What's new

Help picking my "forever brush"

I like smaller 2-band brushes. My all-time favorites are my Simpson Commodore X2 (21mm) and my very scrubby Yaqi Sagrada Familia (22mm). I could probably be happy with just these two, but I like travelling with a synthetic brush (usually a Yaqi Sagrada Familia tuxedo), since they dry so much faster. My x2 Commodore was my every-other-day-brush for nearly 10 years, until I rather recently reactivated my membership here and had a RAD/BAD relapse. It's probably still my favorite brush, but the little and inexpensive Yaqi also really hits the sweet spot for me.

Bottom line: Since I like letting my badger brushes dry ~48 hours between uses, and if I were an every-other-day shaver, I could probably get along with just the Simpson X2 Commodore or the Yaqi SF 22mm.

I bought my dad a Commodore X2 in best last summer, so that was my first target, upon starting my own search. He's very happy with it. But after reading what seemed like a near consensus for the Duke for face lathering and for the best all-arounder for under $100 that's where I'm landing (I also considered the Berkeley 46).

I do have a dedicated travel brush (Wee Scot) that I bought before really considering synthetics. Love the footprint for travel, and it performs incredibly for its size. But the drying issue is a consideration. I probably need _two_ travel brushes:)

Thanks @OB1

Reactions: OB1
I would consider a lower cost Yaqi for the synthetic and use the money saved to go for a higher end (2 band or 3 band) silvertip Badger.

The Simpsons and Muhle synthetics you listed are good but to me they aren't that much better than a lower cost Yaqi synthetic. I have both a 25mm Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic in a custom made handle that I paid over $100 for as well as a 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo synthetic that I paid $10 for and comparing the two I think that the performance (backbone, softness, and lather quality) is very similar. I like the the Muhle a little better but it's mostly due to the custom handle.

On the badger side of the fence you get a lot more for your money for that extra $100.

Reactions: OB1
EDIT: I'm sorry, looks like I failed to mention the badger grade of the Dukes in my OP. I'm looking at the Duke in Best.

Hi All,
I'm seeking some help from all the resident experts here. I've been DE shaving for more than ten years, but have been using the same EJ Best Badger brush (and the same razor for that matter - EJ89) this entire time. I'd like to pick one or two brushes that will get me through the next ten years :001_smile

Here are the brushes that I'm considering. For those of you with experience with one or more of these brushes, which would you pick if it was to be your only brush for the next decade? Feel free to vote for one of the badger options and one of the synthetics if you've used any of them.

Badger (these two seemed to be among the favorites on the threads I've read)
-Semogue Togue 3 finest/silvertip (22mm knot)​
-Simpsons Duke 2 (21mm knot). So many also rav about the Duke 3 that I'd consider that as well.​

Synthetic (also two of most frequently recommended in this category)
-Simpsons Trafalgar 1 with 23mm knot (The "2" is also an option as many rav about it)​
-Muhle Silvertip fibre synthetic with 21mm knot​

A bit of background: I face lather exclusively, mainly use cream soap (Porazo green tube), and prefer a smaller brush (20-22mm knot). I recently tried a Razorock Bruce, my first synthetic, and really liked the way it made huge amounts of lather with a wee bit of cream. But the thing feels HUGE to me! And I didn't really dig the way the lather "flicked" on occasion. But, having read a lot of the brush-related threads here, I've sensed a general enthusiasm for synthetics among members.... That's how I came to try the Bruce. Anyway, while I think I have a preference for the badger over synthetic, I don't want to dismiss the synthetics too quickly. And am willing to "cheat" a bit by picking one badger and one synthetic brush to carry me through:)

Thanks,
Sully

I would consider a lower cost Yaqi for the synthetic and use the money saved to go for a higher end (2 band or 3 band) silvertip Badger.

The Simpsons and Muhle synthetics you listed are good but to me they aren't that much better than a lower cost Yaqi synthetic. I have both a 25mm Muhle Silvertip Fibre synthetic in a custom made handle that I paid over $100 for as well as a 24mm Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo synthetic that I paid $10 for and comparing the two I think that the performance (backbone, softness, and lather quality) is very similar. I like the the Muhle a little better but it's mostly due to the custom handle.

