What's new

46-47 Aristocrat, Smitten with it!

Just got this 46-47 Gold plated Aristocrat in yesterday.

Gave it a good cleaning, tightened the crimp groove for the knob. (found a few techniques right here on the B&B)

Had a great shave with it this morning! Astra blade. WOW BBS all over. Even in my trouble areas under the jaw along my neck. Never can get it completely smooth, always stubble. Not today! BBS!!

I believe the fact of the weight and fat handle for me makes a difference. Feels natural in my hand. My old 39-45 tech shaved just as well, again weight and a fat handle. I can get a good shave with my ranger tech and supper speeds but not as close as I did with this Aristocrat.

Dang! I love this razor!

940473FE-6E6C-4A5A-8946-D6EFC7145C0E.jpeg

7E6A244F-1048-4B1A-9B90-5D8482543E8B.jpeg

I do like the Aristocrat. It does shave nicely. Congrats. Maybe send it off for replating if you really like it. Make it a stunner in looks too.

I would like to know more about this tightening of the crimp groove???

Last edited:
I do like the Aristocrat. It does shave nicely. Congrats. Maybe send it off for replating if you really like it. Make it a stunner in looks too.

I would like to know more about this tightening of the crimp groove???
I used a butter knife and the counter. I took the back side of the knife and covered the edge with painters tape, placed the razor on the edge of the counter so the head hangs over. Placed the back of the blade in the crimp groove and put a bit of pressure on the knife and rolled it down the edge of the counter top, did it four times. It worked fine tightening it up! No more slop or droop. And with the tape between the blade and the groove, nothing got messed up.

I know and other than it's in great shape, it doesn't have high value as there's no case, etc. If I destroyed the plating, I know a guy... ;) Maybe I'll use it later today as it's been awhile.
I have a cased one (no blade bank) that has a little brass patina showing through. Only paid $45 for it. Thinking about sending it to Chris at BRG to have it replated. I’d think about keeping it in the original gold

I have a cased one (no blade bank) that has a little brass patina showing through. Only paid $45 for it. Thinking about sending it to Chris at BRG to have it replated. I’d think about keeping it in the original gold
I think of him as a last resort. Great work but I don't mind a little wear on a vintage razor so long as it remains clean and shiny. The Old Type that I ended up getting free with no plating to speak of and a stripped top cap screw got the full treatment from Chris and it's now a thing of beauty which no longer matches the Pocket case or Blade bank but that's OK.

Used my copper Aristocrat this morning as I haven't used it in a while. What a great shave. Definitely need to use this razor more often. It hangs with my top performers for close, comfortable shaves. Hard to beat a classic.

Top Bottom