Synthetic Sundays

PXL_20221123_144904323.jpg

Hot shower, cold splashes and glycerine soap
Muhle Rocca Birch Bark
Gillette Platinum (22)
Muhle XL STF brush
MdC Rose

Hey Guys
Its always nice to spend time with family and do special things different from the daily routine but there comes a time when "hey it's good to be back home again" as John Denver would say.
Kathy and I and our two puppies spent 15 hours on the road to get home. We thought about a motel but when we left North Carolina, we knew we wanted to be home and arrived late and tired. I didn't feel like a shave last night.

But guess what, today, we slept in late and it is a new day! I missed posting on a few threads so I am playing catch up with all you guys.

I used Glyce lime soap and a quick application of thick Mdc for pre-shave prep. The soap developed a beautiful lather that still had a shiny sheen to it ten minutes later. I spent extra time sliding, gliding and having a good time. (Do some of us remember the old cartridge days when shaving was a chore?). I ended up with a DFS and am still enjoying it as I write...and it's good to be back home again!

"Take care of yourself and each other." as Lester Holt says.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S., but I try to be grateful on a daily basis.

GRUME...Still Out, day 27
GRUBFing...Still In
Synthetic Sundays
NOCvember

PXL_20221127_145506198.MP.jpg

Pre: Shower and cold splashes; PAA 2.0 cube
Rockwell 6S, plate 4 (with shorter EJ89 handle)
Gillette Platinum (26)
Omega Evo 2.0
Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Post: Cold splashes, Lucky Tiger Face Tonic and moisturizers

Hey Guys,
I decided to use one of LJ's, (@LJBraaten) favorite brands of soap today. The PAA glycerine bar combined with a nice lather and no pressure strokes worked toward an enjoyable DFS. The blade is holding up good and I enjoyed the shorter handle on the razor. It felt like I had greater and more precise control.
Onward!

Date
365 days of shaving334/330
(100%)
GRUME27/30 (100%)
NOCvember
27/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handleBolzano (7)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in! The final days of this GRUME are in sight!!

Inspired by Doug's (@Rosseforp) post on the Flat Bottom Tech - Wolfman comparison I got my Tech out for an excellent Sunday shave. With three passes to an almost marble finish my Flat Bottom Tech reigned supreme and let me know that even though there is a new king in town, this golden oldie still has a lot to offer. I have to admit that the Timeless did an outstanding job yesterday and so we started the day with less stubble than usual.

The Bolzano was on its 7th run which exceeds the first Bolzano blade and it was super smooth in the Tech. No troubles at all and the Gillette Slides were simply bliss to perform. So far great performance of this Discovery Blade at the gracious courtesy of @Space_Cadet and @Grundi.

Proraso provided a nice mentholated chill with each pass. Floïd's stang a little telling me this was a close shave and Nivea put the skin back at ease.

Have a nice day everyone.

Date
365 days of shaving334/330
(100%)
GRUME27/30 (100%)
NOCvember
27/30 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve (1)
Gillette Slide (2)
(NW-SE | cheeks & S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette EFBT with Blue Lasta handleBolzano (7)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather
Floïd's The Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in! The final days of this GRUME are in sight!!

Inspired by Doug's (@Rosseforp) post on the Flat Bottom Tech - Wolfman comparison I got my Tech out for an excellent Sunday shave. With three passes to an almost marble finish my Flat Bottom Tech reigned supreme and let me know that even though there is a new king in town, this golden oldie still has a lot to offer. I have to admit that the Timeless did an outstanding job yesterday and so we started the day with less stubble than usual.

The Bolzano was on its 7th run which exceeds the first Bolzano blade and it was super smooth in the Tech. No troubles at all and the Gillette Slides were simply bliss to perform. So far great performance of this Discovery Blade at the gracious courtesy of @Space_Cadet and @Grundi.

Proraso provided a nice mentholated chill with each pass. Floïd's stang a little telling me this was a close shave and Nivea put the skin back at ease.

Have a nice day everyone.
Is that a German or Egyptian Bolzano?

According to the thread information these are German Bolzano’s. But I also read that some cannot tell the difference between German or Egyptian ones and others swear by German ones.

They are likeable and for me there are also better blades out there.

Guido

GRUME, day 4...Still In! 💪
Synthetic Sundays

PXL_20221204_143324523.jpg

Gillette Slim-setting 4
Wizamet Super Iridium SS (1)
B&M Cheshire
Simpson Trafalgar T3
DoveMen+Care cream, Hydro Boost and hyaluronic acid

Day 4

It has been a while since I used the Slim...and it was VERY nice to use a new smooth razor blade.
I am still experimenting with the soap. I developed a low sheen lather and there was a good glide and slickness but next time I will add a little more hydration. I am in the habit of leaving the lid off the soap container for a couple hours and Cheshire may be my favorite "den scent". It was nice to use a synthetic brush in the mix of this 'boarish' month.

Take care of yourself and each other.

Date
365 days of shaving341/337
(100%)
GRUME December4/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide (2nd pass)
(NW-SE | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC with Red Lasta Handle
Timor (5)
Razorock 400 Plissoft
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
TGS Furiah
Proraso
Cold splash
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

I decided to give Furiah another chance seeing that it’s winter now. The scent is much better for this time of year and the lather was really nice, soft and slick. The Razorock turned it into a lather party. Excellent brush!
:001_wub:

Perfect way to start Sunday - well we’re heading towards Monday here already, but ok.

Additional shave notes can be found here

Date
365 days of shaving348/344
(100%)
GRUME December11/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Flat Tech
Gillette Wilkinson (2)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (One weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Second shave with the Gillette Wilkinson blade. I kept other players the same, except for the brush and the handle in my Tech. This shaves was indeed more comfortable / less harsh to the skin. Not the sharpest blade for my beard so I needed quite some buffing to get to DFS/BBS level - which is where I ended up in the end. There is a flip side to this less sharper blade and that is its comfort. No irritation on the neck whatsoever.

The Tech keeps performing and by Doug’s assessment I have effectively shaved with the original Wolfman WR2 - so that’s a plus!

I came to the realisation that I overloaded my brush today and yesterday - hence the dryer lather. I did 15-20 seconds of loading which is far more than I usually do (not that I am monitoring that precisely, but ok).

Enjoy your shave today!

Still Strong! 💪
Synthetic Sundays!

PXL_20221211_144329106.jpg

Shiny Stainless Steel Six-S System (setting six!)
Super sharp SS skin stubble slicer (seven)
Simpson synthetic slatherer
(S)ella super slick soft sheen shaving soap

Salutations

Satisfying smooth simple Sunday shaving success!

Stay Safe!

Last edited:
GRUME...💪
Synthetic Sundays!
DecemBOAR the 18th (not today)

PXL_20221218_142321861.jpg

Rockwell 6S, R4 plate (with Jagger D89 handle)
Nacet (5)
Razorock Big Bruce
Stirling Scots Pine Sheep

It's chilly in our neck of the woods!

Kathy and I are doing a skit at Church this morning so a little earlier start. Our characters are called Pearl (like Minnie Pearl) and I am her sophisticated, suave and debonaire (country bumpkin) husband Delbert.

Shaving has been so BOARing lately so Synthetic Sundays! is a nice change of pace. I face lathered and used a water mister to get the water content nice and slick. This is a nice combo and "Delbert" is going to look mighty fancy today.

Please take care of yourself and each other...Onward!

Top Bottom