What's new

Classic Lighters

One problem with Zippos and the like is the evaporation of the lighter fluid. It doesn't stick around long with the "soaked wad of cotton and nothing else" type containment of the fluid. All old Ronson wick-and-fluid lighters have pretty good screw-on caps that prevent most of that leakage or evaporation. I particularly like the Cygnus Penguin lighters, but they aren't much good for pipes -- frankly not many wick-and-fluid lighters are. They're basically for cigarettes, but with technique they do OK on cigars.

Hey -- Anybody ever see a Parker lighter? The one I have is a table lighter, and I really like it. It's from the same company that made Parker writing instruments - from Janesville WI, now long gone. I cannot provide a photo because my winter living arrangements will separate me from that lighter till the snow melts. You might be able to find an image somewhere on the net. It's a good handfull, not a big gaudy thing, straight up and conservative. It's real basic art deco and looks great on my desk without being obtrusive.

Cheers!

My favorite lighter.....

20221101_093043.jpg

Hey -- Anybody ever see a Parker lighter? The one I have is a table lighter, and I really like it. It's from the same company that made Parker writing instruments - from Janesville WI, now long gone. I cannot provide a photo because my winter living arrangements will separate me from that lighter till the snow melts. You might be able to find an image somewhere on the net. It's a good handfull, not a big gaudy thing, straight up and conservative. It's real basic art deco and looks great on my desk without being obtrusive.

Cheers!

Table lighters were in many homes well into the 1960's and 70's. Some really interesting designs too.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I bought a yellow flame and an arc zippo insert, and have been trying them.
The arc lighter is completely useless for a pipe. I have my doubts it would even be useful for a cigar. You essentially have to put the end of what you are lighting right into the arc beams, which is a very narrow shallow opening.
It's kind of cool, and recharges via USB, but honestly not very practical.
The yellow flame insert works quite well. The flame is adjustable and I had no difficulty lighting my pipes.
The geometry is quite different from a Corona though.
With a Corona or other side type flame, it is intuitive that the lighter is out of the way.
With the top exit on the Zippo, I did have to turn the lighter sideways and I also found it easier to tilt the pipe.
It works just fine though, and is a nice, inexpensive refillable alternative to a Bic disposable.
I'll mention that the Zippo butane insert uses flints for the spark rather than a piezoelectric igniter.
Not an issue at all, the Corona does as well.
If you're used to a Corona, the Zippo takes a second to get used to.
If you're a disposable butane lighter guy, this is a natural more classy alternative to the plastic Bics.

Legion

Staff member
Table lighters were in many homes well into the 1960's and 70's. Some really interesting designs too.
I remember my parents having a cool 70’s on in the lounge room, next to a matching cigarette box. And my grandparents had a nice Art Deco silver plated one on their coffee table.

Reactions: ctr
I have a few lighters, I have a huge soft spot for the Ronson lighters esp the fluid filled ones. Also collected a few cigarette cases as well, they can be useful for cigar tools along with a lighter on top. The Ronson’s have the wind guards in them and the Nimrod works great!

Larry

429083BB-1468-4F04-8D14-5394D5988DC3.jpeg

BEAF462D-70BA-4C87-87B4-5CB07F67529D.jpeg

Just took delivery of this beaut today. Bought used off eBay for a decent price. Shipped from Lithuania and took 1 month to find its destination.

IM Corona Old Boy. Started researching this lighter due to the many positive comments from fellow BL members.

I got caught unprepared because I was not expecting it today so I placed an order for Colibri butane, which was also recommended on here.

4FD65F99-C599-4F71-945A-34153D541D5A.jpeg

Just took delivery of this beaut today. Bought used off eBay for a decent price. Shipped from Lithuania and took 1 month to find its destination.

IM Corona Old Boy. Started researching this lighter due to the many positive comments from fellow BL members.

I got caught unprepared because I was not expecting it today so I placed an order for Colibri butane, which was also recommended on here.

View attachment 1557895
You'll like it. A bit more wind susceptible than some, but provides a great charring light.

As always, you guys are really bad influences. I just ordered a Zippo "soft yellow" insert for my Zippo because I'm tired of the fuel evaporating and the thing being empty when I want it. I'm also chasing a couple of Nimrods because those things seal, so I'm guessing the fuel evaporation will be reduced or eliminated.

As always, you guys are really bad influences. I just ordered a Zippo "soft yellow" insert for my Zippo because I'm tired of the fuel evaporating and the thing being empty when I want it. I'm also chasing a couple of Nimrods because those things seal, so I'm guessing the fuel evaporation will be reduced or eliminated.

Been a while since I lost my nimrod but seem to recall they evaporated more than the Zippo. But hard to be certain.

I received the Zippo yellow flame insert already (Amazon next day). Generally I like it. There's no ability to adjust the flame size, but the flame is big so it's fine for a cigar. The button that releases the gas is a little small, so it's easy for your thumb to come off of it, which is likely the source of some of the complaints that the lighter doesn't work.

I did some experimentation of the lighters that I recently acquired, nimrod lasted 3 days after full refill, Beattie Jet lighter (1 week after 5 lights per day for the later design), I now have a Beattie Jet lighter first edition (lasted 2 weeks, 5 lights per day), I now also have a Rogers Jet lighter (lasted 2 weeks), and the leader is 1955 Zippo w/original insert (2 1/2 weeks)

The Beattie first edition had a better nickel/chrome finish and feels heavier than the later model. The Rogers is an awesome lighter and is the same exact size as a zippo which is great in your pocket and lighter in comparison to the Beattie. Down side of the Rogers is when you strike it the flame heats the tip right away starting the jet flame quickly and the guard kinda gets in the way of the side shooting action when tipped which sometimes breaks the flame up. To stop that you have to gently tip the Rogers and keep the vertical flame on the tip. The Beattie you have to tip it a bit which gives you more control and allows it to be a better dual purpose lighter. You can go full 90 degrees on a Beattie, just have to watch the cover because it will heat up. All of them are interesting and fun to use. So far I’ve only used the Beattie on a corn cob that I have and it quickly lit the bowl and accurately in under a second with no fluid taste.

If anybody is considering these lighters hope this helps.

Larry

Top Bottom