What's new

Is the Safety Razor Fad Over?

The cheap twin disposable shaves WAY BETTER than any DE razor I’ve ever tried.
YMMV for me and even for regular shavers I spoke with (who usually use top of the line carts like Fusion power xyz system) disposables are the worst of shaving industry - dull, inefficient but still can bite you and after few uses are useless. And I’m not even talking environmental side of it.
Good that you find them usable but if I would have to return to carts, it would definitely never be these cheap ones… I still remember how bad was shaving with them.

YMMV for me and even for regular shavers I spoke with (who usually use top of the line carts like Fusion power xyz system) disposables are the worst of shaving industry - dull, inefficient but still can bite you and after few uses are useless. And I’m not even talking environmental side of it.
Good that you find them usable but if I would have to return to carts, it would definitely never be these cheap ones… I still remember how bad was shaving with them.
I only had any real experience with the Trac II back in the 70's and I think I remember that they were OK and more forgiving than my experience with DEs in those days. I had the opportunity to try a Mach 3 razor and carts recently when we discovered an unopened box with the razor handle, 4 carts, and some sort of canned Gillette goo that burst into foam. I thought the Mach 3 was OK for a full shave but not with the Gillette canned product. My only use for these products now (I keep a bag of no name twin blade disposables on hand for this), is cleaning off a stray whisker that I missed during my shave. For that use, they're unbeatable IMO.

Inflation may provide a bit of a bump as cartridge prices continue to rise. Using straight razors, I don't even have to buy blades; just an occasional 12 pack of ARKO.

Being a long standing member of B.U.G.S, Brotherhood of Unscented Gentlemen Shavers - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/brotherhood-of-unscented-gentlemen-shavers.558588/ you'll understand... I tried ARKO once. I went running from the bathroom. I couldn't get away from it. hehehe

I only had any real experience with the Trac II back in the 70's and I think I remember that they were OK and more forgiving than my experience with DEs in those days. I had the opportunity to try a Mach 3 razor and carts recently when we discovered an unopened box with the razor handle, 4 carts, and some sort of canned Gillette goo that burst into foam. I thought the Mach 3 was OK for a full shave but not with the Gillette canned product. My only use for these products now (I keep a bag of no name twin blade disposables on hand for this), is cleaning off a stray whisker that I missed during my shave. For that use, they're unbeatable IMO.
I never used Mach3 but I used Fusion, Fusion Power (glide or whatever), Bulldog cartridge from Wilkinson Sword and also few no-name multiblades and disposables like Gillette Blue II etc from a grocery store. I would say Fusion is ok for mindless quick CCS shave even with whatever goo for me. But once you aim for BBS thinkg change a little bit. I have to go ATG and going ATG with multiblade on my neck after several shaves with that particular cartridge is painfully bad. I can even draw some blood on my neck because of how light hand is and how dull cart becomes.
I think same can be said about some DEs but thing is that anyone can find perfect como of blade-soap(cream)-razor just for them While there is not too much of difference in cartridge system at leasy not in Europe. You either have top of the line P&G products or complete garbage.

All that and then I found R41 and realized how BBS really looks like.. but that is a different story 🤠

I go back and forth between single blade and cartridge razors every few months or so. Both types work well for me, but I'm pretty picky about my cartridges. These days, I only use the Trac II, the Gillette Guard, or the Bic 5 Hybrid (the only cartridge razor with more than two blades that I like). I've yet to use a disposable razor (with the exception of the disposable version of thee Bic 5 Hybrid) that is any good, but there's too much waste involved with disposables for my taste.

I can pretty much go into any store near me and pick up DE blades, a razor, soap, or a brush if I need one. It may not be the fancy stuff, but it's available and usable. If the "fad" keeps the workman-like products available, I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
Time is precious for the working class; DE and SR shaving takes effort and extra time so yeah it’s pretty much dead with the younger generation. Old timers and retirees who have nothing but time to burn can afford to spend 20-30 minutes playing around the sink. Even changing a DE blade would challenge many young folks; they want to hit a button and click on a new cartridge, squirt some goo, smear, and shave in 3 minutes or less with amazing results.
I was telling a co-worker about DE shaving and soap/brush combs etc...his response was "I don't have the time." So...yep.

