What's new

What's the holy grail of boar brushes?

2021 Semogue Spanish Shavers LE Mixture. Terrific brush.
1667905898503.jpeg1667905948040.jpeg

Any of Omega Boar Professional brushes work best for me. These are the company's larger knot and higher loft boar brushes. They make short work out of shaving soaps in creating richly whipped lather. Their break-in is short-term and the feel after soaking includes sufficient backbone and softer bristles sans scritch. Their knot-and-loft sizes make for a controlled lather, unlike some other higher loft brushes with scant knots. One guy's findings.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The "Holy Grail" of Boar brushes, is whatever it is you are using really, I have several and still breaking them in, its hard to say which one is the best, you got ones for face and head lathers, but I prefer the big handles boars for head lathers and smaller ones for face lathering.
That's just my 2 cents :p

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Holy grail? I'm not so sure because there are a good many great boars.

Jade.ProrasoPro.3-20.640.JPG

These great brushes are Omegas.

Perhaps the holy grail boar is the Omega Jade, if there is a holy grail.

The Proraso Pro is excellent once broken in.​

The Omega Mighty Midget is an excellent small brush, too.

9-14-20.Unbleached.Zenith.Wood.640.JPG

I would be amiss were I not to mention the excellent unbleached Zenith boars.

I might pick one as the holy grail.

Your Shaving sells 'em.​
Zenith.Unbleached.Boar.BrandNew.640.3-19-20.JPG

I am not often a fan of boars with nominal lofts higher than 57 mm, but that rule of thumb goes by the wayside with the unbleached boars.

Other Zenith boars even the bleached boars are great, too, but I'd suggest an unbleached is the bee's knees.

I am not a fan of most Semogue boars, but the Spanish Shavers LE is a wonderful brush.​
9-9-22.FOCS.CanadaSS.SemogueSpanishBoar.640.JPG

In particular, to me, the SOC boar is barely worth keeping around. Many disagree.

2-20-19.Mondial.Boars.Two.2.640.JPG

For boars taken right out of the box, requiring no breaking in, the Mondials are hard to beat.

The plastic ivory handle is my favorite of these two. I had a very hard time finding one.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It was made by one of our fellow members. I’m unsure if he dies commercial work, so I’ll let him respond.

I think this is the right forum to ask a question about a specific boar brush that might be a grail and might not be. The other day I was surfing internet searching for different brushes. I found a real beast of a brush. "The Big One" by Zenith. It's a giant boar brush the knott is 31 mm in diameter and loft over 50 mm. It looks like a Simpson Chubby 3. It's made in Sicily but only sold by the Gentle Shaver in USA.
Has anyone used this brush, and if so what was your experience?
For a boar brush it's a bit pricey but I'm sorley tempted. For nothing else, the brag factor. A boar Chubby 3 🐗🐷

I think this is the right forum to ask a question about a specific boar brush that might be a grail and might not be. The other day I was surfing internet searching for different brushes. I found a real beast of a brush. "The Big One" by Zenith. It's a giant boar brush the knott is 31 mm in diameter and loft over 50 mm. It looks like a Simpson Chubby 3. It's made in Sicily but only sold by the Gentle Shaver in USA.
Has anyone used this brush, and if so what was your experience?
For a boar brush it's a bit pricey but I'm sorley tempted. For nothing else, the brag factor. A boar Chubby 3 🐗🐷
I don't have experience with this brush but I just wanted to say thanks (very sarcastically) because there is a damn good chance that by the end this day, I'll have some as soon as the mailman delivers it. A 31mm boar not? Why? That's going to take me 3 months to break it in! Tividar, I hope you get coal in your stocking! hehehe <3

I don't have experience with this brush but I just wanted to say thanks (very sarcastically) because there is a damn good chance that by the end this day, I'll have some as soon as the mailman delivers it. A 31mm boar not? Why? That's going to take me 3 months to break it in! Tividar, I hope you get coal in your stocking! hehehe <3
Well, I'm going to have experience soon!

Top Bottom