What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Went for another round - this time Irving Farm 71 House in the Bunn Phase Brew. I thought @Arbor Man might appreciate my wife’s mug.
A5E43B3F-D97F-4788-ADBD-F493E21021CB.jpeg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The problem with JBM is that there are too many fakes out there- or JBM blends (like the stuff I used to really like from Costco)- for me to take a gamble on it. The "cheap" certified authentic stuff runs around $100 a pound on-line but who knows if that's real or not unless you buy directly from the farms in person. I'll just stick with what I know is good. :)
I remember it was pricey, but our clientele was wealthy. 😆

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The problem with JBM is that there are too many fakes out there- or JBM blends (like the stuff I used to really like from Costco)- for me to take a gamble on it. The "cheap" certified authentic stuff runs around $100 a pound on-line but who knows if that's real or not unless you buy directly from the farms in person. I'll just stick with what I know is good. :)
I agree with this. I only buy from a few places that i trust and only small quantities. I roasted this for thanksgiving and will suffer through it because of what it is, but I’m still pretty ticked at myself for screwing up the roast.

I agree with this. I only buy from a few places that i trust and only small quantities. I roasted this for thanksgiving and will suffer through it because of what it is, but I’m still pretty ticked at myself for screwing up the roast.
What's missing because of the light roast? The chocolate or floral/berry notes? Is it more acidic tasting?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
What's missing because of the light roast? The chocolate or floral/berry notes? Is it more acidic tasting?
It’s strange, but it comes across acidic but then has a bitter aftertaste. I need to mess with the grind a little. My grinder is set up for a darker roast so it may be getting a little under extracted. It’s drinkable as it is, just not what I was looking for.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I did that to an Ethiopian Decaf once. 🤢
(thought I knew what I was doing, turned out I didn't)
I’ve roasted the JBM before but for some reason didn’t look at my roasting notes. I had it in my head, don’t know why, that it needed a very light roast so I pulled it right after 1st crack. My previous roasts have all been pulled 45sec- 1min after 1st crack. Lesson learned- always check previous roast notes.

I’ve roasted the JBM before but for some reason didn’t look at my roasting notes. I had it in my head, don’t know why, that it needed a very light roast so I pulled it right after 1st crack. My previous roasts have all been pulled 45sec- 1min after 1st crack. Lesson learned- always check previous roast notes.
That's frustrating when that happens, but at least you had it going right and just got trigger happy. My leading cause for under roasting is going into FC without enough heat and stalling the roast. Then having to pull it because it isn't going to go any further. I have some Huehuetenango that I recently roasted, even looked through my log, that just didn't go how I wanted or expected. I decided to wait to post about it until I see if it's even drinkable...

Oh yeah, everybody else, I am finishing up the Bali natural and strange as this coffee is compared to other coffees, it's been great and really consistent!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Another Monday another week folks, hope it's a good one for all. A cup of the oso negro through the clever again. My last time I thought was a bit... weak? I thought I had dialed it in good, but decided to tighten the grind. Better, no bitterness... I think I'll go finer next time again.

Happy final days of 'no spend November' my coffee slurping friends! I am drinking a mix of the second and third batch of a Guatemala Huehuetenango that I roasted 3 days ago in the small v60, they both came out the same luckily. The first batch didn't go well as mentioned above and I think I am going to take a loss on that. These other two are fine, not my preference, but drinkable.

Good afternoon you caffeinated gentleman of utmost, but possibly questionable integrity (I don’t know?)! It was some Peets Major Dickasons ground up a little coarse in the drip brewer today. Have a great day lads. ✌️
Are you implying that I am perusing B&B in the break room at a Buy Here/Pay Here used car lot?! :cursing:
Just kidding around, have a great shave/have a great day!

Top Bottom