On the badger side of the fence you get a lot more for your money for that extra $100.
That's good advice Jimmy. A lot of guys here also recommend that Yaqi brush. Have you ever tried the Razorock Bruce by chance? It seems like there may not be a huge difference in sub $100 synthetics. If that's the case, I may just keep the Bruce (if it performs similarly to others e.g. Muhle, Yaqi) and focus on a good badger closer to the top of my price range.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I'm sorry, looks like I failed to mention the badger grade of the Dukes in my OP. I'm looking at the Duke in Best.
Yes, that’s what I thought. You will get differing opinions on this, as you already know. I personally like the Simpson Best grade and really like it in my Duke 3. I have a lot of experience with Simpson brushes and own some very high end brushes as well.

I have a Duke 3 in Best and another in Silvertip. The silvertip knot appears almost half the size of the Duke with Best hair because it's not able to bloom as much. The best hair doesn't have as much backbone and therefore far more movement of hair so it's going to feel soft yet scrubby. At the expense of more scritch, it would be interesting if Simpson could set the knot of a Duke 3 Best just a mm lower to give it some more backbone. That's really my only complaint about it. I have an Eagle G3 in super- the hair appears identical to the Duke 3 in Best but it's packed so much more dense that it gives the brush some scritch, although still pleasant. My favorite Simpson hair is first Silvertip then Best.

That's good advice Jimmy. A lot of guys here also recommend that Yaqi brush. Have you ever tried the Razorock Bruce by chance? It seems like there may not be a huge difference in sub $100 synthetics. If that's the case, I may just keep the Bruce (if it performs similarly to others e.g. Muhle, Yaqi) and focus on a good badger closer to the top of my price range.

Thanks for the help!
I haven't used the Razorock Bruce specifically however for several years my primary brush was a 22mm Plisson synthetic which is what the Plissoft style imitations like the Razorock Bruce are designed to imitate. Compared to the Yaqi Sagrada Familia and the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, the Plisson is slightly softer and has significantly less backbone (which most people view as a negative).

If a 2 band silvertip backbone is a 10 then a Muhle STF and Yaqi Tuxedo backbone are both at 7, and the Plisson is a 2.

In terms of softness, a Plisson is a 10, Muhle STF & Yaqi Tuxedo are at 9, and 2 band silvertip is a 7.

I vote Duke 3 in Best. Or Duke 2 if that size is more suited to you. Easily a great value that will last you more than 10 years. I had a Duke 3 in best that was my first "real" nice brush. I used only it to exclusively face lather for about 3 years before discovering that the M7 is basically a duke 3 on a stick and suited my hands better.

At the end of the day only you can decide what will make you happy, do let us know what you choose!

I haven't used the Razorock Bruce specifically however for several years my primary brush was a 22mm Plisson synthetic which is what the Plissoft style imitations like the Razorock Bruce are designed to imitate. Compared to the Yaqi Sagrada Familia and the Muhle Silvertip Fibre, the Plisson is slightly softer and has significantly less backbone (which most people view as a negative).

If a 2 band silvertip backbone is a 10 then a Muhle STF and Yaqi Tuxedo backbone are both at 7, and the Plisson is a 2.

In terms of softness, a Plisson is a 10, Muhle STF & Yaqi Tuxedo are at 9, and 2 band silvertip is a 7.
Dang! Thanks Jimmy. That's very helpful. I hadn't even caught the difference between Plisson and Plissoft. I thought they were the same -- either it's my dyslexia or the marketers got me! But from the few uses I agree with your rating of the Plisson on backbone and softness.

Cheers!

Yes, that’s what I thought. You will get differing opinions on this, as you already know. I personally like the Simpson Best grade and really like it in my Duke 3. I have a lot of experience with Simpson brushes and own some very high end brushes as well.
Thanks Trey. So many people like their Dukes! It would be hard to go wrong it seems but you'all got me considering the 3 now.

While I'm here, is there something specifically about the Best that you like? Is that compared to silvertip?

Thanks Trey. So many people like their Dukes! It would be hard to go wrong it seems but you'all got me considering the 3 now.

While I'm here, is there something specifically about the Best that you like? Is that compared to silvertip?
I have never tried Simpson 2-Band Silvertip. I have tried Best, Manchurian, and Super (which is 3-Band Silvertip). I do like all of Simpson grades that I’ve tried. I suspect that I might like the 2-Band Silvertip best of all based on descriptions—and I do intend to try it one of these days.

The Duke 3 in Best, to me, seems particularly well suited for that grade of hair. It is noticeable softer than the same brush in Manchurian—although it does have less backbone.

I do imagine that a Duke 3 in 2-Band Silvertip would be an awesome brush, but I can’t speak from experience. I’m sure someone else will chime in though.

Again, I’ll note that I have some very nice brushes—two Varlets, a Declaration Grooming B14, and a Mozingo ZT3–yet the humble Duke 3 in Best stays in my rotation.

