What's new

Next aftershave, coming from Proraso

Hi all,
I'm hoping to draw from your experience regarding different aftershave lotions, with Proraso as a reference point for me.
I am looking for some new aftershave to try. There are many aftershave lotions with appealing descriptions and great reviews, but with limited reference for me and no chance to smell them in real, I would appreciate some tips. So hope your experience can help!

I have Proraso Green and Sandalwood now, both as splash. I quite like them: classis smell, nice sting, good skin nourishment for me, and readily and affordably available in Europe (important). Just want to try something different now.
I definitely appreciate the variation of choice between the fresh menthol scent and more classic woody-barbershop-type smell, though the Sandalwood is already on the heavy side for me. I am also quite curious to having a third scent that is more more herby or foresty (cypress-like).
Usually I prefer simple, not too heavy, classic smelling lotion or "splash" that is affordably and easily available in Europe. (And not having my bathroom stocked with aftershaves..)
The usuals like Proraso, Clubman Pinaud, Pitralon, ToBS, Myrsol, etc. are easy to get here.

As for herbs, Myrsol Agua Balsamico is on the list. More foresty, ToBS Jermyn street sounds good too (though a bit more pricey).
For menthol, I read that Pinaud Clubman Osage and Myrsol Formula C are good alternatives.
For woody-type aftershave, Pinaud Clubman original or Pitralon Classic should be on the list I think?

What I also read though, is that most aftershaves are just alcohol + scent, and Proraso is one of the few to add nourishing agents. I definitely do not want to loose that, it's one of the things I absolutely love about the Proraso.

So any advice on which ones I could try next for each "style"? How do the ones listed compare to the Proraso's? Any strong "do-no-try's"? Help is appreciated!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Focus Senateur is a nice splash.

senateursplash.01.jpg

I agree with the above, Speick is fantastic in terms of performance, ingredients and fragrance.

I'd also recommend you checkout Hattric aftershave, great stuff. An iconic German brand. Fresh fragrance with herbal notes.
1668218512988.png

Probably harder to come by is Ralon from Croatia, perhaps my favourite aftershave in terms of performance. It's the only aftershave still made according to the original Pitralon formula (the name was changed from Pitralon to Ralon due to trademark issues after the fall of East Germany). Made in Croatia since the 50's.
1668218250011.png

Another to check out is Wilkinson Classic aftershave from Germany, fantastic traditional fragrance. May also be hard to come by, outside of Germany and neighbouring countries.
1668218630941.png

Great suggestions, thanks a lot!
Proraso's Cypress & Vetyver
That one comes as a balm, not? Could be worth a try, although I prefer splash.

For "herby" you can't go past Speick
Indeed I found it after my first post. It's definitely on my shortlist now! I guess it would be most comparable to the Myrsol Agua Balsamico, yet quite different?

I'd also recommend you checkout Hattric aftershave, great stuff. An iconic German brand. Fresh fragrance with herbal notes.
Also sounds good. Fresh and herbal, sounds quite different than my current Proraso's, and more similar to Speick?

How do the Pitralon Original and Talon compare to Proraso Sandalwood in scent? As said, especially the woody-type smell should not be heavier than the Proraso Sandalwood.

Great suggestions, thanks a lot!

That one comes as a balm, not? Could be worth a try, although I prefer splash.

It comes as a balm, splash, and cologne. :)

Indeed I found it after my first post. It's definitely on my shortlist now! I guess it would be most comparable to the Myrsol Agua Balsamico, yet quite different?

I haven't tried the Myrsol, but speick (valeriana celtica) has a unique scent. It is fresh and has a very pleasant, almost medicinal, note.

Pitralon classic has a woody (cedar) scent.

Speick Men has a spicy citrus herbal lavender scent.

Myrsol Aqua Balsamica has a woody green herbal scent.

I think with those three you should be in good shape on the aftershave front.

If you want menthol, it is easy to add to most any alcohol-based aftershave using menthol crystals or drops.

Last edited:
This is great help, much appreciated!

On the shortlist I now have (and please correct my "classification" if I'm wrong):
Foresty/herbal: Myrsol Agua Balsamico, Speick, Proraso Cypress.
Classic barberstyle (woody): Pitralon Original, Hattrick

The Speick, Pitralon and Hattrick are readily available in German drug stores, not here unfortunately. But I will be in Germany again in a few weeks, so I can actually smell these three before buying.
The Myrsol and Proraso will go on the holiday wishlist.

Pitralon classic has a woody (cedar) scent.
How would you compare this to Proraso Sandalwood? I do like the classic scents, but as said the Proraso is on the limit of how heavy/thick the smell is for me.

It comes as a balm, splash, and cologne. :)
Interesting! Thusfar I can only find the balm and cologne, even on the Proraso website. It would be great as a splash!

It comes as a balm, splash, and cologne.
I do not think this is correct

only cream, balm, and cologne exist.

please correct me if I am wrong (with a link to a single-blade line aftershave splash). Id really like to purchase a matching splash product for this

On the shortlist I now have (and please correct my "classification" if I'm wrong):
Foresty/herbal: Myrsol Agua Balsamico, Speick, Proraso Cypress.
Classic barberstyle (woody): Pitralon Original, Hattrick

Last week I was in Germany and visited a local store that had the Pitralon, Speick and Hattrick in stock. Judging from a few whiffs, I only took the Pitralon.
Hattrick: not my thing, much heavier/more musky and "grandpa-like" than Proraso Red. I need to double my age for this probably. My partner despised it.
Speick: interesting, but did not directly appeal to me. It is more citrusy but also some stale base notes. Partner also did not like this.

I tried Pitralon twice now at home and am not fully convinced yet. Maybe I need to get used to it still. The base notes are quite comparable to Proraso Red, but the Proraso is fresher and lighter in the top notes.

Finally, the Myrsol Agua Balsamico is still on my wishlist and I have good hopes Santa will bring it. Looking forward to trying that one!
I will probably buy another Proraso Green and then I should have a good trio of classic (Pitralon/Proraso Red), fresh (Proraso Green) and herbal (Myrsol Agua Balsamico).

I clicked on this thread because the title made me think Proraso was releasing a new aftershave, and the OP had secret advance knowledge of it.

Since the OP is not Marco, I should have known better...

I clicked on this thread because the title made me think Proraso was releasing a new aftershave, and the OP had secret advance knowledge of it.

Since the OP is not Marco, I should have known better...
LOL, Same here

As for aftershaves, I am a big fan of the Denim line
I have Original (My Favorite)
Musk
Raw Passion
Azure

Recently put in an order for Patrichs and Red by Paolo Barrosso so looking forward to trying those

I tried Pitralon twice now at home and am not fully convinced yet. Maybe I need to get used to it still. The base notes are quite comparable to Proraso Red, but the Proraso is fresher and lighter in the top notes.

Finally, the Myrsol Agua Balsamico is still on my wishlist and I have good hopes Santa will bring it. Looking forward to trying that one!
Coming back to this with an update after having used Pitralon and Myrsol balsamico for a while now.

The Myrsol is fantastic, great product. Nice herbal scent, strong on the rosemary/eucalyptus. It has a good sting when applying and good soothing properties, just like Proraso.

The Pitralon scent has grown on me, quite like it. Slightly different than the Proraso red, but a good replacement in the summer months.
The sting is also good. It feels less slick than Proraso but still has good nourishment.

The only thing that I am still looking for is a nice foresty scent. I have a nice Italian cypress soap. If I ever come across something like that in a splash, I'd buy it instantly. (Or I might try the Proraso balm at some point.)

Top Bottom