I was telling a co-worker about DE shaving and soap/brush combs etc...his response was "I don't have the time." So...yep.
It's really so sad. I'm always pressed for time in the mornings and I probably spend no more than 5 minutes doing a DE shave.

Exactly; no need for any facts...look at all the wet shaving products on the shelves stateside. Almost zip; why? Because the stuff doesn't move or generate profit margins.

It's the speed thing, especially in blade changing and manual handling. It's obviously been on the mind of companies and consumers for 90 years.

The idea of manually handling a 'razor' sharp naked blade creeps out a lot of people, especially younger ones.

Colonel Schick invented the self loading razor in the 20's. His early versions were maybe the most ambitious. A blade magazine in the razor. Amazing. The designs were a little complex and the G2 and G3 and the later Schick loaders were less ambitious but still very advanced.

Gillette tried the unicorn Techmatic in 1946-7, basically the same idea. Load a razor with minimum fuss and risk and at maximum speed. The Speedpak loading idea was a watered down version. It helped because you didn't have to handle the blade as much. Faster shaves, with the K2 brushless cream in '47 and the first canned foam in '52.

The DE razor is like the biplane fighter in the 1930's with the monoplane coming onto the scene. For monoplane read cartridge razors in the 70's. The biplane was outdated, more manoeverable and a delight to fly, sure. But the monoplane was much faster and could carry more guns (read blades)

The modern, expensive 'artisan' razors are biplanes made with exotic metals and computer aided craftsmanship, but they are still an obsolescent technology. More power to those who use them however.

Myself, I love vintages. The feel they give me of using them, the huge historical vibe and almost mystical connection with past users, and the unmatched results I can achieve. But they are part of a relaxed vibe, when I have no pressure of time and a relaxed mindset.

But if I am stressed and/or I was in work, with 30 minutes to get out the door with a possible hangover, I would probably reach for a Trac 2 or Mach 3, the best carts ever made. With a brush and some shave stick or cream you will still get a DFS++ with 2 passes and touchups, at maybe 10 minutes max if using DE shaving techniques. I achieve that regularly.

Weekends and downtime, the DE rules. If at work or pressed for time in the AM, a night-time DE shave is the answer if I had the choice of the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Ehh... I dunno I don't think there is a compilation of data that will provide an authoritive answer. I DO think that wet shaving is part of a larger vintage/traditionalist fad that has sprung up and matured in recent years. Pipe smoking, automatic watches, fountain pens, and a number of other older 19th-20th century tools have seen a significant resurgence in recent years. I do believe this was not driven by millennials and the younger generations. There are still plenty of boomers and Gen Xers around to continue this trend, and older generations tend to carry fads longer and further than younger ones. I do believe nostalgia wears off some with time either way.

On the flip side, there are plenty in the younger generation who may turn to traditional wet shaving (including the use of DEs and SRs) as a means to save money and to reduce waste. I would dance carefully around the "reducing waste" we all tout as a benefit of traditional shaving. Sure, DE blades take up less landfill space (and ultimately can be recycled), this benefit is greatly oversold imo. I doubt it takes much more energy and resources to produce an injection molded plastic cartridge with steel blades than it does to produce a DE blade. The money saving aspect is real. Very real if you're disciplined. It's why I started traditional set shaving 15 years ago and it stuck. And I've still likely saved money in the long run. But not a whole lot. Rabbit holes and all...

All this to say.... ehh, who knows?

I don’t know for sure why I’m mentioning this, but I figured it was worth something to someone. You ever notice when you hit your local pharmacy or box store and visit the shaving section? Usually everything is out of place, knocked over, containers opened… you get the idea.

It’s like there’s zero care taken in the upkeep of the shaving aisle. Get in, grab what you need and get out. Mindless chore with modernized products.

Then there’s the brick and mortar stores that carry the labelled “classic” shaving items. Soaps, razors, aftershaves. You ever notice the state of that set up? Clean, organized, set up with pride.

