What's new

TTO or 3 piece?

A very subjective question from the newbie for all you safety razor users. What is your preference and why, TTO type or 3 piece screw together?

I use and enjoy both.
- TTO for ease (and safer) blade handling.
- three-piece (or 4 piece) for lower head profile and 'cleaner' stylistic appearance. Not many comb razors are TTO

I started with TTOs. A '59 FatBoy that I bought in 1990. I very rarely use them now. When I reach for a DE, I reach for a multi-piece.

I started with TTOs. A '59 FatBoy that I bought in 1990. I very rarely use them now. When I reach for a DE, I reach for a multi-piece.

Similar here. I've got a few TTOs, but I mostly use 2 piece Merkurs or 3 piece Gillettes. I've PIF'd or traded a few TTOs away because I just don't use them anymore.

As long as the blade sits firmly and straight in the razor I really have no prefrence towards either.

Regards,

Jakob

I've been using a 3-piece Slant for a couple of weeks now. Tomorrow, I'll switch to a Fatboy. In other words, I like them both.

I like them both and seem to be going through phases of using one type for a while and going back the other way.

As general rule, the TTOs don't shave as well under the nose, or require a bit more effort to get the hairs right under the nostrils. I have also come to appreciate the open comb design on the three piece razors.

As i only get good shaves with gillette open combs , i use 3 pieces razors

Also the razor's head seems more heavy with tto system and i dont like that .

No, just curious about people who use D/E razors.

Understood, sorry if my post sounded snotty. To answer your question a little more seriously, I find TTOs neat, from a mechanical perspective, but I get a closer shave from an open-comb 2-or-3 piece.

I prefer the 3 piece design, I find the TTO razors to be be overly complex and bulky. I have some TTO razors that I really like, but I would get rid of all of them before I got rid of a single 3 piece (although my 2 piece Merkur would be the first to go).

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I prefer the 3 piece design, I find the TTO razors to be be overly complex and bulky. I have some TTO razors that I really like, but I would get rid of all of them before I got rid of a single 3 piece (although my 2 piece Merkur would be the first to go).

I prefer 3-piece due to the lower profile head.

Similar here. I've got a few TTOs, but I mostly use 2 piece Merkurs or 3 piece Gillettes. I've PIF'd or traded a few TTOs away because I just don't use them anymore.

+1

I loved the TTO system when I started. It's great, easy and quick. A 3 pieces is just as quick and easy, you just need to be a bit careful! My Bull Mastiff handle wouldn't fit a TTO anyways :biggrin:

The TTO's are fun to use, convenient and safe. I love my Superspeeds and my Aristocrat. But, I also love my Merkur 38C and, although it is a little more "clinical" in use, I usually get my best results with it.

I suppose that means its a draw.

:kyle1:

Top Bottom