What's new

S.K. Colling Straight Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.) Review

I decided that I wanted a new straight razor and began shopping around. I was really torn by the idea of buying one from a maker I already possessed or getting something else. After searching on this forum, I contact Steve Colling Log into Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/steveandkelcolling at S.K. Colling Razor (AKA Prosperine Razor Co.). The S.K. probably stands for Steven and Kelly (his wife). He was very responsive to my email and my incessant questions. I appreciated it. I discussed what I wanted and we settled on a price, which was a lot better than the maker I was going to buy from. He told me to pay him when he finished the razor.

He didn't waste any time. He got right on the razor. I ordered a Spanish Point, 6/8, with Paua Shell scales. Paua is a type of abolone that is native to Australia and it is a remarkable blue with deep opalescence in it. The colors shift and change with the angle and the light. In a day or so I got an email with this picture:

It was late and he said he would put it together the next day. After that, I got more pictures once it was completed, among them were these:

I paid him and he immediately shipped the razor to me. The entire time took two and half days from ordering to shipping.

I waited impatiently and finally the razor arrived on my Thanksgiving/Thursday the 24th. I had already shaved so I couldn't shave again and had to wait. I opened the box and I found this:

This razor is so beautiful I didn't want to touch it for fear I might mar it. The fully hollow ground blade from tip to tang is highly mirror polished and the workmanship is flawless. It is a really nicely done hollow grind, too. The scales can't be photographed as the colors and shifting do not come through at all. I can't begin to tell how please I was when I saw it.

Today, I got out my Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap and this razor. I stropped it fifty times on my buffalo leather strop. I was surprised and happy that the razor sang to me as I stropped it! Sing, sing, sing, it went. It was even better than my Singing Hollow razor. I shaved with it and it was shave ready right from Steve Colling. The razor is so well balanced and the shape so well done I have to admit to having a lot of confidence. It was easy to control and maneuver. After I finished shaving, I did two passes, I noted that I had a near BBS shave.

I am quite happy with the product and the service that I got from S.K. Colling Straight Razor Company.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Lovely razor. Congratulations.

I had a long wait to receive my Colling SR. Glad to hear that Steve has sorted his communications out. He made a wonderful SR that I considered on parr with Ralf Aust. Here is my custom made Colling SR with a full Spanish point:

IMG_20220419_122500.jpg

IMG_20220419_122620.jpg

@Straight up also has a custom Colling SR that he raves about.

Steve has some readymade new SRs on eBay priced in the USD 140 to USD 170 range. Just search for Colling razor.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A 7/8”, french point, half hollow with blue paua scales would look fantastic.
That can be easily done. With or without jimping, do you want the toe muted, what about surface finish. Decisions decisions. Life is full of stress.

I'm thinking of getting another Colling; full hollow, ⅝, American (square) point not muted, thumb notch, no jimping, blue paua scales in classic shape. Either that or an 8" x 2" dark black Ark. Don't know which should come first. The Colling SR would be cheaper (including shipping).

Last edited:
That can be easily done. With or without jimping, do you want the toe muted, what about surface finish. Decisions decisions. Life is full of stress.

I'm thinking of getting another Colling; full hollow, ⅝, American (square) point not muted, thumb notch, no jimping, blue paua scales in classic shape. Either that or an 8" x 2" dark black Ark. Don't know which should come first. The Colling SR would be cheaper (including shipping).
Mirror finish, no jimps and muted toe. That would be hot.

I’d get the Ark if I was you. I’ve found that all of my well honed razors shave the same. They may feel different in the hand but after a few minutes you get used to them. The type of finishing stone seems to have a far greater impact on the quality of the shave than the razor it’s used on.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I’d get the Ark if I was you. I’ve found that all of my well honed razors shave the same. They may feel different in the hand but after a few minutes you get used to them. The type of finishing stone seems to have a far greater impact on the quality of the shave than the razor it’s used on.
I very much agree with you there. I would only be buying the Colling because of looks and looks don't shave.

All my SRs shave well. It's just that they each have their own personality. All part of the enjoyment. My biggest shaving stress is having to choose which SR to shave with each morning. If one SR feels like it's being neglected, next time I shave with it, it will bite me!

Last edited:
I very much agree with you there. I would only be buying the Colling because of looks and looks don't shave.

All my SRs shave well. It's just that they each have their own personality. All part of the enjoyment. My biggest shaving stress is having to choose which SR to shave with each morning. If one SR feels like it's being neglected, next time I shave with it, it will bite me!
I like to view those love bites as a sign of affection. My ERN crown and sword bit me the first time I picked it up to inspected it at an antique shop. I couldn’t let it go after that. Love at first sight!

If these razors are of sound quality, it would be nice to support an Australian maker.

I like to view those love bites as a sign of affection. My ERN crown and sword bit me the first time I picked it up to inspected it at an antique shop. I couldn’t let it go after that. Love at first sight!

If these razors are of sound quality, it would be nice to support an Australian maker.
This razor is every bit as nice as my Thiers Issard and H. Diamond. The polish is flawless and the blade fits perfectly in the scales.

One thing I like about mine is that it likes to sing to me when I strop and some when I shave.

It looks like he uses the same steel as Dovo - carbon steel 1.2210, HRC 61. Perhaps he gets his blanks from Dovo? I don't think he can make his own, given his price point. I would be very interested in knowing his process.

Top Bottom