some French-milled soaps I've tried.) I went back yesterday and grabbed a couple more bars. (Not exactly a huge investment, as a BIG 200g bar is $1.99!)

Imperial Leather was originally a British product, but this particular bar is manufactured in Thailand. It's apparently quite popular in South Asia.

The bottom line: Check out some of these ethnic groceries/bodegas. There are some great products and great bargains to be had. I've given up buying spices and herbs from my American groceries. I can get much better quality, selections, and prices at some of these little shops catering to immigrant populations.

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I love the smell of Imerial Leather soap but I cannot use it to often as it makes my skin itchy. Pity because it smells great.

I used to love Cussin's Imperial Leather bath bars. The old British bars were the best, however the original formula was used in the production of bars in Tanzania . Kenya and a few other countries as well up until about 12 years ago when they cheapened the formula. A freshly opened bar would scent the entire room with a powerful sandalwood aroma ... It was always a very drying bar .

...I've given up buying spices and herbs from my American groceries. I can get much better quality, selections, and prices at some of these little shops catering to immigrant populations.
Amen to that. Those little jars of spices at the supermarket are a joke. The small sizes at my local Indian markets are around 250 grams and sold at reasonable prices. Not to mention 20 pound bags of rice and whole wheat flour. Plus other wonderful stuff.

:biggrin1:

Amen to that. Those little jars of spices at the supermarket are a joke. The small sizes at my local Indian markets are around 250 grams and sold at reasonable prices. Not to mention 20 pound bags of rice and whole wheat flour. Plus other wonderful stuff.

:biggrin1:
I never realized there were so many varieties of dried legumes (lentils, peas, beans, etc.) until I started visiting the local Asian markets.

During my childhood and youth in the UK (let's say quite a few decades ago) Imperial Leather was considered quite a "posh" soap and a definite cut above the likes of Wright's coal tar soap or Lifebuoy. I have used it a few times in more recent years and found it very ordinary. The old formulation change strikes again.

Top Bottom