What's new

Has anyone looked at iKon razors lately?

Last year I had purchased a new iKon Tek. I think I had payed like $50 directly from them. I like agressive razors so I thought the Tek would be a good choice to add to my list of razors. In the end I sold it because I found it rough. I remember not feeling the safety bar at all so it felt like it was all blade. Looking back I think I didn't give it a fair chance. I should have tried more angles than what I used and different blades as well. And the build quality was nice plus the handle was fantastic.
Fast forward to today:
Out of curiosity, I went on iKon's website. The prices have drastically dropped. They're selling the Tek's including the handle for $29.99!
But the best deal I saw was the Tek head, Short comb OC head plus the handle for $45!
So I bought one, Lol!!
That's 2 razors (very agressive & medium agressive) for $50 including shipping!
Maybe this time I can give the Tek the chance it deserves. And I've never tried the iKon Tek OC short comb but it looks interesting and I'll have the chance to try that one out too.
At one point (from what I've read) iKon was on top and now it seems like no one even talks about them. They've obviously fallen behind. But for the current price, they seem like a ridiculously good deal for what they offer. I also believe that buying it now was good because like most items, things tend to eventually fade.
Anyone else have any current experience with iKon razors?

full

I bought an Ikon Tek last year directly from the manufacturer, shipped to the UK.

Shipping was a bit of a nightmare - according to the tracking info it spent several weeks bouncing around the USA, then went to Denmark for a fortnight before finally making landfall in blighty. That's not the fault of Ikon though of course.

The apparent build quality and finish on the razor is superb though I have to say the blade alignment is very tricky and requires much fiddling about - not sure if this is normal or not.
I found it feels far more aggressive in use than, for example, an R41 but with a bit of practice provides a very close shave.

I got a good deal on a tuckaway handle recently. Think it was $18 shipped on sale.

I forgot what the thing was but I believe they’re a banned vendor on here? Doesn’t seem like they really have come out with anything unique in a while. When they were a new company they were considered pretty innovative.

Last year I had purchased a new iKon Tek. I think I had payed like $50 directly from them. I like agressive razors so I thought the Tek would be a good choice to add to my list of razors. In the end I sold it because I found it rough. I remember not feeling the safety bar at all so it felt like it was all blade. Looking back I think I didn't give it a fair chance. I should have tried more angles than what I used and different blades as well. And the build quality was nice plus the handle was fantastic.
Fast forward to today:
Out of curiosity, I went on iKon's website. The prices have drastically dropped. They're selling the Tek's including the handle for $29.99!
But the best deal I saw was the Tek head, Short comb OC head plus the handle for $45!
So I bought one, Lol!!
Maybe this time I can give the Tek the chance it deserves. And I've never tried the iKon Tek OC short comb but it looks interesting and I'll have the chance to try that one out too.
At one point (from what I've read) iKon was on top and now it seems like no one even talks about them. They've obviously fallen behind. But for the current price, they seem like a ridiculously good deal for what they offer. I also believe that buying it now was good because like most items, things tend to eventually fade.

full
By the way, service seems pretty good. I placed my order last night and it was shipped out this morning!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Fast forward to today:
So I bought one, Lol!!

full

And here I thought your RAD was over, only to just discover, that you started it up again. You sly devil you! HAHA 🤣 I don't think that Ikon razors are heavily well known no, but to answer your question, yes, I have heard of them. If I had a very rough shave with one such as you suggested, I would never have gave them a second chance, not unless it were vintage.

You know I had a bad experience with my Gillette RED flare tipped SuperSpeed razor. But, I think its in very much need of maintenance, and clearly needs a replate job. But once I get that done, I am going to give the razor another chance using a different blade. But that Ikon Razor of yours is a modern razor, I wouldn't expect the design to suddenly change after a few months.

Having said that however, you did say that you bought two different versions, so maybe one of those will shave well for you? Still though, you sure did jumpstart your RAD again. How many razors does this make in your collection now? I think your gonna need a lot of razor stands, like 3 12-razor per stand type deals from Etsy HEHE.

BTW, I am curious to know what the misses thinks of your razor collection? Does she think you have discovered the meaning of life, through whisker reduction tools? Or does she think you have lost your mind going down the rabbit hole, where there is no end in sight? 🤣

And here I thought your RAD was over, only to just discover, that you started it up again. You sly devil you! HAHA 🤣 I don't think that Ikon razors are heavily well known no, but to answer your question, yes, I have heard of them. If I had a very rough shave with one such as you suggested, I would never have gave them a second chance, not unless it were vintage.

You know I had a bad experience with my Gillette RED flare tipped SuperSpeed razor. But, I think its in very much need of maintenance, and clearly needs a replate job. But once I get that done, I am going to give the razor another chance using a different blade. But that Ikon Razor of yours is a modern razor, I wouldn't expect the design to suddenly change after a few months.

Having said that however, you did say that you bought two different versions, so maybe one of those will shave well for you? Still though, you sure did jumpstart your RAD again. How many razors does this make in your collection now? I think your gonna need a lot of razor stands, like 3 12-razor per stand type deals from Etsy HEHE.