I too prefer brushes in the 20 -22mm range and suggest since you know what you like stay within that range. I have both the Torga C3 in Finest and the Duke 2 in Best. Picking one would be tough. If I had to I would get the Semogue first and then eventually the Duke 2. Both are worth having and deliver a fine shave. My Torga has a lovely face feel with some scrub in the background, the Duke is a bit softer on the face but with good backbone and tip feel.

I also have an Eagle 2 in Sovereign fibre and had a Muhle STF 21mm. Both are lovely brushes for synthetics and I would be happy with either. If required to pick one the edge would go to the Muhle.

Goodluck!

I have never tried Simpson 2-Band Silvertip. I have tried Best, Manchurian, and Super (which is 3-Band Silvertip). I do like all of Simpson grades that I’ve tried. I suspect that I might like the 2-Band Silvertip best of all based on descriptions—and I do intend to try it one of these days.

The Duke 3 in Best, to me, seems particularly well suited for that grade of hair. It is noticeable softer than the same brush in Manchurian—although it does have less backbone.

I do imagine that a Duke 3 in 2-Band Silvertip would be an awesome brush, but I can’t speak from experience. I’m sure someone else will chime in though.

Again, I’ll note that I have some very nice brushes—two Varlets, a Declaration Grooming B14, and a Mozingo ZT3–yet the humble Duke 3 in Best stays in my rotation.
That's quite an endorsement for the Duke 3 with $400 brushes as stable mates! I had never heard of those brushes, so had to look them up. Can't imagine I'd ever be able to pay that for a brush, but I respect your view that the best badger Duke 3 at $100+ can compete. Like I said, a pretty good endorsement. Thanks for the input.
-Sully

Besides the Muhle STF Rudy Vey brush, I also like the Shavemac fiber. It has a bit more backbone, but still has soft tips. This is my go to brush for my Mitchell's Wool Fat.

I love to watch how this community comes together when a fellow member needs help. You guys..., you guys never disappoint.

proxy.php

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have the RR Bruce and the Muhle STF brushes, and @jimmyrules712 is 100% on the money here.

The Bruce is almost a makeup brush compared to the 25mm STF. Super soft, very little to no backbone where the the STF is soft with a nicely firm backbone.

I am in a bit of a Simpsons rabbit hole right now. Last Black Friday I picked up a Duke 3 2 band and an M7 Manchurian.

The Duke 3 2 band has very soft tips and nice backbone for face lathering. The handle is big enough for me for bowl lathering also. The M7 Manchurian is a brush that feels best if I have 2 days growth. Its almost too scrubby for me if I've had a close shave the previous day.

This May I picked up a Classic 2 in best, and I really like the best grade of hair, so much so that I also got a Duke 3 in best, lol. Comparing both Duke 3s, the 2 band is definitely softer and the best feels a bit bigger on the face because it blooms bigger and is more of a fan shape. The Best is the perfect amount of scrub for me, that I can face lather with every day. I don't think I'll buy another Manchurian and it will mostly be used for bowl lathering.

In August I picked up a Classic 2 in Super and a 58 in Best. It was my first Simpsons Super. The Classic 2 is really dense and soft, but not as soft as the Duke 3 2 band. The 58 in Best feels bigger on my face than the Duke 3 in best and is just as enjoyable to use as the Duke 3 best. I think the 58 will mostly get bowl/scuttle lathering duty this winter.

A week ago I placed an order for a Duke 3 in Super and a Classic 2 in 2 band!

So I really do like my Duke 3's and Classic 2's. The Duke 3 is a little more versatile for me though because the Classic 2 handle is a bit too small for bowl lathering.

Shavemac Butterscotch.JPG
La Toja Stick.JPG
Rudy Vey 2.JPG

Top to bottom: Shavemac 28mm Fiber; Yaqi 22mm; Muhle STF by Rudy Vey.

The Shavemac and the Yaqi replaced my boar brushes for harder soaps. I really like these two brushes. MWF or GFT are whipped to a good, thick lather with these two. The Shavemac can be configured using their Configurator. There are many handle styles and colors available. The Yaqi is the Cola version, which I think was recently discontinued for newer models, but there are still plenty out there. Both of these brushes have good backbone and soft tips.

The Rudy Vey uses the Muhle STF and it is so much better than my badger brushes I gave them away. I use this brush for creams and croaps.

I face have face lathered and palm lathered with all of these. What I usually do is a combination of bowl and face lathering and all of these work well for that.

Top Bottom