What's new

Who Has A Really Great Towel?

It seems we don’t talk about this a lot, for some reason. I am convinced that one of the most important ingredients for a really great shave is having a really great towel, but I definitely haven’t found ‘the one’ yet. It seems it’s not so easy to find the perfect shaving towel, and shaving vendors don’t seem to focus on them much. So who among you has a shaving towel you really like, where did you get it, and what do you like about it?

Also, do any of you have strong preferences for a shaving towel? Material, colour, softness, thickness, size, logos vs plain, or any other features that matter to you?

Finally, does anyone here possibly have towel acquisition disorder? Is that a thing? Should we make it a thing?

If its not a thing it will be now after this thread was started 😆
It is maybe starting to be a thing for me. If I buy a shaving towel I buy two, so I have one when the other is being laundered. And then I’m still looking for a better towel so I have a few different shaving towels, times two.

I’m hoping the thread will help me make my next towel acquisition the definitive one (times two). But we all know that’s when the disorder really starts.

Enjoy my green- and blue-striped shave towels!
Any respectable den needs to have a supply!

towels.jpg

My towels come from Hilton. I travel a lot. I have a lot of hand towels. They fold perfectly and provide me all I need for a great shave.
I never got into the whole hotel towel collecting thing. All of them have flossed dozens of butt cracks before you encounter them, wouldn’t you think? Surely that traumatizes the cotton fibres, or something, and makes the towel perform below its potential. In my mind it does, anyway.

For shaving specifically, I use microfiber cloths I bought in bulk at Costco in the auto department. These are used for cleaning the razor, wiping the counter, etc. For my face, I use the bath towel right behind me. We get those at Costco too along with the matching hand towels -one of which is always hanging on a towel ring just above and to the right of the sink. I grab that to dry my hands when rinsing my face so I'm not picking up the razor with wet hands.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use two sets of ivory bamboo towels my wife decided didn't look nice in the bathrooms. She prefers white/white. So I have a wash cloth, hand towel and a large bath towel X 2. I fold the hand towel in half and use it on the vanity top. I set my razor there in between passes, same with the lathering bowl, etc. I also use it to assist in the razor disassembly cleaning and reassembly. It makes a convenient surface on which to reinstall the blade or put in a new one.

I have a separate "junk" hand towel hanging on a towel rack that I use to dry my hands when needed during the shave, dry the shaving bowl, dry the brush and for general surface clean up at the very end after everything is stored back in its place.

So you can see... I have given this ritual a bit of thought. I even put everything in the dryer at the end of every shave and at the end of every shower on non-shaving days so they never get mildewed. I usually use the set for 3 shaves, then break out the other set.

I use two sets of ivory bamboo towels my wife decided didn't look nice in the bathrooms. She prefers white/white. So I have a wash cloth, hand towel and a large bath towel X 2. I fold the hand towel in half and use it on the vanity top. I set my razor there in between passes, same with the lathering bowl, etc. I also use it to assist in the razor disassembly cleaning and reassembly. It makes a convenient surface on which to reinstall the blade or put in a new one.

I have a separate "junk" hand towel hanging on a towel rack that I use to dry my hands when needed during the shave, dry the shaving bowl, dry the brush and for general surface clean up at the very end after everything is stored back in its place.

So you can see... I have given this ritual a bit of thought. I even put everything in the dryer at the end of every shave and at the end of every shower on non-shaving days so they never get mildewed. I usually use the set for 3 shaves, then break out the other set.
I’ll admit you’ve planned this in more detail than I could have conceived. I can’t detect any flaw in your towel-related arrangements. Is the bamboo towel good? I’m not sure I’ve used one.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ll admit you’ve planned this in more detail than I could have conceived. I can’t detect any flaw in your towel-related arrangements. Is the bamboo towel good? I’m not sure I’ve used one.
They are luxurious if you buy the good ones.. very fluffy.. dense.... absorbent... add to that "soft".

I used to collect vintage golf towels, specifically the Raulph Lauren Plaid ones. Loved the hook and grommet they had to hang on bottom of the shave shelf. However, they were not the softest of things believe it or not. So I sold my collection and improvised. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought the most expensive mid sized hand towels they had, I believe they are Egyptian cotton? These puppy's are soft! lol I then went up the street to the ma an pa hardware store and bought some grommets and some sticky hooks with a beef stick. I then made it home and drank a beer, ate the beef stick and proceeded too marry the towel and grommets. I then stuck the hooks on the bottom of my shelf and hung them up. Works perfect for me and my needs. Would I recommend this to someone and everyone, yes.20221110_194904.jpg

Last edited:
Any respectable den needs to have a s
Any respectable den needs to have a supply!

View attachment 1554667
Where did you get these from? I just bought the green striped from Amazon (made by Diane) and they were crap. Full of lint after multiple washings and starting to fall apart. Liked the thickness (which was thin) but the lint was an issue.

Top Bottom