I wouldn’t consider safety razors , or shaving with them a “fad” so much as I would suggest that it’s a discipline. A life skill that we’ve taken the time to learn and appreciate. A little extra pride if I may. My humble opinion is the sale of aforementioned items on the BST is a mix of those that are interested in new (to them) tools to further their skills, and a few that are no longer interested in having more than they need.

Just my observation.

B.

The general feeling I have regarding most modern cartridge razors is that they seem not much different than disposable ones. The manufacturer essentially gives away a cheap plastic handle and hopes to sell lots of cartridges. When I used these, the clips that held the cartridge to the handle broke fairly easily and I ended up replacing the handle every few years.

I have no data to support it, but my guess is that many who use cartridge razors look at them as essentially disposable (at least I did). My attitude toward my DE razors is different; there's an element of "pride of ownership" regarding these nice tools that I get to enjoy.

Been a long while since I've been here... recognize a handful but otherwise I don't know most names I'm seeing. Does that say anything about the 'Fad'? Anyway, I'll throw some words out since it's been awhile. I'll stay with 'traditional' as my skin likes it, and really, it's not THAT much more time if you're only shaving, meaning just do what you gotta do and not mess about playing with things for enjoyment. I use a brush, usually either Godrej cream lately or Arko soap, and plain old Aqua Velva. Once my razor has a new blade, which takes like 30 seconds than it's in for the week. Playing with a can of goo on my face takes like 4 or 5 minutes, and so does a quick bowl lather and lathering my face so no difference there really. DE is a tad slower, maybe 3 or 4 minutes longer than say a Gillette Guard or something. So realistically the difference for me between DE and Cartridge is maybe 4 minutes. I have a really really busy life and plenty of commuting and I've nod had a problem with time. I'm sure once the 'Hobby' calms down and it becomes just shaving with what you prefer, than really, what's another 4 minutes?

One of the statements I have seen regarding cartridge razors is that they are faster. My pre-shave prep was pretty poor when I used carts, so for me using carts was faster because I spent nearly zero time on pre-shave prep. However, with proper pre-shave prep, I don't think shaving with a cartridge razor is substantially faster for me than shaving with a DE razor.

On the issue of traditional wet shaving being too slow, remember that generations of men have completed their pre-work shave with a de before the introduction of cartridges. This morning in fact I have shaved with a Flare Tip Rocket in 5 minutes, here is how I shave quickly:

• Either skip the Pre-Shave or just throw cold water in your face, your objective is sas or ccs not bbs.

• Use a good quality synthetic brush, they dont need to be soaked, just quickly run under a cold tap plus they dry quickly.

• Face lathering is in my experience much faster than bowl lathering plus the lather doesn't need to be perfect, good enough is good enough.

•Shaving cream is faster to apply than hard soap, if you have to apply hard soap use one that lathers quickly, such as Mitchell's Wool Fat.

•either only use a single wtg pass or add a second xtg pass.

• for post shave just throw some cold water in your face, dry & apply your chosen balm, alum blocks are only to be used if you are cut.

Oh and as previously mentioned leave the blade in all week, or if you have to change blades than use a tto.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not sure about all this time saving stuff. If you really need to save a few minutes by using cartridge razor, then I suspect you have more pressing problems over and above shaving. Anyone who is truly 'that' busy is heading for a stress ulcer at best and an early grave at worst. Perhaps set your alarm five minutes earlier and sort the rest of your life out 👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I am not sure about all this time saving stuff. If you really need to save a few minutes by using cartridge razor, then I suspect you have more pressing problems over and above shaving. Anyone who is truly 'that' busy is heading for a stress ulcer at best and an early grave at worst. Perhaps set your alarm five minutes earlier and sort the rest of your life out 👍
I used Gillette cartridges from 1973 until I got into traditional wet shaving back in March of this year.. I just didn't know any better. I had adequate shaves with cartridges but nothing that lasted 10 to 12 hours... and the shaves were frightfully boring.

Top Bottom