BTW, I am curious to know what the misses thinks of your razor collection? Does she think you have discovered the meaning of life, through whisker reduction tools? Or does she think you have lost your mind going down the rabbit hole, where there is no end in sight? 🤣
A. In my defense, I used the words "RAD killer" last night after trying my Greencult 2.0 razor for the first time. I wrote that about 1 day after ordering the iKon razors! So I should get a pass for that!
Now if I keep ordering other razors after writing those ridiculous factual words, then I shall be ridiculed by you all, LOL!!

B. I got rid of most of my vintage razors (the red tips included). I've only kept the few that I found to be above and beyond. My biggest enjoyment has been from my modern tools.

C. I don't know how many anymore! I buy and then sell off what I like least so I'm actually not collecting. I'm currently (I believe) at my lowest point in the total amount of razors I've amassed at a single point in time. I'm
keeping only what I find stellar and nothing that doesn't meet that criteria.

D. She just lets it pass! I'm sure she believes that this is just a phase in life (or that's how I portray it). I don't know about her thinking that there is no end in sight. I can assure you though that I'm practicing "no end in sight" to the fullest🤣

I was looking for a replacement for my 2011 Muhle R41 a couple of years ago (the zamak was rotting) when my interest in new razors was reignited. A few people suggested the Ikon Tek as an aggressive razor to try, so I picked one up. It definitely fits the bill as an aggressive razor, but I have never enjoyed shaving with it - Something about the material (what metal is it made of?) and the safety bar design don't work for me. It was inexpensive, so I just held on to it rather than go to the trouble of selling it or something. I would probably give them another try on a different razor, but nothing in their current line up interests me and and I do still have lingering questions about what the razors are made of and whether I might have similar issues on one of their other razors. Their prices are certainly fair, though.

I was looking for a replacement for my 2011 Muhle R41 a couple of years ago (the zamak was rotting) when my interest in new razors was reignited. A few people suggested the Ikon Tek as an aggressive razor to try, so I picked one up. It definitely fits the bill as an aggressive razor, but I have never enjoyed shaving with it - Something about the material (what metal is it made of?) and the safety bar design don't work for me. It was inexpensive, so I just held on to it rather than go to the trouble of selling it or something. I would probably give them another try on a different razor, but nothing in their current line up interests me and and I do still have lingering questions about what the razors are made of and whether I might have similar issues on one of their other razors. Their prices are certainly fair, though.
What I've read:
The head is aluminum (with some proprietary coating) and the handle is stainless. The safety bar was the issue for me too. As if it was there just for decoration! It never contacted my skin! But as I said before, maybe the angle might have been the issue. I will experiment with it again when it arrives. I read about plenty of people that love it which leads me to believe that it was a technique issue on my end.

They(iKon) say, "aluminum alloy." It's too heavy for aluminum, e.g., weigh one of the Shavecrafts of comparable style to a Fine Accoutrements or PAA product. An aluminum Tek head should feel like 1-2 quarters in the palm of your hand, not like a marginal fist-load. Based on my experience with a 102 head, I'm going to say they are crapzac. Pierce the coating and corrosion begins.

Having said that, I did like their stainless offerings, but they are largely uninspired.

They(iKon) say, "aluminum alloy." It's too heavy for aluminum, e.g., weigh one of the Shavecrafts of comparable style to a Fine Accoutrements or PAA product. An aluminum Tek head should feel like 1-2 quarters in the palm of your hand, not like a marginal fist-load. Based on my experience with a 102 head, I'm going to say they are crapzac. Pierce the coating and corrosion begins.

Having said that, I did like their stainless offerings, but they are largely uninspired.
Well if that's the case, the good news is that they're now cheap enough to make it a justifiable purchase. Even if it lasts a couple years, it's fine. I had a Hoffritz razor from the 60's that had a Zamak head and it still looked new. It would be nice though for them to publish the "real" specs!

My Ikon Tek/Short comb combo arrived today!
As I had written before, I had the Tek before and believe that I never gave it a fair chance. And the Ikon Short comb looked like an interesting razor (which I was previously eyeing).
Out of curiosity I was browsing their website when I saw that they sold both as a combo: Tek plate, Short comb plate, top cap & 3.75" stainless handle. Then I saw the sale price of $45 and said WoW!! I couldn't say no!
The handle alone is well worth it. It's 316L marine stainless and has a beautiful finish. Ikon's build quality
is really nice and for the sale price is a major bargain. I might be wrong but at the current prices, it seems that they're just moving inventory. So I'm glad I got this set!
The short comb will be up for tonight's shave!
Here are some pictures with both heads separately installed:

full

full

full

full

full

That's a very nicely made razor. You got a great deal.
I'm looking forward to finding out how it goes on the first shave.

Fast forward to today:
So I bought one, Lol!!

full
I just bought the ikon tech and the ikon open short comb and I must say I like them both very much, all I need is a one pass shave, very efficient. I am glad I have them both.

Same thing here a few years ago. I did buy the B1 OC and was pretty jazzed about it for a couple shaves (see review Ikon B1 Open Comb - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/reviews/ikon-b1-open-comb.211702/) but the weight distribution and the metal used was all wrong. I wrapped it up, stuck it in a box, and now it lives in the storage unit.

Top Bottom