What's new

November 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD #17
- OUT -

There really is no place like home.
Back to my normal setup, albeit with a freshly a conditioned handle - Nirvana :LMS
  • *TOBS St James (SOTM)
  • Semogue Torga C3 Mistura
  • *Mühle R89
  • *Gillette Rubie Plus - 1
  • Adam Grooming's Kolonya Astringent
  • Adam Grooming's Post Shave Balm
* SWS

IMG_9703.JPG

Part of my shaving ritual is the sometimes feverish anticipation of the shave.
Not always feverish, sometimes I decide around noon what my gear will be.
But some days, as the hour of joy approaches, I start pacing in my head.
And switching options.
This may continue even till after I loaded a blade and I can change each item at the last moment, or some of it, or all of it.
I can relate!

Still out!

I was a bit too full of myself about making it through Black Friday. :thumbup: Salacious Saturday was fine too, but Shiny Sunday got me :facep:. I did happen upon a brush, which led to 20 razor blades and 2 alum blocks:confused:.

Still compared to last year, I marginally improved :).

25/28 no purchase days, and no purchases on the horizon! I think I will make the 27/30 goal!
IMG_20221128_132825.jpg

The New RFB was a November purchase that I have zero regrets about. It is such a terrific shaver. I especially notice the comfort AGT under chin and throat area!

Care to bore me with the story behind three (!) brushes too?! Or did two contain iridium bristles and you finally settled for the Sagrada Familia lurking in the background there? :biggrin1:. Switching during lathering - interesting.

Anyway great to read your self-confidence has been restored to its former glory and level. Perhaps the clamping abilities of the GC assisted in finding those levels again.

Way to go brother!

Guido
I just did it, to be certain the (new) soap would not be an issue in trying to tame the Iridium.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Well I'm out, made it 27 days on this restraint which for me is a record :facep:

The Black Friday/weekend sale at Pasteur's just proved to be too tempting. Purchased a couple of synths, a Simpson's Trafalgar T2 and Razorock Bruce. Which of course I didn't need. And then since I blew it I went ahead an ordered two bottles of Dragon's Milk a/s from CBL because that stuff smells amazing.

OK, I really am going to make it December :lol:

Had my second to last shave of the month this morning. I tried a slant for the first time. That was a very smooth comfortable shave! It'll take a couple more shaves to tell for sure. But I got a smooth and comfortable shave with no bloodletting. That's a great start!

My Greydog synthetic brush, ToBS Lavender cream, and Co9T rounded out things. We're almost done, gentlemen! Just the final couple days of filing up the cart before we can hit Buy Now!

Day 28
GRUBF...Still In
GRUME...Still Out
NOCvember
Muhle Monday
MdC Monday

PXL_20221128_162126362.jpg

Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
Gillette Platinum (28)
Muhle XL STF brush
MdC Rose soap

Hey Guys
First the good news. I had an excellent shave today. With good prep, lather and technique I achieved a DFS without any difficulty. I am getting close to my record for using the same blade- It is 29 or 30 so I will have to go to at least 31.
The Avon bowl was found at a thrift store a couple months ago. It worked fine but is a little small so it is returning to the kitchen.

Now to the bad news. I usually take a photo before I shave and send it to my desktop computer for editing. I forgot to bring the items in the house. Our charming cat Chloe had knocked everything off the rail. Thankfully nothing was broken but the brush was missing. I saw our dog Maggie in the yard chewing something and yes, it was the brush. Half the handle is gone and large tufts of the brush fibers are gone. I cleaned what remained and did manage to lather but sad to say, the brush is no longer usable. It's OK, but that was a mighty fine brush. I haven't asked Kathy to replace it (I'm still GRUMEing) but I think she is up to something good.

Take care of yourself and each other.

Well I'm out, made it 27 days on this restraint which for me is a record :facep:

The Black Friday/weekend sale at Pasteur's just proved to be too tempting. Purchased a couple of synths, a Simpson's Trafalgar T2 and Razorock Bruce. Which of course I didn't need. And then since I blew it I went ahead an ordered two bottles of Dragon's Milk a/s from CBL because that stuff smells amazing.

OK, I really am going to make it December :lol:
I can relate. The last time I went out of GRUME, it was for a visit to Pasteur...okay, two visits to Pasteur. But, hey, I live in California and I was in NYC, so...yeah.

Anyhoo, maybe you can rotate out a few brushes that (no longer) make the cut? In any case, I hope you find a new favorite in the bunch and, of course, we would love to see pictures! I do hope that we'll see you in December.

And so, it's time for...

Roll Call!

Hardcore: GRUNE (Gentlemanly Restraint Until November's End)
1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) Multum in flagrante - out (11/19: Shavemac gift)
3) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
4) Markdad2 - out (11/8: B&M soap)
5) @hopper_64 - No Shave November
6) JAHE - out (11/22: Shavemac knot)
7) tjsgarden - out (11/25: Soaps and ***)
8) @iver
9) @RookieGuy
10) @cryhavoc
11) @FL shaver
12) @Jayson74
13) @LJBraaten
14) Jack Goossen - out (11/8: Marvel)
15) linty1 - out (11/23: ???)
16) @silverlifter
17) Alum Ladd - out (11/5: RFB)
18) @Cranky James :(
19) @lasta
20) @Doti B
21) @Guido75
22) @VerbaVolant
23) @Roedeer
24) @Stuart Ganis
25) @SunShave
26) Trollky - out (11/14: DR Harriswhaling)
27) @sandorfi - SOTMC
28) @Chef455
29) JWCowboy - out (11/28: Brushwhaling)
30) @Buflow
31) @pow0622

Softcore: GRUBF (Gentlemanly Restraint Until Black Friday)
1) @La Malice - out (success to BF)
2) Balin - out (11/1: Brushes)
3) @MaineYooper - out (success to BF)
4) ChriWilson - out (11/24: Balm)
5) @Contact_vs_Feedback - out (success to BF)

Day 28, 93.3% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Enhancement: a few drops of glycerine
Brush: Vulfix Simpson Small Synthetic
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Re-tried a brush that I bought last year, but didn't take to. It works fine, but the size makes it too droppable to be ideal. It would make a good travel brush.

Got a comfortable near-BBS with a fresh Astra green.

Well past BF out

GRUBF 16 of 18
SOTM 16 of 18
NOCvember too 16 out of 18

Razor: Merkur 34 HD C
Blade: GSB (2)
Soap: Nivea for Men Mild Shaving Cream
Brush: Proraso Boar
AS: Clubman Pinaud + Dove Men Care balm

Looks like I will be missing 1 shave compared to the expectation for this month.

3 days worth of growth. 1st Pass took care of must everything, 2nd pass left a few stubbles in the chin trouble spot and base of the neck. 3rd pass got me where I wanted. 2nd and 3rd were not full pass but just buffing out the trouble area.

A nick on the chin a bit of non lasting irritation there too. I will work in the next few weeks on taking care of this spot as I have been struggling with it for the last few bit.

Top Bottom