What's new

Death Match! Potassium Alum or Ammonium Alum

I've read quite a few threads with varying opinions on Alum Blocks. There are staunch supporters of Potash Alum & others that state that Ammonium Alum works as effectively for post shave but may sting a bit more on nicks & cuts (subjective). So, for those of us not sure, let's hash it out. Those men out there using either type please bring your $.02 to the party and anyone who wants to wax intellectual on the topic, bring it.

Ok - here's my take. Both work well post-shave and as deodorants.

However I have a hypothesis (and it's by no means certain) that ammonium alum may break down under certain circumstances (in my case a particularly strenuous cycle ride) and release ammonia locally - which may lead to an ammonia rash (aka nappy rash / diaper rash).

Pure conjecture on my part - but since I stopped using ammonium alum for deodorant (and switched to potassium alum), the irritation I experienced hasn't been repeated (despite an even more punishing cycle ride being tested more than once).

Potassium Alum - for the face.
Ammonium Alum - for the pits.

I would try PA for the pits...don't know if it'd work as well. But AA for the face...:censored::frown2:

don't use alum on my face but for the last two months have been using potassium alum for the pits with quite amazing results.

I am very interested in what folks have to say, too. I have been using potassium on my face for the past few months and really like it. Did not know there were two kinds, frankly, or thought that the ammonium alum was what was in a styuptic pencil/powder. I apply if right after I rinse my face from shaving, let it "sit" generally while I brush my teeth, and the afterwards splash on a bunch of bay rum and/or witch hazel, before rubbing applying some balm. My skin has never been better, and no razor bumps, which used to plague me, but who knows what of all of this is really doing the trick.

Used to used the same potassium alum I am now using on my face as a deodorant. It is labeled Thai crystal but I think it is nearly 100% potassium alum. Most deodorants make may pits break out. This did not for literally years and it really amazingly well as a deodorant. Then it started to irritate my pits and I had to switch to something else.

Potassium Alum - for the face.
Ammonium Alum - for the pits.

I would try PA for the pits...don't know if it'd work as well. But AA for the face...:censored::frown2:

I agree with this, especially for people with sensitive skin. The ammonium alum will be a little more acidic, which could bother the skin. This isn't as much of a problem in the pits, as some of the waste excreted in your sweat will act as natural buffers. KAl(SO4)2 on the face, NH4Al(SO4)2 in the pits!

Top Bottom