What's new

My review of MEN-U shaving creme (buddy)

Hey gents, I picked up the MEN-U shaving cream 'buddy' (which is basically like a small travel tube of their shave cream that they claim lasts 20 shaves) and just thought I'd give my thoughts on it.

Generally speaking, I've used the MEN-U brand before. I was pleased with what I got and liked how they break down their products into the amount of uses one can get out of it. For instance, it will say on the bottle that there are 100 uses or however many it is. This makes it easy to determine what is the 'correct' amount of product to use as per the manufacturers recommendations and also makes it easy to determine value and longevity. I can say that the other products I've used from MEN-U go quite far, requiring a small amount typically no more than a pea size amount.

This holds up with the shaving cream. For what its worth, I could see myself getting 20 shaves out of the tube though it would require being a little stingier with it than I would like. From my use, I'd probably get 15. Not bad for a tiny tube and a couple bucks.

Performance wise, the cream is suprisingly good. Slick and protective and weirdly good postshave (I would say better than Speick) that they claim is from the silicones in the formulation. The formulation is unfortunately where things turn for the worse. I prefer natural formulations with minimal alcohol and preservatives. This is full of synthetic ingredients and chemicals but is fortunately naturally scented. The lather is not as dense as Speick cream or TOBS but very similar to proraso. In fact I would say this is a better performer than proraso from my use. It does not take tonnes of water as you would expect but the resultant lather is still quite hydrated and somewhat silky. I do prefer lathers with more water though.

The scent is a tea-tree mint scent which comes from their respective oils within the formulation. Exactly as you would imagine. A somewhat medicinal refreshing mint and tea tree scent with mild mentholation. Its crisp and clear and is on the mild side so if you are put off by strong or complex scents this one will not offend. Does not have a chewing gum, breath freshner mint type smell. It is more herbacious.

Overall, an interesting product. I don't think I'd buy the larger bottle but the smaller tube is great for travel and will certainly make it into my toiletries bag. I've found sticks to be a little cumbersome and pointless in carrying around months and months of product when I only go away for a few weeks at a time anyway. I can recommend it. Quite good for the price.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sounds like a decent shaving cream. Thanks for the review and just wondering if you can add a photo or two of the product?

I've been meaning to get round to trying the MEN-U cream for ages as it's always available in my local Boots store. Can't fathom why I haven't yet so thanks for the reminder and the review :)

lasta

Blade Biter
When they say 20 shaves, they meant 20 one-pass shaves haha.

I usually need 3-4 squirts for a full 2.5-3 pass routine. No more concentrated than other creams to be honest, certainly less than Palmolive.

Smell? I do get herbal, minty, bubble gum...

When they say 20 shaves, they meant 20 one-pass shaves haha.

I usually need 3-4 squirts for a full 2.5-3 pass routine. No more concentrated than other creams to be honest, certainly less than Palmolive.

Smell? I do get herbal, minty, bubble gum...
I wholeheartedly disagree. I find it to quite a bit more product efficient than most if not all other creams I've used. Do you use a large knot brush?

Top Bottom